Chassis / engine: BMW Sauber F1.08-02/ BMW P86/8
    Test kilometres today: 344 km (86 laps)
    Fastest lap: 1:12.095 min

Nick Heidfeld
    Chassis / engine: BMW Sauber F1.07B-06 / BMW P86/8
    Test kilometres today: 156 km (39 laps)
    Fastest lap: 1:12.600 min

Programme:
    Nick Heidfeld drove the F1.07B again and continued working on the systems based on the 2008 rules. As yesterday, he had a limited programme. Robert Kubica worked on the set-up of the F1.08. The team was able to find some settings that are favourable to the new car. Robert also completed some long-runs.

Technical Director Willy Rampf: ‘«£In terms of reliability the F1.08 is already very good. We have covered numerous laps without any noteworthy problems to date. As far as performance is concerned, we are at the start of a comprehensive development phase. We have analysed the data from the test drives so far and identified the potential areas concerned. By the next test in Barcelona the car will already have received some relevant modifications. Following that, we will be using new components in all the other tests up to the start of the season. We have set ourselves an internal target which we aim to meet by Melbourne, and I am confident we will achieve that.‘«ō

What comes next:
    The BMW Sauber F1 Team will be testing in Barcelona from February 1 to 3.

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Australian GP - Practice
    03-14-2008 Press Release
    Weather: dry and windy, 32-37??C Air, 35-48??C Track

Melbourne (AUS). Unusual heat, strong winds and consequently a high amount of dust in Melbourne‘«÷s Albert Park welcomed Formula One for the curtain raiser of the 2008 season. BMW Sauber F1 Team driver Robert Kubica enjoyed two trouble-free practice sessions. Nick Heidfeld‘«÷s car stopped with 30 minutes to go in the first session due to an electrical power cut, in the afternoon he completed his programme as scheduled.

Robert Kubica:
    BMW Sauber F1.08-03 / BMW P86/8
    1st Practice : 7th, 1.28.579 min / 2nd Practice: 15th, 1.28.860 min
    ‘«£As well as working on the set-up of the car, we concentrated mainly on comparing the two tyre compounds. Degradation is quite a big issue in these hot conditions. We have to analyse the data and find out how best to exploit the full potential of the tyres.‘«ō

Nick Heidfeld:
    BMW Sauber F1.08-04 / BMW P86/8
    1st Practice : 16th, 1.29.561 min / 2nd Practice: 12th, 1.28.731 min
    ‘«£I still find it very difficult to make a judgement on everybody's performance. I'm afraid we have to be patient until tomorrow, at least until the second part of qualifying. I assume some of the cars which are higher up on the result sheet were lighter than us. I had no technical problems in the second session, and the failure in the morning just cost one run which isn't a drama."

Willy Rampf (Technical Director):
    ‘«£We are happy that the 2008 season has finally started here in Melbourne. We concentrated on the race preparations in both sessions and completed our programme including the tyre comparisons. Apart from one problem on an electronic switch in the first free practice, everything went according to plan. I think we are in good shape for tomorrow.‘«ō

Rally Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by M1ka View Post
    Nick Heidfeld‘«÷s car stopped with 30 minutes to go in the first session due to an electrical power cut,
    Was there a presidential motorcade in the area.........

Video Preview of Australia

Video Recap of Friday Practice

pitpass.com
    BMW 1-2 in final Saturday practice

pitpass.com
    Hamilton holds Kubica for pole

f1complete.com
    2008 qualifying times

Australian GP: Qualifying

Qualifying ‘«Ű Australian GP

Hamilton ‘«Ű Pole
    Kubica ‘«Ű P2

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Australian GP - Qualifying
    03-15-2008 Press Release
    Weather: dry, 22-24??C Air, 31-41??C Track

Melbourne (AUS). At the opening race of what is its third season the BMW Sauber F1 Team achieved its best ever qualifying result to date. In Melbourne Robert Kubica qualified in second position. Nick Heidfeld finished fifth in the expected breathtaking first battle of the year. In Q2, the part of qualifying that tells even more about the cars‘«÷ performance, Kubica and Heidfeld where second and fourth. In the morning‘«÷s third free practice they had been the leaders of the pack.

