• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

800gs

Anybody hear anything about BMW NA doing "something special" for those who had placed a deposit on the F 800GS? I caught a wiff of such a rumor today.

F800GS at the Show

Just came back from the International Motorcycle show in Atlanta, GA. Saw all motorcycles and especially lurked by the BMW grounds. All makes were there except the old F650GS nor the F650 twin. Am glad that the F800GS was present. The F800GS is a whopping 120# lighter than the R1200GSA and only about 50# lighter than the R1200GS. It's a tall bike, looks skinny, bare of what I am used to:R1200RT; R1200GS, not too much bigger than a F650GS. It didn't look too attractive if that is what you might want. I did find it a bit "cheap" in regard to refinements compared to the bigger GS brothers. It's in my opinion a true 60/40 or 70/30 (off-road/slab) bike. You can tell by its bigger 21" front and 17" rear tire. Two-up rear seats are kind of small. It can get crowded for two-ups like the F650GS. It's a good single rider bike.

Regarding the Deutsche Motorrad magazine report on the F800 cylinder scorching and wear after 50k km. This was primarily on the F800S and not the GS. I think this has been alleviated by shifting the engine piston angle forward as reported by you guys. The BMWNA guys here candidly admitted that the weak dollar is the cause as well as production underestimation of how many the US wanted. Europe, Africa, the land of Oz came first all due to better monetary return. The demand in the US was so great that BMW would lose too much money so as you might guess...it will come in the fall with a higher price tag unless the dollar prevails:thumb

Anybody hear anything about BMW NA doing "something special" for those who had placed a deposit on the F 800GS? I caught a wiff of such a rumor today.
:lurk I loooove rumors. Especially motorcycle rumors. Even most especially internet based motorcycle rumors. :banghead

The demand in the US was so great that BMW would lose too much money so as you might guess...it will come in the fall with a higher price tag unless the dollar prevails

I think I can safely predict the dollar will be lower in the fall - the interest rate cut(s) Bernake is touting will put a lot of pressure on the already depressed dollar and it is expected to trade lower - those holding lots of dollars (China) are saying it'll trade a lot lower.

I think I can safely predict the dollar will be lower in the fall - the interest rate cut(s) Bernake is touting will put a lot of pressure on the already depressed dollar and it is expected to trade lower - those holding lots of dollars (China) are saying it'll trade a lot lower.

So what you are saying is we either will not see the F800GS in the Fall as announced, or it will arive priced much higher, as many of the other bikes may be by then. Got to love the World economy!

falling dollar

I will bet you that prices on all foreign goods will be higher in the fall.

Based on the opening of the foreign markets today, they are betting on a global recession caused by the US. The sell off is global and sharp.

If we do hit a recession, BMW may delay the introduction of the GS because it will not want inventory sitting around on showroom floors for 6 months (the dealers do want that either.). Why bring out a model to sit around and then have to worry about clearing them out for the 2009's?

So what you are saying is we either will not see the F800GS in the Fall as announced, or it will arive priced much higher, as many of the other bikes may be by then. Got to love the World economy!

I don't have a clue what BMW will do - the US is their biggest market, my guess is they'll be willing to accept smaller profit margins to sell the bike. They don't have a lot of options, raise the price and reduce market share - or price it as announced and accept lower margins. I'd bet on the latter.

I don't have a clue what BMW will do - the US is their biggest market, my guess is they'll be willing to accept smaller profit margins to sell the bike. They don't have a lot of options, raise the price and reduce market share - or price it as announced and accept lower margins. I'd bet on the latter.

Meanwhile, BMW has disenfranchised many F800GS buyers with a big SO WHAT! That spreads quite far and quickly.

HEY !!!

I'm just wondering if anyone has heard what the price is for the new 800GSA !!!

THANKS,
MIKE M.:usa

I don't know what their profit margin is, but they could sell at a slight loss and make it up in Farkle sales. Kind of like grocery stores with their loss leader ads to lure people into the stores who then buy lots of stuff they don't need.

