• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lower an R1200GS two inches?

cjack

K Bikes Complex by Choice
We need to lower a new R12GS I think at least two inches. Some have done it with Wilbers shocks and that seems to work well. Have any here done this and used Wilbers or other shock companies? Does Ohlins make lower shocks? Any feedback of shortcomings on doing this?
Thanks.

We need to lower a new R12GS I think at least two inches. Some have done it with Wilbers shocks and that seems to work well. Have any here done this and used Wilbers or other shock companies? Does Ohlins make lower shocks? Any feedback of shortcomings on doing this?
Thanks.

Jack,

I am not sure about the 1200s, but Jim Shaw lowered his R1150GS by installing R1150RT shocks. It was done at Mathias BMW in Ohio. You might check to see if the shock off an R1200R might not fit right on the GS.

Or buy Vicki some taller boots :) :)

Jack,

I am not sure about the 1200s, but Jim Shaw lowered his R1150GS by installing R1150RT shocks. It was done at Mathias BMW in Ohio. You might check to see if the shock off an R1200R might not fit right on the GS.

Or buy Vicki some taller boots :) :)

I heard about the RT to GS swap for the 1150GS. It seems to be about 2 inches lower or so.
The R12R has a 31.5 seat height and the R12GS has a 33.5 seat height and Viki says that the R12R is still a bit tall for her liking...not as comfy as the LOW 650GS.
She is really in love with her LOW 650GS seat height since she can get her feet about flat on the ground and it's seat height is I think 29.2 inches.
Of course all this is also subjective as I know folks who are 5' 5" and ride stock Adventurers. But anyway we are on a quest for lowering a 12GS to see what we can achieve.

Hi Jack:

We lowered our 1200 GS last summer. Looked at other models and other brands but wanted to stay with a BMW. Nothing in the BMW line up seemed to fit. Ordered shocks from Works (liked the color). They were very helpful. Actually had a Honda dealer in town install the shocks and they also shortened the side stand for us. Kathy loves the bike and like you folks had been riding a low 650 GS. We found boots with a thicker sole which have also helped with the transition to the 1200. After the conversion we took a little spin from Ohio up through the UP and then over to SD to see our son attending college. Had a great time, no issues with the bike. Kathy enjoyed the extra cc's and the increased comfort of the 1200. Looking back we had a number of concerns but really very straight forward and should have done it sooner. Several advised us not to lower the bike more than 2 inches. We are currently in NC, if you are in the area and want to ride a lowered 1200 let us know and would be happy to get together. The other down side is I was forced to buy an 07 RT.

Ross and Kathy

Lowered GS

I lowered my '06 r1200gs one inch with Wilbers shocks. I also use the bmw low seat. I'm 5'9" with a 28" inseam. No problems. The shock install was about a half day for me. I would have been shorter if I had read some posts before starting. Mainly two things. The lower front shock mount has some thread locker on it from the factory that makes it hard to get the bolt out without heating the mounting bracket. The other is that it is relatively easy to unbolt the tank to move it back enough to get at the upper front mount. I took off the plastic tank cover. For me it was a major hassle getting the tank, plastic cover and filler ring to line up to reattach the filler ring after installing the shock. With the one inch lower shock I have not had to shorten the side stand, but I do have to be careful not to park the bike with the sidestand on a high spot. Any more and it would be necessary.

Hi,

Good info, thanks for the reply and thanks for the offer Ross. I was wondering about the amount to lower the bike. 2 inches seems to be recommended. One shock maker, Hyperpro, has shocks as much as 3 inches lower. I was wondering if there would be a downside with that. We ordered the GS with the lower seat, but looking at the spec sheet, I think that is still 33.5 if the sheet is correct. The R12R spec sheet says 31.5 and that was still a bit tall although I think the seat was wider and that makes it harder to get the feet down.
Viki's other bike is a K1200S, so she can ride a 2 inch lowered GS for sure, but we were trying to see if she could get her feet down more to be able to back it up, etc. more easily, when she is off by herself. I think we will go with the 2 inch Wilbers if I don't learn somehow that the 3 inch Hyperpro is ok.

I took off the plastic tank cover. For me it was a major hassle getting the tank, plastic cover and filler ring to line up to reattach the filler ring after installing the shock.

For future reference, you can leave the plastic and filler attached to the tank, even when completely removing the tank.

I have gotten responses from Wilbers and Hyperpro. The Hyperpro is interesting in that you can keep your original BMW preload adjuster and splash guard for an additional $30, instead of buying the remote hydraulic preload adjuster for $259.
Both recommend a max of 2 inches. Even though I don't have any customer feedback on the Hyperpro shocks, I am leaning toward them.

http://www.wilbersusa.com/hyperpro-motorcycle-shocks.htm

lowered K75RT

We've been thinking about lowering a 12GS for my wife.

