• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2008 Formula One Thread

mika

Still Wondering
Today’s unveiling of the BMW Sauber F1 08 car seems to provide a great reason to start a thread for the 2008 Formula 1 season.

243375869-L.jpg

243375783-L.jpg

BMW Sauber F1 08 unveiled in Munich.
01-14-2008 Press Release
Munich, 14th January 2008. The BMW Sauber F1 Team took delivery of the fastest car in the BMW range at BMW Welt in Munich today (Monday). The team was presented with the BMW Sauber F1.08 against the futuristic backdrop of the brand’s new vehicle delivery centre. The presentation, which took place before an audience of several hundred media representatives from around the world, included a spectacular cameo from Nick Heidfeld. As the longest-serving F1 driver in the BMW ranks, the German took the new car for a spin inside the vast building. The serious testing, however, will begin tomorrow (Tuesday) with the roll-out of the car at the Valencia race circuit in Spain. The BMW Sauber F1.08 is eye-catching with its imposing front wing and extremely slim rear, and boasts a wealth of innovative technology.

The BMW Sauber F1 Team has completed its development phase, motivation is strong and its plans are ambitious: in what will be its third season on the Formula One grid the team is aiming to close the gap to the leading teams and has targeted a first race win. “We’re setting our sights high,” admits BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen, “and we’ll have to make further improvements in all areas to achieve what we want to. However, the past two years have instilled confidence within the team. We met our goals in both 2006 and 2007, we are heading in the right direction, and everybody in Munich and Hinwil is focused on the job in hand. If we continue our progress along this path we will also fulfil our aims for 2008.”

The team will take on the challenge with the same race drivers as in 2007 – Germany’s Nick Heidfeld (30) and his Polish team-mate Robert Kubica (23) will be at the wheel of the BMW Sauber F1.08 for the 18 grands prix which make up the 2008 FIA Formula One World Championship. The team will not name a test driver until the end of January.

“It is generally very difficult to define expectations and make prognoses. But I hope that our plan works out and we are able to win our first race in 2008,“ said Heidfeld, who once again accounted for the largest share of the points earned by the team in 2007 and finished on the podium twice. “I expect us to move forward in all areas – particularly as far as reliability is concerned – and to learn from our mistakes. This development process is essential in what we’re trying to achieve.”

And Kubica adds: “I will also be looking to achieve greater consistency in my results during my second full season in Formula One. Retirements and that crash in Canada – which also prevented me from starting in the USA – cost me points in 2007. We all need to take further steps forward in 2008 and make maximum use of every opportunity that presents itself.”

Theissen holds his two drivers in high regard: “In Nick and Robert we have a strong and evenly matched duo. For our young team, which in 2006 and 2007 had to drive forward its development in terms of structure and personnel alongside its World Championship campaign, consistency is also a great asset. We know that these two drivers will get the maximum out of the machinery we give them. The F1.07 was a good car, so on this basis the F1.08 should be even better.”

The new BMW Sauber F1.08.
For Technical Director Willy Rampf the philosophy behind the race car for the 2008 season boils down to what he calls “evolutionary new development”. In other words, last year’s car already provided the engineers with a sound basis for the BMW Sauber F1.08, and they did not have to spend time correcting faults. Instead they were able to use knowledge gained over the course of the 2007 season and channel their energies into the development of innovations which build on this basis.

The engineers’ development work focused on achieving a high level of aerodynamic efficiency coupled with a stable aero balance: the lower the loss of downforce through corners, the faster the car can travel and the greater the confidence it gives the driver. Other development aims included improving mechanical grip in order to make the best possible use of the standard tyres and reducing the weight of various components to allow maximum use of ballast in optimising weight distribution.

A particularly eye-catching feature of the F1.08 is the mighty front wing. Having said that, the car’s nose has actually slimmed down – in equal measure to the rear end. The narrower engine cover has been designed with all-new extra wing elements. Another new and immediately noticeable feature are the hub caps, or “rim shields”.

