Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Formula One Thread

leeines

Smile 2008 F-1 Season

Wow, I would like to know what each and every one of the aerodynamic devices on the new BMW F-1 car is supposed to do for the performance of the car. More wings on it than a Foker WW 1 plane.

Quote Originally Posted by leeines View Post
    Wow, I would like to know what each and every one of the aerodynamic devices on the new BMW F-1 car is supposed to do for the performance of the car. More wings on it than a Foker WW 1 plane.
    That's part of why I think it's ugly, especially with all those weird multiple wavy bits on the nose. Speaking of noses, the current trend of long high up-pointy F1 noses is probably that part I find ugliest.

But I'm biased. The mid-late 1980s was when I was big into F1.
    2012 R1200GS
    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad
    http://www.thethingaboutcars.com/

Here are a couple of short pieces from Formula1.com on the Ferrari F2008 and McLaren MP4-23 and the various wings on them.

nose cone
    rear bodyg work

cheesewhiz
    For the amount of $ they spend developing those cars, I'm sure the investors would rather win the race than win the beauty contest.

Also, unless you've seen them in person it's hard to fathom just how quick these cars are when accellerating, braking, and turning.

My personal fav is the FW14 that Nige drove to the '92 title.

BTW: Thanks for posting those pics! Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesewhiz View Post
    Also, unless you've seen them in person it's hard to fathom just how quick these cars are when accellerating, braking, and turning.
    And there's no comprehending just how incredible those cars sound until you're there in person. TV just doesn't do it justice.
    Charlie: IBA, AMA, MOA
    2006 BMW R1200RT
    Ride Pictures
    Ride Blog

Positive start to BMW Sauber F1.08 testing in Valencia.
    01-15-2008 Press Release
    Valencia (Spain), 15th January 2008. The maiden laps of the BMW Sauber F1 Team’s new car went off according to plan. The doors of the pit garage opened at 12.00, and seven minutes later Robert Kubica emerged with the BMW Sauber F1.08 for its first installation lap on the Valencia circuit.

BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen was clearly satisfied: “The roll-out of the BMW Sauber F1.08 went-off absolutely hitch-free. All systems were functioning from the word go and Robert has gained a positive first impression of the new car’s handling. It means the most suspenseful moment for the engineers and technicians has resulted in a positive outcome. In the next few days we will be testing the technology in detail before tackling the job of further honing the BMW Sauber F1.08 for performance.”

It was the first time that Kubica had been given the honour of taking a Formula One car out on its maiden drive. The Pole enjoyed the task, commenting: “It was a good start. I’ve only driven a few laps so far, but I have the impression that everything is heading in the right direction. The car feels more stable than its predecessor and it builds up more grip. I’m looking forward to the test days to come.”

His team-mate Nick Heidfeld had already taken the car out on a few demonstration laps at BMW Welt, the company’s futuristic-looking delivery centre in Munich. In Valencia he drove the F1.07 on Tuesday, and Thursday will see him at the wheel of the F1.08. “I really enjoyed driving the old car as well,” said Heidfeld. “During the winter break there were a few weeks when I hadn’t been in the car. The F1.08 is the most beautiful vehicle I have seen in my F1 career. It has a lot of interesting details. I’m really excited about getting inside it on Thursday!”

Technical Director Willy Rampf appeared both satisfied and relieved: “The entire team has been looking forward to this day with feverish excitement,” he explained, “and we are all accordingly delighted to have encountered no problems whatsoever on the first outing with this completely new vehicle. Now all the car’s systems and entire sensor technology will be checked in detail before the start of the further test programme.”

Test in Valencia - Day two
    01-16-2008 Press Release
    15th – 18th January 2008
    Day two – Wednesday

Weather conditions:
    Extremely windy but, apart from some rain at lunch time, dry all day

Temperatures: Air: 15-17??C, Track: 15-20??C

Number of drivers participating: 2 (exclusive BMW Sauber F1 Team test)

Circuit distance: 4.005 km

Robert Kubica
    Chassis / engine: BMW Sauber F1.08-02 / BMW P86/8
    Test kilometres today: 420,525 km (105 laps)

Nick Heidfeld
    Chassis / engine: BMW Sauber F1.07-06 / BMW P86/8
    Test kilometres today: 300,375 km (74 laps)

Programme:
    The first scheduled proper test day with the new F1.08 driven by Robert in Valencia was hampered by adverse weather conditions as there were very strong winds in Valencia. Therefore it was impossible to gain any useful test results today. The BMW Sauber F1 Team concentrated on system checks on long runs with the new car.

Nick was at the wheel of the F1.07 and carried out set-up work with the standard ECU and race start simulation.

What comes next:
    Tomorrow Marko Asmer will be driving the F1.07B. It is the second time the young Estonian (23) will get behind the wheel of the team’s Formula One car. Also tomorrow Nick will have his first drive with the new BMW Sauber F1.08. The team hopes for better weather conditions and productive set-up work with the new car to verify the wind tunnel data.

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Valencia Test - Day three
    01-17-2008 Press Release
    Weather conditions:
    Dry all day, good conditions in the morning, some gusty winds in the afternoon.