She now rides a (2) K75 and a 650GS. We did links on the GS, but on the K75, we went with a 2" lower, Works, shock, low seat, low profile Avon tyres (!) and she got boots with super thick soles (link below).

The frame on the K75 forces your legs wider and if you have a short inseam you need to have an even shorter seat height than some other bikes.

Over all we lowered the bike almost 3" and raised her inseam almost an inch.

It's very comfortable for her and somehow, doing all that didn't affect the handling, however we're not very aggressive riders, so we don't push the limits.

My best friend is some sort of a tire genius and he found just the right tire for us.

She loves these boots:

http://www.helimot.com/shopexd.asp?id=73

Sometimes that link doesn't work. If it doesn't, follow this link:

http://www.helimot.com/default.asp

Go to boots and then look for the Daytona Lady Star GTX.

BTW, the reason that my wife has three bikes is because she hasn't bought a fouth...yet!

Downhill Hunter

If only I knew then what I know now.

For future reference, you can leave the plastic and filler attached to the tank, even when completely removing the tank.

I foolishly assumed that removing the plastic would make things simpler. The tank is alot easier than the plastic, in my experience. I've taken the tank off to install the accessory plug on the beak and replace the air filter. Hindsight is 20/20.:violin

Jack,

Karol Patzer had RT shocks put on her GS to lower it. You might want to check with her to see how much that effected her.

I've personally had both the BMW low seat and a Sargent low seat. The BMW seat was ummm a PITA which is why I went with Sargent.

My low seat is sitting on a shelf and I could get it to you at New Glarus and let you use it for a while rather than have you buy a BMW seat and find out she doesn't like it.

Thanks.

Local club member Nancy lowered her 12GS 2" with Wilburs. I have ridden it, and found it handled great, even with my fat butt on it. She has 40K miles on it, no issues. Ground clearance isn't an issue with her as she is light, and doesn't go off road.

Kity-Tankless.jpg

from my video.

I just installed a set of 2" lowered shocks on a friend's R1150GS and his woked out fine as well. He used Works Performance shocks on his. ($700 for both)

Moses-shocks-5.jpg

Ohlins will also custom size shocks for you.

I wouldn't hesitate to lower the bike if it makes her ride it with more confidence.

Jim :brow

Jim, next time your're in orlando (and everyone is sooner or later) will you have a tech sesion at my house? you can use my bike.:thumb

Jack,

Karol Patzer had RT shocks put on her GS to lower it. You might want to check with her to see how much that effected her.

I've personally had both the BMW low seat and a Sargent low seat. The BMW seat was ummm a PITA which is why I went with Sargent.

My low seat is sitting on a shelf and I could get it to you at New Glarus and let you use it for a while rather than have you buy a BMW seat and find out she doesn't like it.

Thanks, but we already ordered it with a low seat, no extra charge. We'll see how it goes.
I have heard about using the RT shocks on a GS. Might be an option. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Jim, next time your're in orlando (and everyone is sooner or later) will you have a tech sesion at my house? you can use my bike.:thumb

I'm in, though doubtful with the bike. When I go to Orlando it is usually for work. I'll bring the tools, and an adult beverage of your choice!:thumb

Jim :brow

JimVonBaden1 did an excellent job on installing the shortened Works Performance shocks on my R1150GS (go back a few posts). Works Performance shortened the rear shock 2 inches and the front shock 1 3/4", gathered some data on my weight plus any passenger/cargo weight, and ordered a shorter spring to match the stock schocks' performance. I believe they got their start in racing and moved to street type shocks. I also got a used lower seat. I would estimate the seat height to be ~29.5 inches.

I am 5'7" with a 28 inch inseam and chubby legs :eat. I can get the balls of my feet on the ground. The bike performs very well thanks to how the shocks has been "re-computed" for the rider and bike. I ride using mostly "body English" to use a local instructor's reference to body movement and light steering. We did not have to shorten the stock side-stand for the bike to park stably. I do not use the center stand. Since I have a relatively long torso, I may eventually get some bar risers.

Overall I am very satisfied :twirl

2003BMWR1150GS-3.jpg

Last edited:
One tiny comment..

When lowering the bike - the shock is only shortened a fraction of the amount you expect to lower the bike.

The measured and calculated (by me) ratio for the rear is 1:3 - if you shorten the shock 10mm - the suspension height is 30mm lower. The front is less (1:1.7 comes to mind.. 10mm shorter shock = 17mm lower suspension.)

Hopefully the shock suppliers understand what you're asking for when ordering. If not - asking for a 2" shorter shock in the rear would reduce your suspension height by 6".. which I'm sure isn't what happened..

:thumb

Back