• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

zuma mount 05 rt

J

jstewart64

I am very new, not very puwter savy , If any one could give me a little help setting up a zuma mount that doesn't have all the swivel balls and big ugly
mount that just isnt right

I have seen the expensive way but the boss is pissed at me for the purchase
of the unit so that one is not going to fly

Thinken off the shelf above the speedo

thanks see what two fingers can do

Techmount has a very clean mount. For the Zumo, you will need the accessory plate as well.

21004_mirror_mount_on_a_bmw_r1150rt.jpg

Fred
'07 R1200R

Techmount setup looks cool. But does it block the mirror? I ended up mounting my zumo with a RAM mount down near the steering head. Not the greatest spot. But the Garmin supplied RAM mount blocked the mirror no matter how I moved it.

Techmount setup looks cool. But does it block the mirror? I ended up mounting my zumo with a RAM mount down near the steering head. Not the greatest spot. But the Garmin supplied RAM mount blocked the mirror no matter how I moved it.

I have my Zumo on the left side with the techmount. It doesn't block the mirror at all. Very adjustable. It was $80 for the mount and $25 for the BMW connector to power up via the GPS connector. Works very well.

I've got the techmount in the left side for my Zumo. It's a great spot because it's close enough to see and use the controls on the Zumo easily while riding. It does block the left side mirror a little but I've added one of those small round convex stick on mirrors there to help with that.

The stock mirror on the RT isn't that great, I'd say it's probably the worst feature of the bike. I've got a K1200S mirror in the right handlebar mount which is the BEST mirror I've ever had on a motorcycle. Terrific view to the rear and side even with bags on. This set-up works really well for me.

I am very new, not very puwter savy , If any one could give me a little help setting up a zuma mount that doesn't have all the swivel balls and big ugly mount that just isnt right

I built one. Went to Home Depot and purchased a piece of steel that is 2" wide, about 1/8" thick and 4 feet long. IF you can operate a file, hacksaw, a drill and a can of Krylon black paint, you can build your own.

c9d746172f.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Please note that you're seeing it from the back side. The unit sits on the "top" of the dash board and screws into the 2 wholes that hold the top of the dash board in place (just underneath the windshield.

Well...I make these in my spare time and have sold a few to friends on the BMWSportTouring.com board. I have a '05 Rt and was like you, frustrated at the lack of clean neat installation solutions.

So I found a lunch hour and using a CNC card lathe at work and some aircraft grade billet aluminum...designed and crafted the base which is a 'press fit' into the opening under the black plastic cover on the top triple tree between the handle bars. Using a Ram 1" ball which I provide, you can then mount whatever you like...

Jim

Attachments

• 226448301-S.jpg
    226448301-S.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 202
And when installed looks like this...except the base in the photo is my prototype and has 2 screw heads that are not there in the ones I make now...

Jim

Attachments

• 226448279-S.jpg
    226448279-S.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 206
You could go with the nav mount that BMW makes, very easy and clean. part #71 607 687 853. You will need to use the cradle mount screws that came with your Zumo. I just finished the install on my 07 RT. There is also a blanked off connector for GPS power at the steering head.

Earl

Attachments

• farkles edit.JPG
    farkles edit.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 204
Well...I make these in my spare time and have sold a few to friends on the BMWSportTouring.com board. I have a '05 Rt and was like you, frustrated at the lack of clean neat installation solutions.So I found a lunch hour and using a CNC card lathe at work and some aircraft grade billet aluminum...designed and crafted the base which is a 'press fit' into the opening under the black plastic cover on the top triple tree between the handle bars. Using a Ram 1" ball which I provide, you can then mount whatever you like...
Jim

Hi Jim:

Well, that's great if you have the knowledge and the equipment to do that. :) Unfortunately, I have neither. I considered your solution, but ultimately rejected it because I wanted a mount that put my GPS close to my line of sight. You solution causes one to have to look away from the road to see it. Mine does not. Also, for those of us who can only use the old--bend it--technology, mine's cheap to make.:brad

It comes down to the old and reliable: "different strokes...."

Sorry Henry...I didn't mean to seem I was 'dissing' your mount in favor of mine. Your mount is fine, and the best part is you were able to fabricate it yourself and it works for you!!

I wear bi-focals, yes I'm oooold..., and it helps to not have to bend my head back just to get the screen in focus. I simply glance down thru the lower part of my glasses and its all there for me to see. Plus there is often 'stuff' happening on he screen, like changes in scale as you approach an intersection etc., and I found that distracting when it was in my "line of sight'...I'd rather concentrate on the 'real road ahead' than the pixelated one :lurk .

So to each his own, whatever works!!

Jim

Sorry Henry...I didn't mean to seem I was 'dissing' your mount in favor of mine. Your mount is fine, and the best part is you were able to fabricate it yourself and it works for you!! I wear bi-focals, yes I'm oooold..., and it helps to not have to bend my head back just to get the screen in focus. I simply glance down thru the lower part of my glasses and its all there for me to see. Plus there is often 'stuff' happening on he screen, like changes in scale as you approach an intersection etc., and I found that distracting when it was in my "line of sight'...I'd rather concentrate on the 'real road ahead' than the pixelated one :lurk . So to each his own, whatever works!!Jim

Hi Jim:

Not to worry...I didn't feel like you were "dissing" me or my design! And you're not that old, are you??? I'm in my mid-50s and so I know the bifocal problem. Let's face it...chances are if you own a newer Beemer it's likely that bifocals are now part of your life! :) That's actually one of the reasons I prefer a "high mount", so I don't have to wear the bi-focs when I ride!

I can say that my mount is rock solid. It doesn't vibrate, at idle or any other speed for that matter.

Ride safe & KTRSD,

I have the tech mount on my 12RT. Mine is mounted on the left side and it doesn't block the mirror. I like it because it keeps the Zumo up higher where I can see it. I've also seen people just use the stock Zumo bar mount. The stock u-bolt isn't big enough but other sizes are available at your local hardware store.

Guess I should mention I made a few copies of my custom base, ( see previous post photos...), the last time I got a lunch break on the CNC card lathe. They are sitting on my bench at home.

If anyone would like one send me a PM...:dance

Jim

Back