I'm not saying we all don't NEED farkles. LOL

Here is the latest information from my Good Guy BMW Dealer David Slepak in Scottsdale

Below is a verbatim post from Mr. David Slepak, Owner of BMW Motorcycles of Scottsdale. Everyone in my BMWMOA Chartered Club AZ Beemers has been wanting to know what was currently going on with the "UNSTOPPABLE" 3/08/08 sales campaign of BMW North America and BMW Motorrad AG. David was kind enough to share with us what he knows of the situation. David is BMW Dealers Representative for the Western US, so this is no doubt the latest and greatest:

Good Evening Don,

Thank you for your phone call today, I am glad that I was able to reach you on the way home this evening. Read your post on the AZ Beemers website and wanted to make sure that you and your fellow club members have all of the correct information.

As of right now, BMW has communicated to us that plans will continue for a ÔÇ£NationalÔÇØ sweepstakes to win an F800GS, entry for this to be connected via the BMW Motorcycles Website and forms to be validated at local BMW retailers.

You had asked me if we will be having an open house on the 8th of March. While we will not be able to show a bike that isnÔÇÖt available in the US til September we are in the process of trying to identify a value added event to the local BMW community some time this spring. I am working with several different ideas that would speak directly to the growing GS community in Arizona. Both Josh and I have worked extremely hard to offer several wonderful opportunities like Helge Peterson (Spring 2006), Andy Sills (Summer 2007), sponsored viewings of ÔÇ£The Fastest Indian,ÔÇØ Jim Hyde GS School and more. As this becomes a reality I will keep you in the loop.

While Victory and Iron Horse will obviously not have F800GS motorcycles on display I canÔÇÖt confirm or speak for them as to what their plans are for March 8th event. I would suggest calling Rick or John directly to determine what their plans include if any.

I hope that this provides you with some clarification as to the plans in the coming months, while confusing & ever changing please feel free to email me or phone any time. I again thank you for your support and friendship.

Warm regards,

David J. Slepak

Dealer Principal / General Manager

Euro Motorsports Scottsdale

BMW Motorcycles of Scottsdale

Ducati Scottsdale

Vespa North Scottsdale

MV Agusta Scottsdale

Triumph Scottsdale

14870 North Northsight Blvd Ste 100

Scottsdale Arizona 85260

Phone: (480) 609-1800

Fax: (480) 609-1801

www.euromotorsportsllc.com

Don't forget to join our e-newsletter for the latest events, specials and more!

I'm curious as to the source for the "US is their biggest market" comment. The last numbers I saw Germany was their biggest market and even Italy had more BMW motorcycle sales than the US. It varies a little by model. The US was big in K1200LTs, but South Africa bought more GSs.

If the USA is indeed BMW's biggest market, they are in a bit of trouble because of the weakness of the dollar.

Perhaps BMW simply wants to sell F800GS in markets where they don't lose money.

Perhaps the delay is to given everyone a chance to forget the price originally floated.

Paul as far as I know you are correct, the US was the thrid largest BMW market in 2007. The following article is from Dealer News and was widely reported elsewhere. I have not been able to confirm the numbers yet.

dealernews.com
BMW reveals top markets

Everything that I have been reading in the European sites I follow have the F800GS coming out as scheduled in Europe and South Africa.

BMW Press Release

PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE FOR MOTORCYCLISTS AWAITING ARRIVAL OF BMW's F 800 GS
01/25/2008

New Adventure Bike Expected to Arrive at Retailers This Fall
Woodcliff Lake, NJ - January 24, 2008... Motorcycle enthusiasts eagerly awaiting the arrival of BMW's new F 800 GS will need to be a bit more patient, as production of the middleweight dual-purpose enduro will be delayed due to worldwide demand for the popular F 650 GS. The F 800 GS is expected to be available at US BMW Motorrad retailers in Fall 2008, making it a 2009 model.

Fulfilling a need for a pure off-road oriented motorcycle that still has all the power, handling and reliability required for long-distance adventure touring as well as on-street handling, the F 800 GS is perfectly positioned as a middleweight dual-purpose enduro. The bike, representing yet another market segment in BMW's dual-sport category, follows in the footsteps of its highly acclaimed "older brother" - the R 1200 GS - which traces its roots back to the early 1980s when BMW won the grueling Paris-Dakar rally four times with its trailblazing dual-purpose R 80 G/S.

