Thread: RT highway pegs

Loading the Bike

RT highway pegs

I am the proud new owner of a 2005 1200rt. I am looking at the 2 options that I have found: CVM Sahara's that mount in the spark plug covers and RCU Highway peg kit which mounts over the entire head.

I have been favoring the looks of the Sahara's but am concerned with longterm stability. The RCU system seems to be a much heavier setup but also requires removal to change plugs and too much torquing of head bolts longterm. Any advice is appreciated.

Also looking at a Cee Bailey tall shield for it as I am 6'2" so size recommendations would help with that. I have a standard heated seat.

Thanks, Brian

I have the Sahara's on mine and like them a lot.
    Don't know about long term stability as have only had them for 5k but they are built well. ( I doubt they would survive a tip over if they are extended and would probably destroy the valve cover)

You might want to look into California Scientific for a windscreen as another option.

Bill

I have the Sahara pegs on my '06 RT. 30K trouble free miles ... I added the pegs just after bringing the bike home for the first time.
    Charlie: IBA, AMA, MOA
    2006 BMW R1200RT
    Ride Pictures
    Ride Blog

lawman101
    I had the Sahara Pegs and although I liked them a lot I found them to be too light..The mounts and threads are very lightweight and will not hold up to even moderate use..I could not keep them tight because they would strip out before getting tight enough..I replaced them with these mounted to my Wunderliche crash bars and I like them a lot..
    http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/2699/506/

Quote Originally Posted by brian9682 View Post
    I am the proud new owner of a 2005 1200rt. I am looking at the 2 options that I have found: CVM Sahara's that mount in the spark plug covers and RCU Highway peg kit which mounts over the entire head.

I have been favoring the looks of the Sahara's but am concerned with longterm stability. The RCU system seems to be a much heavier setup but also requires removal to change plugs and too much torquing of head bolts longterm. Any advice is appreciated.

Also looking at a Cee Bailey tall shield for it as I am 6'2" so size recommendations would help with that. I have a standard heated seat.

Thanks, Brian
    I use the HawksProducts Brackets and pegs. I believe they make them for Hex Heads also. The feature I like about them is he takes into account the offset of the cylinder heads and you can use BMW pegs with them. They also come in different configs for different rider hights. www.hawksproducts.com or see add in latest BMWON.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

bpdougd

Avoid the RCU....

I bought the RCU kit for my '07 R1200RT. The standoffs for mounting the plate on to the head are crap. Two of them cracked under minimal torque. I tried getting them replaced and found RCU to be hugely unresponsive. I tried to return the whole kit but was told I was out of luck.

gened12

ELF pegs

I have ELF pegs and they work great. Service is impeccable (had an issue with one of them and they replace them ASAP)

Foot Pegs

I avoid the kind of foot pegs that mount in placed of the plug wire cover. They are delicate.

I choose the bracket that attaches to the top of the valve cover bolts.

BUT.....

I rotated it to the bottom of the valve cover, welded a strap that is bolted to the block and added a support for a fog/running light. I also chose an all rubber foot peg that is close to the design of the BMW foot pegs.

The result is a lower highway peg, a backet that will not bend nor damage the valve cover bolts and adds a fog or running light bracket. The rubber foot peg also provide some valve cover protection in case of a spill. I will submit a picture when I get the R1100RT back together. We are currently chroming the valve covers.