• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Parking truck/trailer in Gillette?

henitsl

We're arriving the weekend before the rally in the Gillette area; trailering 4 bikes from Pennyslvania. Where can we leave the big rig while we ride the West and wait for the rally to open? I've emailed the Camplex people, but so far, no response?

Thanks, Les

We're arriving the weekend before the rally in the Gillette area; trailering 4 bikes from Pennyslvania. Where can we leave the big rig while we ride the West and wait for the rally to open? I've emailed the Camplex people, but so far, no response?

Thanks, Les

What do you mean by "big Rig" ? I'll see if I can get some info.

Parking for a trailer?

There is a Flying J Truck Stop off exit 126 West I-90. If you check in with the Fuel Desk you might be allowed to keep a trailer there?

If you leave the Flying J headed south on S Douglas Hwy/WY 59, turn left on Boxelder and that takes you back towards the rally site ( without getting back on I-90 ).

Thanks, Les

Tailoring four bikes from Pennsylvania?? This ain't a Harley rally.

Last edited:
I don't want to speak for Karol, but there is more stinkin parking room there than we'll ever fill. I'll guess you'll be just fine rolling right in with any size rig.

Why've you gotta be like that? Maybe he doesn't have vacation time. Maybe he's got a broken arm. Maybe they're show bikes for the vintage show.

I used to say stuff like that. I saw a guy pull into a rest area one time with an R100RT on the back and wandered over to give him a hard time about trailering his bike. When he got out of the passenger side, he had a cast on his arm.

Another time, I saw a guy with his CBX in the back of his truck. When I went to talk to him, he was going to some Honda event. He couldn't ride anymore because of his heart, but he still liked hanging around with bike people and couldn't bear to sell his bike.

If people can ride, they will. If they can't, they'll put them on the trailer because they like the people at the event.

When me and my friends go to a rally, we usually haul one bike and pull a travel trailer (due to one's medical condition-me) and the rest ride their bikes. We sorta draw straws and the loser has to drive the truck.

Also have a Trailer

We also have a truck camper and trailer just so we can go on longer trips. With this set-up we can travel longer distances than we would do if we rode the bikes. :bolt We also have a bed, shower and food with us all the time. But the most important thing is we have a space to put the "broken bikes and rides" who we meet along the way. We have even had to take a bike back to a "newly widow" wife . We have done this more times than I want to say. You never know when you will need help. So there are many reason why riders have their bikes on a trailer.

trailering

Why would you care?

At least he will be there in person instead of just badmouthing the event from his keyboard somewhere else. :scratch

Friedle

Geeze...lighten up folks. Sometimes I think all of you are wrapped a bit too tight. Being from South Dakota, I see an endless amount of trailers coming to Sturgis every year. It's becoming a big joke. Probably more folks trailer their bike than ride anymore. It never use to be that way.

The fun of going to a rally or any trip is riding to it. But if you want to trailer your bike to the middle of a prairie, have at it.

Last edited:
I lived in SD in the 70s and it was a joke back then.

Welcome to the board leshenits215. What bikes are you bringing? :wave

When I was at the cam plex last July/August, there was lots of rigs parked there, plus lots of stuff

might try barbara@cam-plex.com. she was very helpful, and may be able to help you or tell you where else might work. Good Luck!
See you in Gillette!

Red

ps, what a great attitude about picking up stranded bikers along the way. Having set for HOURS on the road waiting for help before in my life, I remember all too well the zillions of rigs that could of at least stopped went zooming on by
and at last some angel stops by and helps you get to help- thats you!

You make all the bikers proud! Keep it up, I think karma will find you!

Geeze...lighten up folks. Sometimes I think all of you are wrapped a bit too tight. Being from South Dakota, I see an endless amount of trailers coming to Sturgis every year. It's becoming a big joke. Probably more folks trailer their bike than ride anymore. It never use to be that way.

The fun of going to a rally or any trip is riding to it. But if you want to trailer your bike to the middle of a prairie, have at it.

Talk about needing to lighten up! and you aren't even going!
As mentioned in previous posts, you go how you can go...if there are more thrailers in Sturgis...could be because there are more people going now:dunno ..."It never use to be that way" . I have two trailers and if needed for whatever reason would put the bikes in or on them...or haul any for my buds. The Republic of TX Rally here in Austin brings thousands to town every June...a lot on trailers...SO WHAT?

We also have a truck camper and trailer just so we can go on longer trips. With this set-up we can travel longer distances than we would do if we rode the bikes. :bolt We also have a bed, shower and food with us all the time. But the most important thing is we have a space to put the "broken bikes and rides" who we meet along the way. We have even had to take a bike back to a "newly widow" wife . We have done this more times than I want to say. You never know when you will need help. So there are many reason why riders have their bikes on a trailer.

I used to make fun of my buddies trailer. That is until I trashed my clutch and needed him to come get me.

Thanks, Les
Have you tried PMing any of the Gillette members to see if they have some ideas? So how big is big??? Maybe I can HELP with some info. Richard

Richard, is there a local chapter of bikers in general? Even a Honda club or Hog club are just people who like to ride, and are most likely full of good Wyoming hospitality! Might not hurt to ask!

red

He wants to bring 4 bikes. Can you ride 4 bikes to the rally? :dunno

I remember riding across the northern plains in "98(?) to the MOA Rally in Missoula wishing I had trailered the RT!

This time I will be on a trike so at least I won't be leaning as much in the cross wind as then. At least I wore out both sides of my tires coming and going.

truck/trailer parking

Les, Did you ever get in touch with Karol Patzer concerning your question?

The Cam-Plex venue covers 1,100 acres. I feel fairly certain there is someplace to park your truck and trailer during the rally, but contact Karol (08 Rally Co-Chair) for the definitive answer.

Friedle

Back