• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Unigo Trailers

Polarpilot

About 10 years a monowheeled bike trailer marketed as a Unigo appeared in North America.

I ran across one last summer but did not get to chat with the rider that was pulling it.

Does anyone here use a Unigo and what are your impressions of it?

Thanks

... just send me a PM unless a 'general discussion' is of interest to anyone else. Currently concerns exist regarding production, availability, quality etc. A wonderful product with some North American growing pains. -Bob

I pull a Unigo with my R1200CLC. I've never pulled another kind of trailer so I can't compare it, but the Unigo pulls very easily and the bike handles almost as if it were not attached to a trailer. They are rather expensive and I doubt I would buy one. Mine came with the bike.

A friend of mine has had one for a few months and LOVES it. He and his wife decided after the West Bend rally (their first moto-trip) that they needed the extra space. He had to get it used and painted to match his bike, but he's been very happy with it and so far hasn't noticed any effect on the bike's performance.

... just send me a PM unless a 'general discussion' is of interest to anyone else. Currently concerns exist regarding production, availability, quality etc. A wonderful product with some North American growing pains. -Bob

It would be of even more interest if it included some pictures and hitch information.:thumb

It would be of even more interest if it included some pictures and hitch information.:thumb

...it can be done if I just sit my sorry ass down long enough to do this. It really is a wonderful concept in both design and practice. If anyone interested in exploring beyond what we have on site (www.tourunigo.com ). Will work on a Photobucket pictoral. In the meantime the site and resident video can be quite informative. (BTW...Polar Pilot. I didn't forget. Back to you soon with production update as I know it.) -Bob

Another one wheel trailer

I pull a one wheel trailer with my Ultra Classic. It is an N-Line made in Des Moines Iowa. It's quite a bit longer but has about twice the cargo space and about the same weight. Here's a picture of my rig. I have pulled both two wheel and one wheel. The weight is much less with the one wheel, but you have to hold it and the bike up. Not a huge deal to me, but you have to be aware of it. The advantage of the one wheel is it leans and turns with you. I have gone through twisties two up and the trailer down to floorboard scraping and the trailer was no problem. It does get pushed more by the wind than a bike alone. I do not load mine to the full load capacity. I stay around 60 lbs. I went heavier but didn't like the feel. Hope this helps.

243586240-L.jpg

Thanks for the link and thanks MLS2GO for the info and picture. I didn't see any pricing on the website. That usually means it is over my budget allotment for motorcycle stuff. Of course I never go over budget on motorcycle stuff.:whistle

Very interesting. It is a long way from Florida to Wyoming. One of those might be just the thing for longer trips. Do the come with extra time off from work, so that you can use them more?:)

... just be aware of how much you intend to carry (do you really need everything?), weight distribution and balance. I find that a trailer tends to compel you to pack just 'one more thing'. Nice thing with Uni-go is the ability to put heaviest items below the bike axle and easily wheel it around (like a wheelbarrow) when not on the bike. Slow riding takes a bit of getting used to and backing can be a bit of a challenge. Strong legs of the appropriate length are an asset. Also, wheels right into motel room or up an elevator. -Bob

Tested the Uni-Go..

Hello prospective Uni-Go'ers.

I have tested the Uni-go for 10,000+ miles two-up last summer touring the US and Canada with my 2006 BMW R1200RT. I must say that the experience was absolutely fantastic. One hardly knows that it is there and my wife occassionally looks behind to make sure it's still there. Transitting sharp curves..it follows precisely in the bikes tracks. Going over rutted paved roads, the suspension does a good job. I loaded the Uni-Go to about 80 pounds.

Now the other side: I ordered the Uni-Go unpainted and finished it myself using aircraft polyurethane paint(mellow yellow) which provided better hardness than enamels against road hazards and found it to be true. The paint is extremely hard but does have some flexibility to prevent cracking. The plastic film shield was not applied as it gets dirty and unsightly. No front bra stone chip was added instead I applied a small area with rubberized automotive spray-on undercoating and appled this product fully under the belly of the Uni-Go body, frame and all up to about 3" from the bottom frame. I have since sold the entire set-up: motorcycle and Uni-Go in hope of getting a F800GS, but as you might have heard they won't be available until September!

