• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

January Thaw

monkeywork

Mad Scientist
Rode into work today (Pittsfield Massachusetts)

was surprised not to see any other bikes on the road!
2177468607_efed486784.jpg

Nice looking bike!

The weather here started warming up on Thursday and by Saturday and Sunday, me and some others were out on the roads. On Saturday, there were five other bikes I saw and on Sunday two or three. Got the Funduro home and gave it a good bath on Sunday.

Monday was warming and mid-forties or near fifty dependent on location but was raining. May rain today. Tomorrow clear but colder and then winter's back by Friday but as long as it's ice/salt free, I'll be out.

It was 65 by noon in DC so I went for a nice airhead ride on my 78 R100, without needing gloves or overpants! Rode it to word today as well, its going up to 70+, guess I'll be taking the LONG way home today!:dance
Nice change from last Sat when it started out at 24 deg on my ride down to the dealer. or even from the early morning ride where I shot the ice thawing on the Occoquan. Can't be to far till spring.......

RM

It's all a trap to suck riders into the open and then IQF

Individually
Quick
Frozen

It must be due to global warming or the primary in New Hampshire. :laugh

So tempted today to put the battery backin and go for a scoot.

ps. nice bike

spring thaw in the burgh

Yesterday I rode to work. It was 55 degrees at noon on the way to work and 62 degrees at 9pm when I rode home. I have lived here 8 years and this is the first time I have been able to ride to work in January.

Mark

i could have been riding the last couple days if my bike wasn't trapped in the basement with still a half a foot of snow outside the door and the final drive in 8 pieces on my workbench :( i'm jealous.

Chicago check-in

Was warm enough, but very wet.

I saw 6 or 7 bikes throughout the day, not one of them a BMW. My wife was ready to go, not me though.

ride

I last rode to work before Xmas when roads were dry but at 05:30 it was 21 degrees . Now so much rock and gravel on roads from ice it would be a very slow commute .

k bike fairing

where can i get a fairing/headlightsetup like that for my K.?. very cool...sean hershey..smhersh03@aol.com

... and then there is Watertown, NY. I wonder when they will get their motorcycles out to ride?
A friend forwarded them me. The amount of snow seems unreal. Anyone from Watertown out there?

Watertown05.jpg

Watertown04.jpg

Watertown03.jpg

Watertown02.jpg

Watertown01.jpg

Monkeywork, your K75 looks to be vintage mid-80s. My first Beemer was a 1985 K100 that I rode for 15 wonderful years. I've been blessed in my last two locations to be able tto ride all year. South Carolins gets some cold days and a few ice storms. The Pacific Northwest doesn't get too cold or too hot in the summer like SC but rains for 7-8 months a year. I manage to ignore the rain and ride year round. We're starting to get dry sunny days near 60 that has motorcycles out in full force. At least here in the Portland, OR area there are plenty of BMWs owned here. SC sucks with few dealerships, only one BMWMOA club and no BMW rallies. Maybe my friends in the Aiken, SC chapter(new) can get one started.

Egads! Remind me not to complain about the foot or so we had on Saturday... We've had thaws to melt what has been a record snow fall this year. At the rural house we probably had close to 3 metres of snow at a minimum, but the thaws nukes a good chunk of it so we've only got about 1 metre left on the ground here. Expecting more tonight. Sigh...

Now I'm just waiting for the Maple sap to flow freely and start boiling it down, that's when I know riding season will be upon us shortly up here in Central Ontario...

Back