• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The refueling dance and a Marsee tankbag. ugh.

lewlei said:
Interesting - - I've never had a tank bag but am shopping for one for the new GS. I think it was Sargentcycle.com that had this modular model.
I bought one of those several years ago. I loved the idea, but hated the execution.

All those snaps they use are a pain to put together. You have to be able to get a finger behind them to get enough pressure to make them snap.

On my RS, I could never make the tank panel stay on tightly enough so that the bag didn't flop over to one side. It's narrow and only braced at each end, and when it warms up a bit it has a fair amount of give.

The map pouch can only be flipped left to right, not top to bottom. Ok if you only ever go east/west. The bottom part of the pouch is stitched through the vinyl; this makes a great tear off for the mounting points.

If you've never had a tankbag and aren't sure what you want, you might be happier buying a used, basic one to try out and find whether you like it and what features you really need.

I love tankbags personally. I like having a big map pouch for travelling. I like to carry a lot of conveniences up there like my camera, visor cleaning stuff, water, and more. Also, I have several travelling bikes, so I like to have one tankbag I can move easily between them.

For these reasons and more, I'm really sold on the Bagster tankbag/tankbra system. Very secure mounting, very good looking, very easy to refuel, no magnets to catch some dirt and put a scratch in the paint or ruin your credit card mag stripes. Built in clear rain cover so you can still see the map in the pouch.

Some good points, Daryl. I did a quick check of the Bagster site, but it's hard to tell from the photos. I'll look closer at some bags that the dealers have and see what ideas I come up with.

I'll admit that the Super Bag got me for its gadget value. But, I'm looking for just what you said - - handy and convenient carrier for camera, water/snack, phone etc.

Thanks, I think you set me on the right track.

Lew

My only reservation when I saw Bagsters the first time was the buckles they used. A friend of mine modified his, removing the Bagster buckles and replacing them with Fastex clips. Worked like a charm.

Life in Hell

knary said:
The fueling dance: Unclip one of the front straps, flop bag over to the right. Fill up. Flop bag upright. Dig out fallen strap from the dark awkward space around steering stem. Fiddle forever with stupid clip trying to get the bag secured. Ride away and realize that the tail of one of the straps is no longer tucked away and is flapping madly in the breeze. Try to tuck it back in while moving. Be annoyed.

Try this...

Pull bike up to gas pump. Note: pull to right of gas pump such that bike leans toward pump...

Step off bike.

Remove key from ignition. Rest key on seat.

Pull wallet out of tank bag, slide gas card into gas pump device. Replace card in wallet.

Put wallet back in tank bag and close tank bag.

Unclip rear two (or one) clip(s) of tank bag and flip tank bag forward...Repeat...Flip tank bag forward.

Unlock fuel tank and insert fuel nozzle into fuel tank...begin refueling...

When tank is full, stop refueling...

Replace fuel nozzle into gas pump device.

Close fuel tank cover...Remember...Listen for "click"...This will tell you that fuel tank is properly closed...

Roll tank bag back to proper position and reclip those pesky clasps.

Insert key back into ignition...

Get back on bike...

Start bike...

Ride away and be happy that life is so simple and care free...

Re: Life in Hell

crvalley said:
Try this...

Pull bike up to gas pump. Note: pull to right of gas pump such that bike leans toward pump...

Step off bike.

Sorry, you lost me right there.
Getting off bike is a no go. I only get off when i want to stretch or eat. I got places to GO. Besides, around here, there's an attendant to deal with at the pump. Two people in that space is annoying and makes staying on the bike that much nicer.

Gotta love how such a trite thread has lived on! ;)

Re: Re: Life in Hell

knary said:
Besides, around here, there's an attendant to deal with at the pump. Two people in that space is annoying and makes staying on the bike that much nicer.
I thought they stopped doing that for bikes. That was the news at the Redmond rally a couple years ago...

Re: Re: Re: Life in Hell

DarrylRi said:
I thought they stopped doing that for bikes. That was the news at the Redmond rally a couple years ago...

Sorta. The attendants still push the buttons, swipe the cards, and hand out the nozzles.

Here's Rubber Cow doing the hand off a few weeks ago...
IMG_3669.jpg

What a PITA. If you wait for an attendant here, you had better have some food and water. I don't mind stepping off the bike, and I use the centerstand. Makes for consistant filling, and I wouldn't want to be on the bike if something happened to the pump mechanism.

lorazepam said:
What a PITA. If you wait for an attendant here, you had better have some food and water. I don't mind stepping off the bike, and I use the centerstand. Makes for consistant filling, and I wouldn't want to be on the bike if something happened to the pump mechanism.

It is a pain, though most attendants are Very prompt and don't keep you waiting. Unlike full service in other states, it's their primary job here. When I'm driving, I like it. When I'm riding, it's annoying.

Back