Robert Kubica:
    Qualifying 2nd, 1.26.869 min (3rd practice: 1st, 1.25.613 min)
    ‘«£P2 is a great achievement for the whole team, and that‘«÷s a good start to the season! I took a lot of risks in the second run of Q3, but finally it didn‘«÷t pay off. I went wide in corner twelve and ran on the artificial grass. This cost me between two and three tenths of a second and maybe pole position. We had quite a difficult day yesterday, but we were able to make a lot of progress. The F1.08 is a very quick car, but quite delicate to set-up and to drive. When I look back on what level we started testing, I have to give a big compliment to the whole team in Munich and Hinwil. Everybody worked hard analysing the problems and improving the car.‘«ō

Nick Heidfeld:
    Qualifying 5th, 1.27.236 min (3rd practice: 2nd, 1.25.950 min)
    ‘«£I am very pleased although I missed P4 by only hundredths. The entire qualifying went smoothly, it is a superb result for the team and better than expected. After our initial tests with the F1.08 hadn‘«÷t been very good we kept saying that we are working very hard and would make good progress. This is what became obvious today, and it is a great reward for everybody‘«÷s effort. I believe this was the first step in the direction we want to go this year. I‘«÷m very much looking forward to the race. Without traction control the start will be especially exciting and over the race distance I expect Ferrari to be stronger than today.‘«ō

Mario Theissen (BMW Motorsport Director):
    ‘«£We are very satisfied. Grid positions two and five mean the best qualifying result since we founded our team. Without his massive slide on his final lap Robert most likely would have been on pole. Positions on the first three rows of the grid were our target and this is what we have achieved, despite the Ferrari and McLaren cars being quick here in Melbourne right from the very first session. Back then we had been far away from really good lap times, but we kept working. To see the reward of the work is very pleasing.‘«ō

‘«£This was a good qualifying start to the new season. With grid positions two and five for Robert and Nick we are very happy, It's a pity that Robert missed pole by just a little bit. However, for him it was the best qualifying result of his F1 career. We are in a good position for the race with both drivers.‘«ō

Saturday, 15 March 2008 Australian Grand Prix Albert Park Melbourne Australia. BMW Sauber BMW Sauber F1 Team driver Robert Kubica (POL) in the BMW Sauber F1.08

Saturday, 15 March 2008 Australian Grand Prix Albert Park Melbourne Australia. BMW Sauber F1 Team driver Robert Kubica (POL) is second on the grid for Sundays race.

Qualifying excursion cost Kubica the pole.

Even so, Theissen is smiling

And hand shakes all around.

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Australian GP - Race
    03-16-2008 Press Release
    Weather: dry, 37-38??C Air, 48-51??C Track

Melbourne (AUS).The BMW Sauber F1 Team has achieved its fifth podium in its short career. Nick Heidfeld came second at the Australian Grand Prix. Team mate Robert Kubica, who had started from second and lay in fifth position in the race, was unlucky when another car crashed into the rear of the Pole‘«÷s car at a restart.

Nick Heidfeld: 2nd
    Fastest Lap: 1.27.739 min on lap 41 (3rd fastest overall)
    ‘«£This was a fantastic start to the season for us. The team was working extremely hard to solve the problems we had in the beginning with the F1.08. We made constant progress and we have not exploited the full potential of the car yet. At the start I had too much wheel spin and could not keep Nico Rosberg behind me. I thought it is going to become a difficult race because I expected him to pit earlier. But we stopped on the same lap and our crew did a really great job to get me in front of him. With my second pit stop I was lucky that the safety car didn‘«÷t come out earlier and I could refuel as planned. In the last stint I had to take care not to kill the option tyres. Overall the first race without traction control was less difficult than expected.‘«£

Robert Kubica: DNF
    Fastest Lap: 1.28.753 min on lap 15 (9th fastest overall)
    ‘«£My race went pretty well in the beginning. I was on a similar strategy to Nick and I had a good pace. Then the strategy was changed and this did not pay off for me. I got stuck behind Bourdais and lost a lot of time. I still had a chance to score some points, but then at the end of the third safety car period Nakajima crashed into the rear of my car and I had to stop.‘«ō

[img]http://m1ka.smugmug.com/photos/266292296_UcYpq-M.jpg[img]

