• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dump the tank bag on the floor!

PAULBACH

tankbag.jpg

In April I will be submitting an article for April titled, "What's In Your Tank Bag?" Someplace on the Forum a thread addressing this does exist. But want to freshen up this concept give everyone a chance to submit their inspired contents and to clean out the cookie crumbs, torx fittings and misc other contents.

The regular column with the submitted Touring Tips will be separate.

Please PM me with your contents or send an email. Be sure to include your town, state and membership number.

Remember that most of our members do not visit the forum - a puzzling statistic. Have to remember the regular readers of ON.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Last edited:
Here's my list again

Digi tire gauge
gum
sun tan lotion (SPF 30)
Purell
Side stand plate
rag for inevitable gas spill
Ipod
Ezpass
heated vest controller

I like tankbags!

I hope a pm is what you're looking for. here it is anyway.

In addition to the "usuals" ,i.e. the BMWMOA 'Anonymous Book', a water bottle, cords for my electrics, and extra gloves, my daily "odd" odds and ends are: amber tint glasses, silk glove liners and a silk balaclava, a 90 degree adapter for my hard-to-reach snowflake valve stems, a tire gauge, extra earplugs, two shortened spokes and two small screwdrivers for a quick carb synch, and a small package of lanolin wipes. On a longer trip I add half a roll of TP, a Camelback, my dad's Phillips and flat screwdriver and a pair of needlenose. Then I stuff whatever else fits and might be useful, like my electric jacket, just to make it taller so I have a good platform to lean on as the miles go by. That also puts my map case up where I have a chance of actually reading it w/o my glasses.

I forgot to mention my handy wind-up flashlight! So I posted here as well.

Usually I don't go out with my tank bag unless I'm traveling somewhere. Daily commutes I keep it all in the side case. When I am heading out somewhere for a few days I will slap the old tank bag on the bike. Here's what normally goes in there, usually in zip-lock baggies;

- PASSPORT - generally we're crossing the border or MIGHT be crossing the border so why not have it just in case
- Hotel/Motel/Accommodation information, telephone numbers etc.
- Mobile phone
- Bottled water
- Snacks / lunch
- If the weather is cold or can be cold, a change of gloves and glove liners
- Spare zip-lock bags to keep wet stuph away from dry stuph.

The other stuph that you normally would carry, oil, tire gauge, air pump, tools, Anonymous Book, rain wear, jacket liners, high-visibility vest, etc., are always in my side case. As a side note, I keep the oil in a 700ml (24oz) water bottle. I find the pop-top on the water bottle makes it MUCH easier to top up the oil on the RT if needed - saves carrying a funnel.

Cheers!

PM Sent!

Oh I forgot the tire pressure thingie..

Last edited:
viking.jpg

What's in your tank bag?

Thank you!

Keep those responses coming folks. Thank you all!

Last edited:
Just sent a PM with a list of 50 items that I dumped out on the couch.. Now I know where my glove liners are! I have a Wolfman Explorer Tank Bag and it can hold the kitchen sink and the contents all the drawers surrounding it. Everything in the bag is necessary and I can't live without them

Last edited:
tank bag crap

I've got a smallish bag on my GT, so not a lot butt here goes;

Didgie camera, air gage, side stand plate, altoids, asprin, condoms, Wee Willie shield cleaner, rag, gum, power bar, ear plugs, more ear plugs, a multi tool, a couple of carabiners (sp?), mag light, lighter.

I'll throw my cell in there also.

HTH,

I warned Voni not to dump her tank bag until I have a chance to get Hazmat here first.

Hoffa.jpg

Hey now, if all the guys empty their tank bags we may yet find Jimmy Hoffa!

Please have submitted so much good material that my expectations have been surpassed and we have a lot of time to go. Actually have to the first of February. This could develop into a great tear out sheet - just what you need for your tankbag.

