• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Tell us about yourself and your bike!

Getting my oldest daughter a Yamaha TT90 next week.
:clap

Jeesh, I wish I had a Dad like you. My brother got the Harley 90 to ride. I just got to borrow my other brother's horse.

You tell your daughter I said "You Go Girl"!

Finally broke the Honda habit. I found this 1200 LTI in the St. Louis Post Dispatch this Spring after looking all winter. Not many LT's on the market.

Reading about all the events and rides that everyone is taking, makes me a tad jealous. I've barely had time to get out for a Sunday afternoon ride, much less experience the adventures of these riders.

. . . . . . . maybe this year?

Don

http://brodon.mystarband.net/index.htm

Attachments

• with the beemer 2 640 x 480.jpg
    with the beemer 2 640 x 480.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 2,349
K100RS

Hello all,

Just a few lines to introduce myself. My name is Eddie Rich. Emerald Isle, NC is where I call home, 600 feet off the beach! The better half and me decided to come to the coast while we had the health. Living here is like be on vacation year 'round!

I commute to work back to Raleigh some 165 miles every week. I only work three days and then come home. I bought my KRS last June and have already put over 11,000 miles of smiles on it. Its my first BMW, but not the last. Might try the R/RT next.

Anyway, glad to have this forum. Should provide lots of info for everyone. Been a member of BMWMOA of five years due to the excellent magazine.

The only advice I can give at this time is if you have not taken the Experience Riders Course by MSF, you are missing some valuable lessons. If you have, then you know how fun it is. I try to take it every year. I always learn something new to make riding more fun and safe.

Ride Safe,

Eddie

Last edited:
Pictures

Trying to post picture of K100RS.:dunno

Attachments

• mefalls.jpg
    mefalls.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 2,333
Last picture.

Ride Safe,

Eddie

Attachments

• foggyme.jpg
    foggyme.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 2,327
I'm I next ?

Well I will try this.
My name is Kevin Frantz and I am from Warsaw, In. I am divorced for 15 years but I have been married to my bike or bikes for 26. :) I work for a hospital doing electrical and maintenance work for about 4 years.

I just bought my first Bmw ever. It is a R100GS and it is sweet:clap .. Never thought I would ever like a bike as I do this one. My father has owned quite a few himself. I wished he could come to this rally with me , but he can not make it to this one.

I have not been to a rally in a long time. The last one I attended was the one in Escanaba,Michigan. I don't really know anyone in the club but I hope to have a lot of new friends by the end of the rally. I will enclose a picture of me and my bike. If any one has a chance to read this and happens to see me please say hi. Hope to see you at the rally....:brow

Attachments

• me on bike.jpg
    me on bike.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 2,281
Hi I'm Dave Andersen

I live in Tacoma, Washington. I Started riding in College (1990) on an old bike of my dad's. I started because I couldn't afford a car and the bike was in the garage. It was a 1981 Suzuki 400 single cylinder road bike. A forgettable and regrettable ride except that I got hooked and didn't even know it. I got a car when I graduated, but never forgave myself for getting rid of the bike.

Five years ago I started driving by bike stores that weren't on the way home. A little while later, I bought a K100RS and have been riding it ever since. It's got a little under 50K and runs like a champ. For mods, it's got a throttlemeister, a parabellum tall windshield and high rise bars. I'd really like to get some fog lights for it. If anyone knows of some decent yet not too expensive fog lights, post on gear thread. Sorry, no pics. It looks like iiricy4u's bike (above) but not as clean.

I commute to Olympia and back every day (25 miles or so unless I take the long way) My work takes me to eastern Washington on a semi-regular basis, so I enjoy taking my bike over when I can trust that the passes won't snow in. The longest trip so far was a trip to Calgary.

My favorite roads are State Route 112 from Port Angeles to Neah Bay and State Route 410 over Chinook Pass. I would also love to go back to the midwest and ride some of the roads I remember from there. Especially from Prairie du Chien, WI to Madison and from Hannibal, MO to St. Louis.:cool:

This is me

I'm a 40 y/o married father of two boys. I've been riding since I was 20 with some brief time off. I was also a motorcycle police officer about 10 years ago.

I live in Connecticut and when home I like to ride east of the river in those cute little Yankee towns and countryside. I also regularly take a 15+ mi ride to and from work through some back roads.

I love to travel and camp off my bike, usually with a BMW rally as a destination. My favorites are the BRP, Vermont, the Adirondacks and eastern Ontario.

See my website

My other hobbies are HAM radio and NY Mets baseball.

MarkF

Riding Buddies

Hello,

My name is David 42 single.I have been riding since 95'.I rode 3 different Harleys before finding BMW.I took a few nice 2 wk solo tours on the Harleys..New Orleans,Sturgis,Western Canada.Just enough to whet my appetite.In Nov 2000,after a few "life event changes" and finding on the web that true"globetrotters" rode a R1150 GS I sold the HD left MInneapolis and headed south on my new ride,"The Silver Beast".
The GS is"The Bike".
22,000+ miles and 10 months.I hit most of Mexico in 4 months.Circled the SW US and headed up the west coast.Western Canada via the inside passage and Stewart Ak.I think I hit almost every Natl Park.After 9/11 my heart wasn't in it and I cut the trip short after circlng the great plains.Man,I never felt so alive as during that trip.I am in SE Iowa now and new to the area.
I am always looking for riding buddies!!!
I kept a journal and took 1,000 pictures.I have some on my web page but I need to edit and upload the rest.
See you at the Iowa Rally June 12-15 in Kalona
goab(guy on a beemer)

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your pictures, Goab. It sounds like you're digging the GS.

