• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Photo Assignment 01/26/08 COMMENTARY/TESTS

Boney,

I looked your camera up on dpreview.com.

From the review/spec sheet, I can't tell if you can manipulate contrast or saturation (I suspect not).

HOWEVER

You do have some interesting settings. In the "shooting" mode you have portrait and landscape. I suspect this is just a depth-of-field preference, but it may adjust the parameters in question as well.

Under "My Colors" you have a "vivid" setting. This should certainly boost your saturation. this combined with -1/3EV should produce a noticeable difference. Maybe give it a try.

Thanks for the link. I'll be there for a while.

I've generally skipped all the different "mode" (landscape, portrait,etc) on the cameras based on mostly ignorance I suppose. I'll have the check them out. From what I can tell by manipulating the "EV" on my camera is it only serves to change the exposure less than a "stop" or shutter speed. The images appear the same, just brighter or darker... the contrast doesn't look to change much. I can manually manipulate both the aperature and the shutterspeed, but again, it only seems to adjust the brightness of the exposure and not the contrast or saturation.

I guess I'll have to look more closely at the G9 before I drop the cash.

here's link to an article I found on PC Photo Mag's site that may be useful to you. It explains the various modes nicely plus has examples. Its always good to have more than one source of this sort of information, what one article may miss the other may cover, or cover the topic in such a way that it may make more sense for some. There are quite a few good how-to's on this site, I'll be setting up a thread soon for just this sort of information that we can share as we find them.

point-and-shoot-like-a-pro

RM

Of the two shots above, which are nearly identical, I vastly prefer number two. Whereas number one is a unique view of a familiar subject, number two is that and it tells a story. A familiar scene is being enacted here, and it bolsters the hidden witness feel that the viewer has when looking at the image.

yeah I did note that myself, the woman taking the shot of the two facing away, but didn't think of it in those terms. Of course you're right, it does tell a very typical story, guess for me it was just SO typically touristy that even though I saw it, it was more of a "dang I wish I could a decent clear shot!" But the tourists just kept coming, as soon as one set left, another bunch would show up! Ha Ha.

RM

yeah I did note that myself, the woman taking the shot of the two facing away, but didn't think of it in those terms. Of course you're right, it does tell a very typical story, guess for me it was just SO typically touristy that even though I saw it, it was more of a "dang I wish I could a decent clear shot!" But the tourists just kept coming, as soon as one set left, another bunch would show up! Ha Ha.

RM

Photoshop is a great solution to get the tourist out!
I like the nighttime door shot, very interesting. Things are so big in DC, you did I nice job capturing a unique view.

I like the nighttime door shot, very interesting. Things are so big in DC, you did I nice job capturing a unique view.

Well that would be a no no for the assignment.... I did consider having an over boiled six day old hotdog at one of the stands then going back and then letting go a *big one* to clear some space........

but decided that would be decidedly unkool.....

and not very Rocketman like....:laugh

RM

( word of warning, NEVER eat dogs from the stands on the mall, NEVER!) don't ask me how I know.....:dunno

Or... Wait for an interesting tourist, and take the shot, including them. Esp. if PS'ng them out isn't within the spirit of the rules.

Years from now, those tourists are how you'll date the photo. Leaving a good one in isn't all bad.

I've even had a German guy looking at a shot of mine, of small-town Ohio, comment that what he finds odd about American cityscapes is the lack of people in them. In Europe, people walk and are visible on the city streets.

Or... Wait for an interesting tourist, and take the shot, including them. Esp. if PS'ng them out isn't within the spirit of the rules.

Years from now, those tourists are how you'll date the photo. Leaving a good one in isn't all bad.

I've even had a German guy looking at a shot of mine, of small-town Ohio, comment that what he finds odd about American cityscapes is the lack of people in them. In Europe, people walk and are visible on the city streets.

Walk? now that would be downright unamerican! :laugh

that was one of the things that I loved about living in the heart of the city as I did for years, hardly ever had a car and on bad days when I didn't walk (shudder!) or ride, there was always the bus, and then metro.

RM

In the process of reducing the amount of shots from 300 to only 199 keepers, here's the one I've kept as a temporary screen saver. I like the way the geese seem to be materialising from the light source.

246995600-L.jpg

Promise, scouts honour, no more geese, unless I ride up this weekend and get some with the bike in the shot too.

Back