:laugh

I don't have a tank bag but may need a forklift to get that top case emptied. The last time I completely emptied out side cases before I sold a bike I found a missing camera.

But it's a good way to start the riding season and a good edition to the April for most of the MOA members who never visit the forum.

Please don't forget your MOA number with submissions.

I'm a new convert to tank bags. I even though I don't have much in it yet, I'm working on filling it up. I call it my man purse! So far I have my J&M Intergrater in there along with winter gloves, summer gloves, glove liners (anyone seeing a pattern here?), sunglasses, and a rain shield for the whole thing. Now, in the little glove box on my RT I lock up the registration, tire gauge, multi-tool, and spare earbuds. The one thing I need to add, and I've emailed at least twice requesting this oh so needed item, is the anonymous book. I've been a member over six months and have not received the book yet!!!!!
Jay

Ipod
Alnico 2 @mtr
mini tv
A/C power inverter
Insulin and needles
Canadian Passport
headband headlight
spare plugs
health products
meds
Canon camera
dvd canon camera
camera download cable
secret money pouch
and lot of other stuff:german

Michael Richard
VE3ceh
Loonie-Tic
Come to the Return to Trenton in August

Ipod
Alnico 2 @mtr
mini tv
A/C power inverter
Insulin and needles
Canadian Passport
headband headlight
spare plugs
health products
meds
Canon camera
dvd canon camera
camera download cable
secret money pouch
and lot of other stuff:german

Michael Richard
VE3ceh
Loonie-Tic
Come to the Return to Trenton in August

Good Morning Mr. Rich

Please tell me more about this power inverter:

• How big is it?
  • How much current does it draw?
  • Where do you plug or wire it in?
  • What do you see as its chief advantage?

I ask because this is the second tank bag that has one and I sense
it may be very useful. Have a digital picture?

Usually I don't go out with my tank bag ... As a side note, I keep the oil in a 700ml (24oz) water bottle. I find the pop-top on the water bottle makes it MUCH easier to top up the oil on the RT if needed - saves carrying a funnel.

Cheers!

Would there be any advantage to swapping just the bottle cap from the water bottle to the oil? This is assuming the threads are the same. Maybe it is just a matter of seeing how much oil is available in the water bottle? :type

These items vary with where I am going, but this is some of the basic stuff.
If I park in a mall or where I can't see the bike, I take this bag with me.
extra gloves
high power reading glasses
very light cable lock and small combo lock
small tire pump
tire gauge
tire repair kit
spare tail bulb
spare hd lite bulb
starter relay (only relay on the bike has been known to stick)
EWS ring
small allen wrench combo tool
small torx wrench combo tool
4x5 inch atlas of the US and Canada
Very compact 100W inverter...draws 8 amps if needed
Interphone spare unit and charger
tank bag cover
GS suppl tool kit
small plexis spray can
polishing cloth
owners manual
insurance card and registration
Passport
IPass transponder
cell phone charger
cell phone
BMW plug to cigar lighter adapter
Gerbing coax to BMW socket adapter
maybe some meds
flash light
small multimeter
HP 32s calculator
Bungee cord
I forgot...
Gerbing dual controller clipped to the side of the bag when it's cold...

Last edited:
Good Morning Mr. Rich

• How big is it?

Although I don't keep it in my tankbag, I have this:

Kensington Wall/Auto/Air Ultra Portable Notebook Power Adapter

I use it to power my laptop and also to charge my phone. I have created a plug adaptor for it so I can plug it into my 12V bikes as well as a car or 110/220V 60/50Hz AC. Alas, I've never seen a power plug on an airplane in the cattle class that I fly...

The convenience is that it works everywhere. It has a selection of plug tips that control the voltage supplied to the mobile device. It comes with a bunch of tips, and they cover most notebooks and cell phones.

