• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Make my own avatar?

kbasa

Here's how to put up an avatar (that little picture under your name) that you like. It could be your club logo, it could be a picture of you on your bike, it could be a big scary fish, it's up to you.

First off - find a picture you like. I found my avatar, by doing a search at Google for kielbasa and clicking on the tab marked images. I found lots of pictures of kielbasa.

I found one I liked and then right clicked on it. On the menu that popped up, I selected "Save Picture As" and saved the picture to my desktop.

To tell if it was too big, I highlighted the file (now living on my desktop) and right clicked. I then selected "Properties" from the menu and looked at the "Summary" tab. Be sure you have "Advanced" displayed. If you look, you'll see that Windows will show you how wide and tall the picture is in pixels.

My image was a little too large and the maximum size for an avatar is 70 x 70 pixels.

To shrink my picture to the right size, I used Irfanview, which is free and available at Irfanview.com .

In Irfanview, I opened my picture and used Image>Resize and Resample to change the size.

I then saved the picture as kbasaavatar.jpg. My avatar was ready to upload.

I then clicked on the User C.P. button at the top of the screen and went to "Edit Options". Down at the bottom of the screen is a way for you to load your own image from your computer to use as your avatar.

And now you're done. A copy of your avatar is safely living up on the Bulletin Board's server. You can keep your copy in a safe place.

If you have questions, send me an email and I'll try and get you squared away.

Kbasa Mail

dave

:thumb

experience in avatars

kbasa thanx for sharing. As i understand, now that I have 1 post I can customize my avatar.

Re: experience in avatars

RRick said:
kbasa thanx for sharing. As i understand, now that I have 1 post I can customize my avatar.

My pleasure! Glad it worked for you.

:D

Jean Lachaud said:
Fascinating. Is there a way to print this message?

Centered under the column of messages is a button marked "Printable View" Click that and print it.

Jean, it looks like your avatar is still messed up.

dave

The avatar does not exist. Yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0160.jpg
    IMG_0160.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0246.jpg
    IMG_0246.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0544.jpg
    IMG_0544.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 3
Another tip on avatars and the use of irfanview, is to use the crop function to grab just a piece of a larger image (square, preferably), pull down the Edit menu and select Crop, then go about resizing it to the 70x70 pixel limit.

Step 1: Find an image you want to make an avatar out of. I like this one, but there's so much stuff in the photo, that it would look way too busy if I just resized it down to avatar size.

87322-Medium.jpg

Step 2: In your favorite photo editing software (irfanview, in this case), I crop down to just the doggy's face.

87323-Medium.jpg

Step 3: The image is just right, but it's still too big for an avatar (87 x 87), so I resized it down to 70 x70, sharpened it a little...and voila! A new doggy avatar.

87324-Medium.jpg

Easy and fun! :)

Attachments

• 1128005.jpg
    1128005.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 1128011.jpg
    1128011.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 3
fish said:
Yup...that's it exactly. How are ya, mully? :wave

Aw, hangin', mang. Bein' nibbled to death by ducks these days, knowhuddamean? :help Waitin' for riding season to fire up, like we all are.

You? :D

mully

fish said:
I fixed it for ya :D

Mully...riding season? In Mission Viejo? :rofl

What? You waiting for a day when the sun comes up? People back east think I'm spoiled in Marin....

:bliss

fish said:
I fixed it for ya :D

Mully...riding season? In Mission Viejo? :rofl

Yeah, I know. That was kinda weak, wasn't it? :D

Riding season starts as soon as I can get some of these alligators outta my office.......... or stop my boss(es) from bringing more in there and leavin `em. :banghead

mully

Good evenink ladies and germs, we are introducing a new cat tonight for the first time. Take it away Roy...Roy...Roy?
tiger.gif

Back