‘«£This was a fantastic start to the new season for the BMW Sauber F1 Team. In a turbulent race with three safety car periods and numerous retirements, Nick kept cool and finished second, achieving the first podium of the season for the team. Only Lewis Hamilton was quicker. This was a real strategy game. Nick was somewhat lucky with the safety car periods, Robert was unfortunately unlucky. Towards the end, Nakajima pushed him off the track. Up to this point he had driven a strong race after his fantastic qualifying yesterday. Together with our qualifying performance on Saturday, this is a good basis for the next races. This was a motivation boost for the whole team. A big thank you to all our colleagues in Munich and Hinwil.‘«£

‘«£This was an exciting race which generated mixed feelings. It‘«÷s fantastic that Nick clinched second place, but at the same time I‘«÷m sorry for Robert who had an unlucky race. At the start Nick was overtaken by Nico Rosberg, but thanks to the fantastic work of the pit crew, he was able to overtake him in the pits. From that moment on he drove a fast and consistent pace. He finally benefitted from the third safety car period, and equalled the best result of the team so far. We changed Robert‘«÷s strategy during the second safety car period, but unfortunately he got stuck behind Bourdais and lost a lot of time. After Nakajima had crashed into the rear of his car, he stopped for safety reasons.‘«£

Sepang - Friday Open Practice

Friday wrap-up from Formula1.com

Friday Analysis – Who will challenge at Sepang?

FIA Friday press conference

Stewards demand
    Red Bull technical report

Selected Drivers quotes

Practice Two – Hamilton sets the Friday pace at Sepang

[ur=http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/3/7529.html]Coulthard[/url] misses P2, Red Bull summoned by stewards[/url]

Exclusive Interview – Toro Rosso’s Gehard Berger

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Malaysian GP - Practice
    03-21-2008 Press Release
    Weather: dry, 28-31??C Air, 41-45??C Track

Sepang (MAL). The BMW Sauber F1 Team overall had a positive start to the weekend of the PETRONAS Malaysian Grand Prix in the humid heat of Sepang. Robert Kubica was eighth fastest in both free practice sessions on Friday, although he lost some track time in the morning due to a gear box change. As planned, Nick Heidfeld was able to tick off his to do list for the usual Friday set-up work and was 11th and 13th.

Robert Kubica:
    1st Practice : 8th, 1.37.218 min / 2nd Practice: 8th, 1.36.671 min
    “After I had lost quite some time in the morning session due to a gearbox problem, we mainly concentrated on evaluating different downforce configurations and comparing the tyres in the afternoon. We now have a lot of data available, which we have to analyse and understand in order to make the right decisions for the rest of the weekend. We haven’t had much time yet to work on the set-up of the car, so there is more to come.”

Nick Heidfeld:
    1st Practice : 11th, 1.37.649 min / 2nd Practice: 13th, 1.37.106 min
    “I’m quite happy with the Friday sessions. The car’s balance here is initially better than it was on Friday in Melbourne, although it is not really good yet. I hope we manage to find a couple of set-up improvements for Saturday, just like we did in Australia. Although the track has been resurfaced, it has a quite good grip level which is not always the case. A big question mark is the weather. Precise predictions for rain are difficult here. I don’t have anything against normal rain, the opposite is the case. But even I don’t wish for a tropical downpour here for the race. If this happens you just don’t see anything and have too much aquaplaning.”

“We concentrated on the race preparation today and collected a lot of data concerning the tyres. We also tested different aerodynamic configurations. Now we will analyse the data. On Robert’s car we measured a gearbox pressure that was too high. There was a risk of damaging the cooling system, therefore we decided to change the rear end to enable Robert to continue the session. Compliments to the mechanics, who did a great job. We had a dry first day of practice, but we expect some rain for the remainder of the weekend.”

Last edited by M1ka; 03-21-2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: fix link

Heidfeld led Raikkonen, Massa and the rest of the field in Saturday practice before qualifying. Kubica was 17th.

Saturday‘«÷s one-hour qualifying session is split into three distinct parts, each with multiple drivers on track simultaneously, and each with the drivers running as many laps as they want:

Q1: All 22 cars may run laps at any time during the first 20 minutes of the hour. At the end of the first 20 minutes, the six slowest cars drop out and fill the final six grid places.

Results Q1:
    1 Trulli
    2 Kovalainen
    3 Massa
    4 Hamilton
    5 Webber
    6 Raikkonen
    7 Heidfeld
    8 Kubica
    9 Rosberg
    10 Button
    11 Glock
    12 Alonso
    13 Coulthard
    14 Piquet
    15 Vettel
    16 Barrichello

Cut
    17 Fischella Force India
    18 Nakajima Williams
    19 Bourdais Toro Rosso
    20 Sato Super Aguri
    21 Sutil Force India
    22 Davidson Super Aguri

Q2: After a seven-minute break, the times will be reset and the 16 remaining cars then will then run in a 15-minute session - again they may complete as many laps as they want at any time during that period. At the end of the 15 minutes, the six slowest cars drop out and fill places 11 to 16 on the grid.