Would there be any advantage to swapping just the bottle cap from the water bottle to the oil? This is assuming the threads are the same. Maybe it is just a matter of seeing how much oil is available in the water bottle? :type

Paul,

That was my original plan, however after several different bottles of water were tried, I could not find a top that would fit the oil that I use. As you point out, it is MUCH easier to see how much oil is left in the bottle of water over the oil bottles especially without having to dig out the glasses.

Cheers!

Progress Report!

Up to 1339 words in submissions so far. The average Touring Tips article is 750 words - more or less.

Lots of good contributions have been made and lots of unique ideas that will benefit all of us during the next riding season.

Just about 90 days to go until mileage starts getting recorded.

Thanks All!

Paul

A Special note from The RCMP

Good Morning Mr. Rich

• How big is it?

Good morning Mr. Phelps.(Chief)

It is a 75 watt cigarette lighter unit,and it is small goes under my left k75 battery cover hooked into a power port plug I installed ; it will power my tv,Canon chargers,laptop,ipod charger . I purchased it fromCanadian Tire and if you goto their website(google it ) it is there in the power products,there you will find a pletera of POWER and lots of other stuff, hope that helped Chief, Oh Mr.Phelps.
As you know the Canadian goverment will disalowe all of us.

THIS THREAD AND MOST OF MY WORK WILL DISAPEAR IN 3 DAYS(LOL)

Hope to see ya this year still have that 25 year old Wisers to give ya.Michael R.:lurk

Michael Richard
Ve3ceh
LoonieTics Home of the Kiltmister.:german
Return To Trenton August (Oh the mouthwatering steaks)

As an anal retentive young Boy ScoutI always packed way more than I should have and struggled with my packas a soldier, I never had a problem meeting the 40lb minimum for a road marchIm not much better these days. Heres a list of tank bag items that accompany me on whichever bike I ride. The panniers or saddle bags are another story all together.

Leatherman Tool101 uses and I havent been able to wear one out in the past 15 years
Annonymous BookI bring this even when traveling on my HarleyI figure BMW guys are good enough people that they might help even a stranded HD rider
I-Podsometimes I need to drown out the voices in my head
BlackBerrythis thing is amazingcell phone, address book, email, and GPS rolled into one. It has an entire road atlas built into itassuming that you can get a signal
MapsI dont fully trust technologysometimes old school is still bestand you can use them to start a fire in a pinch.
Zip Tiesmany lengthsI swear that you could build an entire civilization out of these things
Bungee CordsI might find a new sofa or Adirondack chair that I want to drag home
LED Mag Lightnothing worse than trying to troubleshoot an electrical issue on the side of the road at night with only your sense of touch
Surgical Glovessee the anal retentive note above
MatchesI used to carry my faithful Zippo but it made everything stink
Pencil and Paperin case I need to write my last Will and Testament or a letter to my family in a roadside ditch as I bleed outor the phone number off a For Sale sign for some cool old bike
Credit Card/Cashjust in case my wallet gets lost or lifted
Duct Tapeits like an entire First Aid kit on a roll
Army Issue Scarfgood for sub zero temps, sandstorms, and a tourniquet in a pinch
Boy Scout Compassold habits die hard
Clean, White Cotton Ragsgood for so many things
J.B.Weld2 part epoxy for metal repairyou can patch a hole in your crankcase with this stuff
Ear Plugssometimes the wind noise is just too much
Drugsa colorful mix of Excedrin Migraine, Benadryl, and Ibuprofen
Tire Gaugeapparently, these things need air
Hose Clampsjust a couple for good measure
Wireabout 8 of 20AWG insulated, stranded copperfor creative roadside electrical upgrades
Crimp Connectorsa mixed bag of sizes and terminationsthey go well with the aforementioned wire
Spare Keysjust dont leave your tankbag on the bike unattended
Digital Camerajust in case I see Bigfoot or George Clooney
Bottle of Mountain DewI have an addiction

and depending on where Im riding toand who will be accompanying mea cute little Beretta Bobcatbecause sometimes bad people happen

Back