I also did a lot of fiberglassing fabrication in regard to the lid which was not in synch. Cut out and refiberglassed the area where the suspension hits the body and made it a bit wider so that the body does not rub against the suspension when loaded. Refiberglassed and modified/reinfroced the stop light housing for better fit.

I must admit the attention to detail is poor; communication with the builder is poor; the rear stop light housing and electronics is of poor low quality design and fragile.

My hitch came from Bushtec which is rugged, innovative and of good quality, however they will not modify to suit your needs. I wanted the flange modified to make the attachment a bit shorter and stronger(to eliminate a bit of a whobble). They only make the hitch for their Bushtec trailers not Uni-Go although they make them for some BMW models. To make it better fit the Uni-Go, you must visit a welder and have him modify to your needs thus burning into a beautiful Bushtec powdercoated creation.

All in all the Uni-Go concept is great, beautiful and adequate set up for two-up. It's safe in high speed cornering, rain, etc. There never was a moment that I felt unsafe with it. Of course backing it takes some planning sometimes depending how you have parked it, but one can simply park the bike and manually position the Uni-Go sideways then re-park.

Will the manufacturer improve its side; contact; quality; dependability; timeliness; support...remains to be seen. I have since sold the R1200RT and the Uni-Go as I am in the market for the new F800GS and to my dismay will not be sold until this September.

Motorradfahrer wrote: "I also did a lot of fiberglassing fabrication in regard to the lid which was not in synch. Cut out and refiberglassed the area where the suspension hits the body and made it a bit wider so that the body does not rub against the suspension when loaded. Refiberglassed and modified/reinfroced the stop light housing for better fit."

"Will the manufacturer improve its side; contact; quality; dependability; timeliness; support...remains to be seen. I have since sold the R1200RT and the Uni-Go as I am in the market for the new F800GS and to my dismay will not be sold until this September."

Well said. Therein lies the real problem.

I have thought that forming a used Uni-go (NZ edition) network might be useful. We have over 20,000 trouble free miles on our trailer (NZ) and, personally, we think that this is a terrific product with great potential.

This year will determine its survival. -Bob

Last edited:
Take Over...???

Hmmnn...TOURUNIGO....you seem to really understand the situation. This is a good product why not buy them out and establish it where you are?? I had raves of appalause from passer-bys. Even the Harley people wanted one. Got a lot of attention at the BMW WestBend rally. Even people with cars(Smart; Hybrids, etc wanted one...but were telling me horror stories about the manufacturer and simply quit. I really think this is a good product and am afraid it's being killed by apathy.
Anyway, we are contemplating doing the Canadian Maritimes including the trans-Labrador highway this summer and hope to run into you. I might get a 1200GS in the meantime as there'll be no F800GS for a while.....

Hmmnn...TOURUNIGO....you seem to really understand the situation. This is a good product why not buy them out and establish it where you are?? I had raves of appalause from passer-bys. Even the Harley people wanted one. Got a lot of attention at the BMW WestBend rally. Even people with cars(Smart; Hybrids, etc wanted one...but were telling me horror stories about the manufacturer and simply quit. I really think this is a good product and am afraid it's being killed by apathy.
Anyway, we are contemplating doing the Canadian Maritimes including the trans-Labrador highway this summer and hope to run into you. I might get a 1200GS in the meantime as there'll be no F800GS for a while.....

Briefly we entertained that sort of idea but knew that such an undertaking required an excellent supplier base for fabrication. We really do not have that base in any reliable way. For the first few years we enthusiastically endorsed this product and marketed as creatively as we could. Recently we have faultered on our marketing and have referred folks to the manufacturer directly. We remain receptive to technical and performance inquiries. No money in that but I am always enthusiastic to talk about the product concept, design and performance. A manufacturing question is always forwarded to the manufacturer. We no longer want to take responsibility for what the consumer receives. Too bad because our personal experience with the trailer is excellent and the interest, as you mention, is extraordinary from all riders. The Un-Trailer :thumb I don't think apathy is the root but, rather, a patchwork of misfortune and challenges which were nearly impossible to rise above for the manufacturer. They are very good and talented folks who also believe in the product. Unfortunate really but, ya never know, things could change.

