Thread: Patches

On the Road

Patches

I've just received my club patch; I want to attach it to my leather jacket but don't want to ruin the waterproofing.
    I had toyed with the idea of a glue but don't want to lose the patch if/when the glue wears off.
    I can also stitch it on, then, maybe, seal the stitching with a glue.
    Your experience will assist my decision-making.
    What glue?
    Stitching?
    Oh yes, and where? I'd considered the shoulder; is there a club format?
    Have a great day.
    Royal1

Rally Rat

Thumbs up

Check with your local Scuba shop. They have a glue that I have used all the time to secure patches to underwater dry suits (where no stitching is allowed) and they hold up perfectly under significant wear and tear.

I can't remember the last time I had a patch sewed on to one of my jackets. Everything is glued in place, not only on jackets and vests but also fabric satchels, etc.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Greenwald; 01-15-2008 at 01:58 PM.

Rally Rat

Seal??

Try something like "Seam Sealer" or "Aqua Seal" from you local backpacking shop. This is normally used to seal seams (duh) but it also works as a stitch free attachment method. Also might have them at Dicks or Gander Mountain.....

Buy a new Aerostich suit and send them the patch for installation during the manufacturing process!

jason

are patches still cool?
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294

dlearl476
    Quote Originally Posted by gsjay View Post
    Buy a new Aerostich suit and send them the patch for installation during the manufacturing process!

jason

are patches still cool?
    Why ruin a good patch?

On the Road

Patches

Thanks for your input guys.
    I shall try the sealant; consider the location; if all fails maybe make a little flag from it

Quote Originally Posted by royal1 View Post
    Thanks for your input guys.
    I shall try the sealant; consider the location; if all fails maybe make a little flag from it
    There are certain types of hot melt glues available at craft stores that are specifically made for fabric/quilting applications. I've used this stuff for patches with great success.

Unavailable for comment
    Second hot glue or there's another possibility. Sorel boots use bee wax to seal the seams.

535IS
    Quote Originally Posted by apopj View Post
    Try something like "Seam Sealer" or "Aqua Seal" from you local backpacking shop. This is normally used to seal seams (duh) but it also works as a stitch free attachment method. Also might have them at Dicks or Gander Mountain.....
    All that is is very dilute rubber cement. Save yourself the extra cost (and inhalation) of a lotta solvent and use rubber cement out of the jar if you're going that route.

I would probably stitch it on over a silicone RTV (to seal the holes) or use RTV to 'glue' it on (don't know if it will stick to the leather surface, though). One last thought: stitch it on and use the seam sealer for the holes, since it will penetrate well to seal them in that application.