Results Q2:
    1 Raikkonen
    2 Massa
    3 Hamilton
    4 Heidfeld
    5 Kovalainen
    6 Kubica
    7 Trulli
    8 Webber
    9 Glock
    10 Alonso

Cut
    11 Button Button
    12 Couthard Red Bull
    13 Piquet Renault
    14 Barrichello Honda
    15 Vettel Toro Rosso
    16 Rosberg Williams

Q3: After a further eight-minute break, the times are reset and a final 10-minute session will feature a shootout between the remaining 10 cars to decide pole position and the starting order for the top 10 grid places. Again, these cars may run as many laps as they wish.

Results Q3:
    1 Masa Ferrari
    2 Raikkonen Ferrari
    3 Kovalainen McLaren
    4 Hamilton McLaren
    5 Trulli Toyota
    6 Kubica BMW
    7 Heidfeld BMW
    8 Webber Red Bull
    9 Alonso Renault
    10 Glock Toyota

Provisional Grid

1 Masa Ferrari
    2 Raikkonen Ferrari
    3 Kovalainen McLaren
    4 Hamilton McLaren
    5 Trulli Toyota
    6 Kubica BMW
    7 Heidfeld BMW
    8 Webber Red Bull
    9 Alonso Renault
    10 Glock Toyota Button
    11 Button Honda
    12 Couthard Red Bull
    13 Piquet Renault
    14 Barrichello Honda
    15 Vettel Toro Rosso
    16 Rosberg Williams
    17 Fischella Force India
    18 Nakajima Williams
    19 Bourdais Toro Rosso
    20 Sato Super Aguri
    21 Sutil Force India
    22 Davidson Super Aguri

formula1.com

Hamilton and Kovaleinen are pushed back 5 positions for blocking in the final moments of Q3. Here is the revised provisional grid. Final grid will not be published until Sunday AM Malaysian time.

cheesewhiz
    M1ka,

This is a great thread!
    Your not gonna start charging for this are you?

No, really thanks for all the info and pics.

Whizzy

You‘«÷re welcome!

Here are some photos from the Sepang Qualifying

Win for Raikkonen/Ferrari, SECOND FOR KUBICA/BMW SAUBER and third for Kovalainen/McLaren.

The race broke down into to three sub-races. Ferrari was in a race of its own for 30 laps as Raikkonen and Massa traded fast laps and the lead. On lap 30 Massa spun out and beached himself on the gravel ending his race.

Kubica settled into P3 after a short time after the start. The race commentary consistently described him as having a lonely race. Adrift of the Ferrari and with the rest of the field adrift of him by roughly an equal amount Kubica motored on in a consistent and strong manner.

Trulli in the Toyota had a very strong showing ending the race in P4.

Heidfeld was unable to challenge after turn 1 ending the race in P6 behind Hamilton in P5. His one shinning moment, showing his strength and hope for the future, was setting the races final fastest lap on lap 55.

The provisional finish:

1 Raikkonen / Ferrari
    2 Kubica / BMW Sauber
    3 Kovalainen / McLaren
    4 Trulli / Toyota
    5 Hamilton / McLaren
    6 Heidfeld / BMW Sauber
    7 Webber / Red Bull
    8 Alonso / Renault
    9 Coulthard / Red Bull
    10 Button / Honda
    11 Piquet / Renault
    12 Fisichella / Force India
    13 Barrichello / Honda
    14 Rosberg / Williams
    15 Davidson / Super Aguri
    16 Sato / Super Aguri
    17 Nakajima / Williams

DNF
    18 Vettel / Toro Rosso
    19 Massa / Ferrari
    20 Sutil / Force India
    21 Glock / Toyota
    22 Bordais / Toro Rosso

Malaysian Grand Prix

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Malaysian GP - Race
    03-23-2008 Press Release

Weather: Overcast but dry, 30??C Air, 39-45??C Track

Sepang (MAL). In the humid heat of Sepang the BMW Sauber F1 Team scored 11 championship points ‘«Ű the best result for the young crew so far. Robert Kubica finished second after a strong performance at the PETRONAS Malaysian Grand Prix. Nick Heidfeld was sixth, having lost ground right after the start. For the statistic books there were eight laps in the lead for Kubica, and Heidfeld set the first fastest lap of the race for the team and himself. After two of 18 races the BMW Sauber F1 Team is second in the Constructors‘«÷ Championship with 19 points.