Temperatures: Air: 10-18??C, Track: 9-18??C

Number of drivers participating: 2 (exclusively BMW Sauber F1 Team test)

Nick Heidfeld
    Test kilometres today: 467 km (117 laps)

Marko Asmer
    Chassis / engine: BMW Sauber F1.07B-06 / BMW P86/8
    Test kilometres today: 296 km (76 laps as scheduled)

Programme:
    The BMW Sauber F1 Team had a productive days testing in Valencia. Wind wasnt a major issue any more, although in the afternoon some gusty winds came up again. Nick had his first day of testing with the 2008 car. The team is happy with the mileage achieved with the F1.08 today and began testing changes in the mechanical and aero set-up to see and evaluate the reaction of the car, which responded as expected.

Marko enjoyed his second test with the F1.07, already feeling more familiar with the car and more comfortable in his seat after the team had made some adjustments for him beforehand. The team also worked with him on set-up changes in the course of the day to make him feel more confident with the car.

What comes next:
    Tomorrow, Friday, will be the final day of the first test with the F1.08 in Valencia. Nick will continue to drive the new car, Robert Kubica will be taking over the F1.07B.

So you want to drive a f-1 car, you need a deep wallet just for the license.
    blogf1.com
    The Cost Of Racing: Super License Price Hike

This is a support race series for F1 weekends. Looks like a cross between IROC cars and NASCAR. Anyone know more about it?
    pitpass.com
    Speed Car revs up for debut

cheesewhiz
    Speedcar?!?!?!?

Great, just what we need.
    More roaring V8 stock(?)cars.(sarcasm off)

The drivers list is a bit curious though.
    Big names (Alesi etc...)
    Nothing else available?
    Big paycheck?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm..........

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Valencia Test - Day four

01-18-2008 Press Release
    Weather conditions: Sunny and dry

Temperatures: Air: 14-22??C, Track: 14-25??C

Number of drivers participating: 2 (exclusively BMW Sauber F1 Team test)

Nick Heidfeld
    Test kilometres today: 364 km (91 laps)

Robert Kubica
    Test kilometres today: 168 km (42 laps)

Programme:
    In the morning the team lost some time due to a mechanical problem with the power steering on Nicks car. However, later on he continued with set-up work on the F1.08 and was able to cover 91 laps.

Technical Director Willy Rampf summed up his impressions of the first test:
    ǣApart from this morning we had no noteworthy reliability problems during the four days. We were able to complete many laps with the new car and managed to collect a lot of valuable data. We have a base line for determining the programme for next weeks test. We are only just starting out and have a fair amount of work to do to find the ideal settings for the new car.

What comes next:
    The BMW Sauber F1 Team will be testing again in Valencia from Tuesday to Thursday next week.

formula1.com
    New Williams breaks cover in Spain

williamsf1.com
    Williams Toyota FW30 takes to the track

autoweek.com
    New Williams, Renault chassis debut on track

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Valencia Test - Day 1, 01-22-2008

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Valencia Test - Day 1
    01-22-2008 Press Release
    22nd 24th January 2008
    Day one Tuesday

Temperatures: Air: 13-24??C, Track: 9-24??C

Number of drivers participating: 16

Fastest lap overall: Felipe Massa, Scuderia Ferrari, 1:12.182 min

Marko Asmer
    Test kilometres today: 176 km (44 laps)
    Fastest lap: 1:13.669 min

Nick Heidfeld
    Chassis / engine: BMW Sauber F1.08-02/ BMW P86/8
    Test kilometres today: 320 km (80 laps)
    Fastest lap: 1:13.779 min

Programme:
    Nick Heidfeld conducted development work with the BMW Sauber F1.08 going through various aerodynamic comparisons and suspension settings. Although he encountered some minor technical problems, it was a productive day. As opposed to last week, the weather conditions were very good and enabled the engineers to gather a lot of valuable data. Marko Asmer drove the F1.07B. He had a limited programme mainly concentrating on systems checking and development work with the SECU.

What comes next:
    Tomorrow, Robert Kubica will drive the F1.08 while Nick Heidfeld will be at the wheel of the F1.07B.

I can't wait for Melbourne!!!
    Charlie: IBA, AMA, MOA
    2006 BMW R1200RT
    Ride Pictures
    Ride Blog

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Valencia Test - Day 2
    01-23-2008 Press Release
    22nd 24th January 2008
    Day two Wednesday

Temperatures: Air: 10-19??C, Track: 11-22??C

Number of drivers participating: 17

Fastest lap overall: Heikki Kovalainen, McLaren-Mercedes, 1:11.000 min

Nick Heidfeld
    Test kilometres today: 204 km (51 laps)
    Fastest lap: 1:12.976 min

Robert Kubica
    Chassis / engine: BMW Sauber F1.08-02/ BMW P86/8
    Test kilometres today: 485 km (121 laps)
    Fastest lap: 1:13.230 min

Programme:
    Nick Heidfeld drove the F1.07B. He had a limited programme and concentrated on systems settings. He did a lot of valuable work that can be transferred to the new car. Robert Kubica was at the wheel of the F1.08 working on the mechanical and aerodynamic set-up of the car. In addition, he did numerous systems checks and tested different suspension parts. Both cars ran reliably all day.

What comes next:
    Tomorrow, Robert Kubica will continue driving the F1.08 while Nick Heidfeld will again be at the wheel of the F1.07B.

blogf1.co.uk
    The BMW F1-08 got a nose job