• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Three layer riding pants or over pants?

beeryboats

I loved the idea of the Tourmaster 3 layer jacket and bought one. I love it! I received the same pants for Christmas and wasn't so pleased with the product. Not only was the fit bad, but too heavy as well. The jacket has adjustable sleeves, so if you remove all the inner layers you can tighten up the sleeves so they don't flap in the wind. The pants don't do that.

So I retuned the Tourmasters and I'm looking for what my friends call overpants. Same concept to me, but whatever. Anyone want to recommend some? I'm looking for a slight improvement in warmth and a big improvement in safety. I found out the hard way that Levi's don't wear well against asphalt at 80mph! I still have the scars almost 20 years later!
Jay

Dave and I wear First Gear HT overpants, and are very happy with them. They have an easy to remove liner for water/wind protection and are nicelt vented for summer.

Dave and I wear First Gear HT overpants, and are very happy with them. They have an easy to remove liner for water/wind protection and are nicelt vented for summer.

Again, I'm the Luddite I guess. The notion of stopping to put on rain pants always bothered me. When it is raining I want out of there. Too many transient midwest thunderstorms in Kansas I guess. The notion that I might stop, take off my riding suit so I can add the rain resistance inside it is so alien to me that I simply won't consider such a suit.

Which is why, I suppose, I am on my 2nd Roadcrafter 2-piece suit with zip on bib top for the pants.

Why not use Draggin jeans, or equivelant, then use a light rain pant as a pull-on when the weather looks like turning nasty.
The light rain pants roll up and fit in your pocket, or tank bag.
You normally get plenty of warning on weather changes, so pull over, and pull on the wetties. Simple, and cheaper than all the other options.
And when you get where you are going, you dont look like the Michelin man.:laugh

+1 Paul

I couldn't agree more. I just wore out my First Gear Kil 2 Jacket at about 60K. I was about 1/3 through my second pair of HT overpants in the same amount of miles. I replaced them with a Dairen and Darien pants. I feel the First Gear set gave me good service.

I can't imagine touring and having to stop to don rain gear. Especially when sometimes I have spent literally days on end in and out of rain storms. I firmly believe 1 suit needs to do it all. :bikes

Why not use Draggin jeans, or equivelant, then use a light rain pant as a pull-on when the weather looks like turning nasty.
The light rain pants roll up and fit in your pocket, or tank bag.
You normally get plenty of warning on weather changes, so pull over, and pull on the wetties. Simple, and cheaper than all the other options.
And when you get where you are going, you dont look like the Michelin man.:laugh

I own a set of Draggin Jeans and will wear them very occasionally for a short ride. I don't consider them adequate protection in most circumstances. Sure they have Kevlar which offers a little abrasion resistance - but they offer next to no impact resistance at the knees or hips.

My other problem with the Kevlar is that the lining is the Kevlar - and the seat lining is rough and scrapes the back of my legs like an old burlap sack. Granted - these are ten years old - maybe they improved them, but Draggin Jeans are minimal gear for somebody riding with his or her buddies who wants to look like they are cool and riding without gear.

That doesn't apply to everybody who uses them - but that is their main marketing pitch, and they know their product best.

Springtime in the great plains is great riding weather - but you may be in and out of showers 10 times in one day. And it is generally just cool enough that you don't want to ride wet. And warm enough out of the showers that you don't want a sauna suit on either. I am a touring rider - I "live" on the bike most of the summer. My main motorcycle use is travel. Where I live in the winter it is 53 miles to town. If I was just riding a few miles to the store, or out for a sunny weekend afternoon ride my needs would be different. But that's not what I do - so the full riding suit treatment - ATGATT - is what meets my riding style.

I saw those in a catalog and I'm leaning that way. Price is okay, but I hate shopping for clothes and shoes from a catalog without trying them on.
Jay

My Firstgear HT overpants ARE waterproof, so when it rains, I don't have to change them. The liner is great for colder temps. I took out the liner on day 1, and have yet to put it back in. Since they're "overpants", I have not needed the extra insulation.

I have a pair of rain pants that are always in my sidebags. I used to use them quite a bit...before I got the Firstgear HT's.

I took a chance, and bought my Firstgear HT's online without trying them on. They fit to size, i.e. if you wear a 36 pants, get a 36 overpants.

Try www.newenough.com. They usually have good prices on Firstgear stuff.

Last edited:
I have an Olympia Airglide II Jacket and have been very pleased. I look forward to purchasing the pants in the spring.

Bill

My Firstgear HT overpants ARE waterproof, so when it rains, I don't have to change them. The liner is great for colder temps. I took out the liner on day 1, and have yet to put it back in. Since they're "overpants", I have not needed the extra insulation.

I have a pair of rain pants that are always in my sidebags. I used to use them quite a bit...before I got the Firstgear HT's.

I took a chance, and bought my Firstgear HT's online without trying them on. They fit to size, i.e. if you wear a 36 pants, get a 36 overpants.

Try www.newenough.com. They usually have good prices on Firstgear stuff.

How are they for length?
Jay

How are they for length?
Jay

Length was good for me, I can't remember if I ordered a tall or not. My inseam for normal pants is a 34, and the length of my HT's is just right. In fact, I don't remember if inseam was an option when I ordered mine.

I see now on the newenough site that you can specify inseam on the HT II's. Again, I'd just order to fit like your normal pants.

HT overpants run true to size in both waist and length. I seem to remember a size chart on First Gear's web site. Trust it. Of course to fit properly, riding pants are extra long as they need to be the proper length when seated on a bike. All the top manufacturers take that into account. HT's are great pants. I've been through 3 days in a row of steady rain and they never leaked a drop.

True to size?

I wear 40/30 blue jeans, and ordered 44 overpants, and they didnt fit, I have since exchanged them for 46 and they are just too baggy now.

At the same time I also ordered the meshtex 2.0 in 42, and they fit great!

Odd...

Everybody has different needs and wants. I am with Paul, I own a Roadcrafter and am on my second set. I have owned a Darien set, First Gear set, Olympia, and tried on just about every other company that I could find. None of it is good if you don't wear it, so it has to fit you, meet your needs and be practical. I can't stand rain suits, so if it is not waterproof, I have to zip things in or out, that does not work. The same thing goes with the vents in the summer... if I have to close the vent so I don't get wet, why bother.... My pants have to be overpants, full length zipper is a must, it is a pain in the a** to put pants on and off while at work having to take your boots on and off.... I can do better things with that 5 minutes and that procedure will quickly wear out... (I am in and out of my suit at least 3 or 4 times a day, as I work in different locations during my shift work). I am picky about were the zippers are and how they function (ie can I open/close them while riding with gloves on?)
In my younger years I bought a Roadcrafter new and wore the poor thing out. It was great piece of gear, performed flawless, is waterproof and windproof (I know some people disagree, but mine was/is). I went with cheaper brand/ different brands to see if I would like them could layer more, even went with a Darien outfit for a while, but I went back to the Roadcrafter.... Matter of choice and personal preference... my food for thought....:eat :drink

First gear HTs

My lovely wife bought a pair of First Gear HT overpants and the performed very well when we crashed. The fabric tore but she had no abrasions. She took the liner out as well and was comfy when it was cold out. She felt they needed to be broken in a bit to really be comfortable. Being a tall girl she got a pair in a mens size which gave her plenty of length. We plan on going back to the HTs when we replace our gear.

:type

Back