The F 800 GS, BMW's latest dual-purpose enduro, features an asymmetrical double headlight and a look that is sleek, trim and 100% aggressive. With a compact 85-horsepower parallel twin engine, lightweight steel trellis frame and double-sided swingarm, along with a chain drive and longer front and rear suspension travel, there has never been a BMW dual-purpose machine offering such a unique blend of power, comfort and off-road muscle.

The 2008 BMW Motorrad GS line features the upgraded R 1200 GS and GS Adventure models, which will arrive in dealerships this Spring. Since their debut in 2004, the versatile R 1200 GS and its rugged companion, the R 1200 GS Adventure, have earned praise from motorcycle enthusiasts and the press for their exceptional performance both on and off the road.

The R 1200 GS has earned award after award, including Cycle World's Best Open Class Street Bike and the International Journalist's Panel "Best Bike in the World." For 2008, this go-anywhere motorcycle has several enhancements that meet the demands of serious motorcyclists on both dirt and pavement. A new aluminum handlebar which can be mounted in two positions offers increased ergonomics, making its seated (or standing while off-road) position even more comfortable. Its engine offers 5% more power and its new transmission ratios also mean quicker acceleration and better low-speed traction.

The R 1200 GS Adventure - named "Best Adventure Bike" three years in a row by editors of Motorcyclist Magazine - also offers a number of significant features that make it even more adept at riding to the ends of the earth. In addition to new design elements, including two-part, two-color hand protectors, the new 2008 R 1200 GS Adventure provides a taller windshield, adjustable seat and extra wide foot pegs making long days in the saddle both comfortable and enjoyable. A generous 8.7 gallon fuel tank allows the rider to cover vast areas of territory easier and optional ABS enhances braking safety when required.

The most significant technological development found on both the 2008 R 1200 GS and GS Adventure models is optional enduro ESA (Electronic Suspension Adjustment) technology (a first-time offering for BMW off-road bikes) with three damper settings - Sport, Normal and Comfort -- giving riders the option of customizing both front and rear suspensions to his or her specifications. Whether they are navigating the urban jungle or touring off the beaten path, these GS models have set a new standard for the entire adventure bike category.

Motorcycle enthusiasts got a preview of all three new GS models at Cycle World IMS shows this winter

Paul as far as I know you are correct, the US was the thrid largest BMW market in 2007. The following article is from Dealer News and was widely reported elsewhere. I have not been able to confirm the numbers yet.

dealernews.com
BMW reveals top markets

Everything that I have been reading in the European sites I follow have the F800GS coming out as scheduled in Europe and South Africa.

"...confirm the numbers" [?] The dealernews.com report is nothing more than a repackaging of an official BMW AG Motorrad press release on 01/18/2008, reprinted among other places in your very own:kiss Morning Reads here:
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=23071

Yes, according to year-on-year unit sales data released by BMW Motorrad over the last decade, the US fell from 2nd to 3rd place (now behind Italy, and perennial leader Germany) as of 2006.

Today, BMW NA Motorrad's own Roy Oliemuller finally issues an 'official' press release apology & explanation for delay of the 800gs:
In the BMW Group PressClub
"PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE FOR MOTORCYCLISTS AWAITING ARRIVAL OF BMW's F 800 GS
01/25/2008
New Adventure Bike Expected to Arrive at Retailers This Fall
Woodcliff Lake, NJ - January 24, 2008... Motorcycle enthusiasts eagerly awaiting the arrival of BMW's new F 800 GS will need to be a bit more patient, as production of the middleweight dual-purpose enduro will be delayed due to worldwide demand for the popular F 650 GS. The F 800 GS is expected to be available at US BMW Motorrad retailers in Fall 2008, making it a 2009 model...."

Now of course whether that's an accurate/ complete explanation of the delay is a question we can churn forever.

Back