Intro

Hi, I'm Eric and I live in Austin, Tx, 44 and single.
My father also got me hooked on BMWs. He was the east USA
sales rep for butler and smith while they were
the BMW importer in the late 50's early '60s.
He also took me to my first daytona in 1974
where I saw Ago win on the TZ 700 and Reg Pridmore
on a BMW 750 (talk about a mismatch)

With the exception of a few lean years in the early '80s
I've only owned BMW bikes ever since; starting with a R75/5,
then an r65LS that I bought while I was in the army
and kept for 12 years .

In '97 I found the dark side when I bought a
FYKRS. I had trouble staying upright on it (no fault of the bike)
though so I decided to get something more expensive,
faster, and heavy than the FYK leading to my main
ride below;) I also have acquired yet another K10rs
that I'm doing some slight tweaking on........

I've made alot of friends through the IBMWR list
and the rallies I've made it to. I hope to
meet some more at the WV rally next month.

Attachments

• poser.jpg
    poser.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,946
'scuse me while I whip this out (my ego, that is)

Hey, folks. My name is not in fact Harvey Mushman, it's Tim White. I'm 29, married to the lovely and gracious Lady Pamela, and the father of 3 fur-kids. Two-legged kids are probably not too far down the road. Pam and I are both graduates of the University of Georgia. She is a teacher and I am employed as a writer (technical and otherwise) by a federal contractor in Virginia.

I started riding in Feb. '01, on a '00 Kawasaki ZR-7. It was (and is--it's for sale!) a great bike and I put nearly 30K miles on it in two years. But I wanted something more broadly capable, something to take me wherever I wanted to go with ease. So I bought a '02 R1150GS this past Feb. and I'm very happy I did. In 12K miles I've found it to be a fun and capable commuter, backroad explorer, trackday weapon, and two-up wanderer.

Assuming there is no snow or ice, I ride to work every day and spend most of my free time searching for new roads (paved and non) in the Virginia and West Virginia hills.

Hello.
150623-M.jpg

Be careful out there, Pam says.
223682-M.jpg

Hi. I am one of the many Daves here. Actually I'm the best one of them. Kbasa and Fish are posers. I've been riding for almost 4 years on my first and only bike: an '00 R1150GS. Since I don't commute (except to cafes), most of the miles on my ODO actually represent fun.

I hardly rode the bike for the first couple of years. Then, right after 9/11, I decided to ride it (most of the way) across the country. Boy was I unprepared :) But after that I was hooked.

In the last year or so I've gotten into endurance rallies. Now my friends all think I'm crazy. I've started to explore the offroad capabilities of the GS, and have also been discovering its on-road abilities are more than I had previously thought.

But my favorite rides are to the Dunkin Donuts 1/4 mile down the street, to get coffee.

cupholder2.sized.jpg

MrsKbasa said:
Hi Dave :wave

No fair posting pictures of Dunkin' Donuts. They don't have them here.

Now I know what my next ride report is going to be... I can probably string together a route of 30 or 40 of them within 10 miles of here

:rofl

EDIT: Update, there are 100 of them within 9.2 miles and 16 within 1.5 miles.

1: 275 THAYER ST, PROVIDENCE RI, 02906 USA 0.66 miles
100: 708 GREENWICH AVE, WARWICK RI, 02886 USA 9.2 miles

Last edited:
dizave said:
Now I know what my next ride report is going to be... I can probably string together a route of 30 or 40 of them within 10 miles of here

:rofl

That will be a pretty short ride....

;)

:wave
Howdy, Fish, Harvey, Mr. & Mrs. Kbasa and others ...
Name's Dan Pennell, a native of Columbus, OH where I still reside (luckily only about 4 miles from a BMW dealer).
I began riding in the mid-70s while in college. I'm not the type to casually jump into something, so I threw myself into motorcycling, reading everything I could get my hands on, learning everything I could. I did a little traveling but didn't have much of a budget. I rode Japanese bikes for about 12 years, got married, bought my first house - you can see it coming, can't you? - and sold my trusty Kawasaki KZ750. It was now time to be "responsible" and "safe".
Of course, that turned out to be quite boring, so I jumped back into bikes in a big way (literally) in 1993 with the purchase of a new GL1500 Gold Wing. But I had always secretly yearned for a BMW since reading the late Roger Hull's Road Rider magazine in the 70s.
A few years later - you can see it coming, can't you? - I got divorced and suddenly the Wing lost its appeal to me. It was time for something more sporting, yet still capable of cross-country travel. A lightly-used '96 R1100RT was my first dive into BMW ownership and it was love at first sight, sound, and feel. The fit, finish, quality, ergonomics and aesthetics of the Boxer Twin seemed to speak to me in a way no other bike had ...
Fast forward a couple of years and - you can see it coming, can't you? - I got remarried. The RT left a little to be desired 2-up, so I opted for the then-new K1200LT. Fantastic luxury tourer! I put 22,500 miles on the bike in short order, figuring I'd have it forever.
However, my wife didn't take to riding quite the way I'd planned and I was once again getting a serious hankering for another Boxer Twin, the GS in particular. That funky styling, the do-anything, go-anywhere spirit of the bike began to work on my soul again and before long, the LT was history, replaced by a black R1150GS.
I have my complaints about BMWs, mainly the expensive and too-frequent maintenance chores, but I have a hard time picturing myself on any other machines from this point on. Beemers are a quirky mix of tradition (the boxer engine), high tech (the Telelever suspension) and deliciously bold and ballsy styling. Plus the fact, when purchasing a BMW, the owner becomes a part of a very unique group of men and women who appreciate and even revel in riding something different than anything else on the market ...

Me posing near a famous road sign recently while in Missouri:

279517-M.jpg

And my bike:

290084-M.jpg

Back