Two changes to the regulations have had a major effect on the construction of the cars for the 2008 season: the introduction of standardised electronics (SECU) and the new running time stipulation for the gearboxes (developed in Munich), which must now endure over four grands prix. Since the SECU does not allow for traction control, among other functions, mechanical grip and sensitive accelerator control will gain in importance.

“The data which the F1.08 has delivered ahead of its roll-out is extremely promising,” says Rampf. “The development work will continue at full speed up to the start of the new season. Indeed, another aero package will be added to the F1.08 at the forthcoming test, and this will also alter the external appearance of the car once again.”

Development phase reaches its conclusion.

The BMW Sauber F1 Team was consistently the third-strongest team in 2007 and finished the season in second place in the standings following the exclusion of McLaren Mercedes from the Constructors’ World Championship. The team completed its debut season of 2006 in fifth place in the World Championship. Its drivers recorded two podium finishes in each of its first two years – three third places and one second place.

Alongside the unrelenting schedule of the race and testing calendar, the BMW Sauber F1 Team also had to focus on the development of the team in terms of personnel and logistics during its first two years on the grid. Rigorous expansion work has been carried out at its Hinwil base near Zurich since BMW took over the team on 1st January 2006. With its workforce having grown by some 150 people, the team moved into the new extension to the Swiss plant in late 2007. The development and construction of the entire powertrain still takes place in Munich – under the watchful eye of Markus Duesmann – next door to the BMW Research and Innovation Centre (FIZ).

Race calendar

Formula One 2008.

16.03...................Grand Prix of Australia / Melbourne (AUS)

23.03...................Grand Prix of Malaysia / Sepang (MYS)

06.04...................Grand Prix of Bahrain / Sakhir (BHR)

27.04...................Grand Prix of Spain / Barcelona (ESP)

11.05...................Grand Prix of Turkey / Istanbul (TUR)

25.05...................Grand Prix of Monaco / Monte Carlo (MCO)

08.06...................Grand Prix of Canada / Montreal (CAN)

22.06...................Grand Prix of France / Magny-Cours (FRA)

06.07...................Grand Prix of Great Britain / Silverstone (GBR)

20.07...................Grand Prix of Germany / Hockenheim (DEU)

03.08...................Grand Prix of Hungary / Budapest (HUN)

24.08...................Grand Prix of Europe / Valencia (ESP)

07.09...................Grand Prix of Belgium / Spa-Francorchamps (BEL)

14.09...................Grand Prix of Italy / Monza (ITA)

28.09...................Grand Prix of Singapore / Singapur (SGP)

12.10...................Grand Prix of Japan / Fuji Speedway (JPN)

19.10...................Grand Prix of China / Shanghai (CHN)

02.11...................Grand Prix of Brazil / Sao Paulo (BRA)

It's just not the same without Michael. I notice the BMW is photographed at the customer pick-up center. Will they be offering a rental version? :brad

243375980-L.jpg

"Dude, did you crap youself in my car?"

"No, I swear Nick. It was like that when I got in."

Sadly, there's no date on 17/6. Thanks Tony George. Good job.

Last edited:
It's just not the same without Michael. I notice the BMW is photographed at the customer pick-up center. Will they be offering a rental version? :brad

The car will make its track debut tomorrow in Spain.
I miss Jimmy Clark and Schummi
If you have a F-1 license you may be able to have a drive:laugh

Positive start to BMW Sauber F1.08 testing in Valencia.
01-15-2008 Press Release
Valencia (Spain), 15th January 2008. The maiden laps of the BMW Sauber F1 TeamÔÇÖs new car went off according to plan. The doors of the pit garage opened at 12.00, and seven minutes later Robert Kubica emerged with the BMW Sauber F1.08 for its first installation lap on the Valencia circuit.

BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen was clearly satisfied: ÔÇ£The roll-out of the BMW Sauber F1.08 went-off absolutely hitch-free. All systems were functioning from the word go and Robert has gained a positive first impression of the new carÔÇÖs handling. It means the most suspenseful moment for the engineers and technicians has resulted in a positive outcome. In the next few days we will be testing the technology in detail before tackling the job of further honing the BMW Sauber F1.08 for performance.ÔÇØ

It was the first time that Kubica had been given the honour of taking a Formula One car out on its maiden drive. The Pole enjoyed the task, commenting: ÔÇ£It was a good start. IÔÇÖve only driven a few laps so far, but I have the impression that everything is heading in the right direction. The car feels more stable than its predecessor and it builds up more grip. IÔÇÖm looking forward to the test days to come.ÔÇØ

His team-mate Nick Heidfeld had already taken the car out on a few demonstration laps at BMW Welt, the companyÔÇÖs futuristic-looking delivery centre in Munich. In Valencia he drove the F1.07 on Tuesday, and Thursday will see him at the wheel of the F1.08. ÔÇ£I really enjoyed driving the old car as well,ÔÇØ said Heidfeld. ÔÇ£During the winter break there were a few weeks when I hadnÔÇÖt been in the car. The F1.08 is the most beautiful vehicle I have seen in my F1 career. It has a lot of interesting details. IÔÇÖm really excited about getting inside it on Thursday!ÔÇØ

Technical Director Willy Rampf appeared both satisfied and relieved: ÔÇ£The entire team has been looking forward to this day with feverish excitement,ÔÇØ he explained, ÔÇ£and we are all accordingly delighted to have encountered no problems whatsoever on the first outing with this completely new vehicle. Now all the carÔÇÖs systems and entire sensor technology will be checked in detail before the start of the further test programme.ÔÇØ
243758696-L.jpg

243758728-L.jpg

243758767-L.jpg

243758792-L.jpg

243758824-L.jpg

243758861-L.jpg

243758881-L.jpg

243758918-L.jpg

243758962-L.jpg

Last edited:
It may be fast, but DANG it's ugly! :sick

I beg to differ.............

The IRL P.O.S. or the Grand Sham car(?) now THOSE are FUGLY!

Anyway, how could anything with the roundel be ugly, hmmmmmm?
:german

BMW Web-TV Launch Video

<object width="425" height="271"><param name="FlashVars" value="requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/de/stage/playerxml?items[0]=FZWlsyF"/><param name="movie" value="http://www.bmw-web.tv/de/player.swf?requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/de/stage/playerxml?items[0]=FZWlsyF" /><embed src="http://www.bmw-web.tv/de/player.swf?requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/de/stage/playerxml?items[0]=FZWlsyF" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="271" allowfullscreen="true" FlashVars="requestUrl=http://www.bmw-web.tv/de/stage/playerxml?items[0]=FZWlsyF"></embed></object>

my .02

I miss the good old days, now this is a beautiful Formula 1 car!

Attachments

• 1968.bmp.jpg
    1968.bmp.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 475
2008 F-1 Season

Wow, I would like to know what each and every one of the aerodynamic devices on the new BMW F-1 car is supposed to do for the performance of the car. More wings on it than a Foker WW 1 plane.

Wow, I would like to know what each and every one of the aerodynamic devices on the new BMW F-1 car is supposed to do for the performance of the car. More wings on it than a Foker WW 1 plane.

That's part of why I think it's ugly, especially with all those weird multiple wavy bits on the nose. Speaking of noses, the current trend of long high up-pointy F1 noses is probably that part I find ugliest.

But I'm biased. The mid-late 1980s was when I was big into F1.

For the amount of $ they spend developing those cars, I'm sure the investors would rather win the race than win the beauty contest.

Also, unless you've seen them in person it's hard to fathom just how quick these cars are when accellerating, braking, and turning.

My personal fav is the FW14 that Nige drove to the '92 title. :thumb

:lurk

BTW: Thanks for posting those pics! Good stuff.

Also, unless you've seen them in person it's hard to fathom just how quick these cars are when accellerating, braking, and turning.

And there's no comprehending just how incredible those cars sound until you're there in person. TV just doesn't do it justice.

Back