Robert Kubica: 2nd
    Fastest Lap: 1.35.921 min on lap 39 (6th fastest)
    ‘«£It‘«÷s a fantastic day for the team, for Petronas and for me - the second consecutive podium. After Monza 2006 I finally managed to get another podium myself. I want to thank everybody in the team who worked very hard over the last two months to improve the car. I didn‘«÷t have a good start because of too much wheel spin, and was fighting with Nick and Jarno Trulli. I took the dirty inside line and almost lost the car, but somehow I managed to get through the corner and overtake them. From this moment on I drove at my own pace. The Ferraris were too quick, but I was able to increase the gap from the cars following me. After the second pit stop I reduced the revs to save the engine and took it easy. I didn‘«÷t feel very well all weekend and it was very hot in the car, so the last ten laps were pretty tough. But it all paid off with a brilliant result.‘«ō

Nick Heidfeld: 6th
    Fastest Lap: 1.35.366 min on lap 55 (fastest overall)
    ‘«£I have mixed emotions about today‘«÷s race. Of course I‘«÷m happy to have clocked up my first fastest race lap in F1, and 11 points are also the best ever result for our team. The pace of the car was really, really good ‘«Ű about the same level as the McLaren. That‘«÷s all very positive and makes it even more disappointing that I only finished sixth. My start was very good and then I tried to overtake right on the outside in the first corner. Robert was on the inside, and Jarno Trulli was between us ‘«Ű I just ran out of room. It was a try, but it didn‘«÷t work out. I picked up some dirt and lost two more positions on the first lap. At least I got them back when I overtook David Coulthard and Fernando Alonso on lap four. Again our pit crew did a very good job.‘«£

‘«£This was another good performance for our team. Robert was able to establish himself behind the Ferrari right after the start. He drove a very strong race and claimed not only his second podium, but also his best result in F1. Nick had no luck in the first corner and lost some positions. I regard it as a success that he still managed to finish sixth and also clocked up the fastest race lap. Of course we are very pleased with the early days of the season ‘«Ű two podiums in two races, 19 nice points to our account and 11 points in one go is a new record for us. That‘«÷s all very positive and a good basis for the next races.‘«£

‘«£The second second place in a row, fastest race lap, thanks to Nick, and eleven points ‘«Ű we are very pleased how this season has started for us. It was another fantastic race for us. Only the Ferrari was faster than Robert today, and I am especially happy for him that all went so well after he had a lot of bad luck in Australia. While Robert was able to gain a place at the start, Nick unfortunately lost a few. Later he managed to come back and executed a very fine overtaking manoeuvre by catching two cars at once. We had no technical problems on either car, the performance was again very strong. Now highly motivated we fly back to Hinwil and Munich and look forward to the coming races .

Sunday, March 23, 2008 Malaysian Grand Prix Sepang Circuit Malaysia The Prime Minister of Malaysia Abdullah Ahmad Badawi visits the BMW Sauber F1 Team garage

Sunday, March 23, 2008 Malaysian Grand Prix Sepang Circuit Malaysia Robert Kubica (POL) in the BMW Sauber F1.08

Sunday, March 23, 2008 Malaysian Grand Prix Sepang Circuit Malaysia Nick Heidfeld (GER) in the BMW Sauber F1.08

Sunday, March 23, 2008 Malaysian Grand Prix Sepang Circuit Malaysia Nick Heidfeld (GER) in the BMW Sauber F1.08

Sunday, March 23, 2008 Malaysian Grand Prix Sepang Circuit Malaysia Robert Kubica (POL) in the BMW Sauber F1.08

Sunday, March 23, 2008 Malaysian Grand Prix Sepang Circuit Malaysia BMW Sauber F1 Team driver Robert Kubica (POL) finishes 2nd in the race

Sunday, March 23, 2008 Malaysian Grand Prix Sepang Circuit Malaysia BMW Sauber F1 Team driver Robert Kubica (POL) finishes 2nd in the race.