If you are up this way please do stop by (we are in Halifax and Larry's River). We are looking forward to heading down past your way as well as we embark on a little 11,000 mile run around the U.S. starting June 1st. We'll be making time to get to New Orleans for a couple of days first. -Bob

Unigo trailer question

I pull a Unigo with my R1200CLC. I've never pulled another kind of trailer so I can't compare it, but the Unigo pulls very easily and the bike handles almost as if it were not attached to a trailer. They are rather expensive and I doubt I would buy one. Mine came with the bike.

I have an 04 r1200CLC and am considering a Unigo trailer to expand luggage capabilities...My question is in regards to the tariler hitch and wiring arrangement...Do you use the Unigo hitch and wiring and have you had any issues regarding quality of product with either the hitch ar trailer. Thanks

I have an 04 r1200CLC and am considering a Unigo trailer to expand luggage capabilities...My question is in regards to the tariler hitch and wiring arrangement...Do you use the Unigo hitch and wiring and have you had any issues regarding quality of product with either the hitch ar trailer. Thanks
The first photo is the frame from my Unigo. I pulled the body to repair the point where the tow bar connects. While on a trip to the latest Chicken Rally in Alabama, the welds broke causing the trailer to drag over bumpy ground. Fortunately I was able to get it temporarily fixed. See second photo of temporary welds. I plan to replace the plate welded to the frame.
I don't pull the trailer very often and have never overloaded it. I don't think I have. I'm not sure how it was used before I got it.

briYEZexS_rYVmWnq84wv3JUVTRxJIUNJiAHQy1ty-w

FhcYehSYYnhSVCEkxDzqGXJUVTRxJIUNJiAHQy1ty-w

The first photo is the frame from my Unigo. I pulled the body to repair the point where the tow bar connects. While on a trip to the latest Chicken Rally in Alabama, the welds broke causing the trailer to drag over bumpy ground. Fortunately I was able to get it temporarily fixed. See second photo of temporary welds. I plan to replace the plate welded to the frame.
I don't pull the trailer very often and have never overloaded it. I don't think I have. I'm not sure how it was used before I got it.

briYEZexS_rYVmWnq84wv3JUVTRxJIUNJiAHQy1ty-w

FhcYehSYYnhSVCEkxDzqGXJUVTRxJIUNJiAHQy1ty-w

does the plate say NZ? Or is it U.S ie School house MC Acc.? I take ours apart yearly to inspect and generally clean/repaint. Now has about 40,000 miles on it. - Bob

The original owner told me this one was one of the first to be imported from New Zealand. He bought it in 2003. I haven't kept track of the mileage and I don't know how many he put on it. You would have to pull the body to inspect these welds as they are covered during normal operation. I never gave it much thought until it failed. I'm going to put a heavier plate with better welds to hold it. The original welds are not very substantial.

I looked at several Uni-Go trailers at the National Rally in TN. The trailer that really caught my attention was made by Bushtec. I found a used Bushtec in OR and rode out on my CLC to purchase it. The only problem is getting a wiring harness that couples the trailer to a BMW. I mounted a rotating/flashing dome light on the trailer and rode back to FL with nary a glance from the law. The trailer tows so well you check often to make sure its still attached. The air suspension eliminates bounce. There is so much more room for gear that I'm thinking of removing my top bag. Ride Safe :usa :usa

I looked at several Uni-Go trailers at the National Rally in TN. The trailer that really caught my attention was made by Bushtec. I found a used Bushtec in OR and rode out on my CLC to purchase it. The only problem is getting a wiring harness that couples the trailer to a BMW. I mounted a rotating/flashing dome light on the trailer and rode back to FL with nary a glance from the law. The trailer tows so well you check often to make sure its still attached. The air suspension eliminates bounce. There is so much more room for gear that I'm thinking of removing my top bag. Ride Safe :usa :usa

I've never pulled a two wheel but always thought that a Bushtec would be my choice. However, we've navigated a few twists and such with the Uni-Go that I suspect a two wheel rig would find somewhat challenging if at all possible. We've had people come up and remark that they've never seen a hinged motorcycle before. When we marketed them we called it the "Untrailer" (I know, theft from those soft drink folks). Great little trailer.... concept and performance wise but it seems to be a bit difficult to produce with the quality expected for the price. Wish that it had that air suspension though. Daunless Motors was working on that very thing with the Uni-trak for GS market. - Bob

Back