Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ON article...impaired riding-Its about time!

bmdubyou

Thumbs up ON article...impaired riding-Its about time!

"is it REALLY a good idea to get all screwed up and then go for a motorcycle ride?"

I'd like to thank Mr Friedle for an excellent article of the perils of riding while impaired. I would assume the question he poses would be rhetorical but at the same time...look at the figures he notes; alcohol is a factor in 44% of single vehicle motorcycle fatalities. When will we learn?
    I agree that we need more alcohol-free riding events and rallys (and that doesnt mean free beer)!

I have no problem with Rallies having alcohol. The problem is people who haven't figured out mixing the two is no good. Temptation is not a reason, it is an excuse, IMO.
    We actually lost a friend, because he left camping for more beer. I see no problem with keeping plenty for people that want to stay put.

R.I.P Art.
    Last edited by Rapid_Roy; 01-08-2008 at 01:05 AM. Reason: added thoughts and more facts
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    It still comes down to personal responsibility. I drink at rallies. But I also park my bike at Rallies. Other people want to ride. People should be able to make their own decision.

Also having the Beer Garden is a great "Town Square" so to speak as the amount of people I bump into there at a rally is huge.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid_Roy View Post
    R.I.P Art.

What he said.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador; Candidate for Director 2018
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Bikes, Guitars, and ... beemokat's Avatar
    I'll pile on this one. I keep riding and drinking separated. Either one is entertaining enough on its own, assuming of course, that we are talking about drinking with pleasant company, and not getting solitarily smashed. That, I have no interest in.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    My personal policy is "zero tolerance" of alcohol when riding.

Then the latest ON has an article about all the great biker bars you can ride to around Gillette WY.

Many group rides I'm invited to participate in always start and end at a bar.

Alcohol at a rally, when the bike is parked for the day, is no big deal. But what about "pub crawl" rides that all seem to be such an important part of many organized group rides?
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Impaired riding???

No matter HOW MANY TIMES we've all made the choice to ingest alcoholic beverages and drive , it's NEVER a smart choice.

My personal thought on this is as follows - if I'm in the car and have had a beer or a glass of wine (or two), it's not a smart thing to drive while there's alcohol in my system. Stupid enough BUT I DON'T HAVE TO BALANCE THE CAR WHILE DRIVING IT!!!! How much MORE STUPID is it to ingest alcohol and RIDE?!?!? I can't calculate the number...
    JAY
    2000 R1100RT, Opal Blue 87,000 miles
    57,000 BMW miles in 6 years

adamceckhardt
    Quote Originally Posted by dvandkq View Post

?

+1.

On occasion I'll meet up with friends for dinner and I'll take the bike. No matter how tempting it is to have "just one beer" I never do if I have to take the bike home. Too many things going against us when we ride- might as well keep on top of what we CAN control.

I'll second the zero tolerance for alcohol and riding.

There's enough going on to keep you busy on the roads, adding alcohol is asking for trouble.

Once the anchor is down, have at it.
    http://www.monksvoice.com

I could be the voice you're hearing.

petepeterson
    Yep!! 56% of the dead riders were stone cold sober... Some were killed by stupid car drivers,, But allot were killed because they couldn't ride very good but too much ego got in the way........Drinking and driving within limits is fine..Just know your limitations... Plus the stats are not perfect by any stretch of the imagination.... If you drink one (1) beer ride to the corner light, stop to wait for the green, have an air head (brainless) idiot run over you from the rear and its considered a alcohol related accident... And POOLLEEEZ!! No "Well I would have moved up or jumped off or whatever some super hero's can do......

Just the other day on one of these elitist forums it was brought up as to the astronomical number of people killed last year due to alcohol,, like 42,000.......
    If anyone would have bothered to look, that wasn't so bad....Consider that in your state right now at least 22% of the cars on your roads have no insurance or license..... But back in the 70's there were 50,000 + dieing on the roads every year with allot less people here........

So if you think just because you don't drink and drive, or smoke, or don't eat fatty foods and exercise regularly your going to live forever...... I got some really shocking news for you,,,,,,,,,,,, Oh I forgot......Diversity.............Pete

Alcohol at a rally, when the bike is parked for the day, is no big deal. But what about "pub crawl" rides that all seem to be such an important part of many organized group rides?
    I did a "poker run" with a local group, last year. Another Airhead rider invited me up. We were the only BMW's... the rest were other brands; all cruisers. When I got there at 11, there were already people downing a few beers... some more than a few. Then they split into groups and we went to the first location. At least 1 more beer there, then to another... more beer (probably 2, on average). I dropped out at that point and went home. I hadn't been drinking with the rest of them, BTW. I probably would have left sooner, but the two BMW's were leading the pack... for some reason we kept getting WAAAY ahead of everyone else. Still, I wasn't feeling too safe with them around me, and didn't want to witness an accident. I didn't attend this year, of course.

It's amazing that club has been around since the 40's or earlier.

I'd venture a guess that many of the riders who are drinking and riding are likely much of the same crowd that rides sans ATGATT. One reckless behavior reflects a general attitude towards saftey and thus other reckless actions are more likely. Of course this is just speculation based upon my observations.

I have no issue with alcoholic beverages associated with rallies. I quite enjoy those sorts of refreshments at the end of a days riding. In fact, I am quite partial to it. But ONLY after the riding is done.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

gened12

Talking +!

Then the latest ON has an article about all the great biker bars you can ride to around Gillette WY.

I'll drink to that lol

cheers

Denis

bmdubyou
    "Drinking and driving within limits is fine..Just know your limitations..."

Drinking and driving is not fine. People kill each other when they do so...THats why its illegal! People get alcohol in their system and they do NOT know their limitations. When its avaliable at rallys & functions people will drink themselves into stupidity. It seems most of you on here are an exception but let me ask this...why do we need beer to enjoy an activity?

It's a personal choice......

To me there is a big difference between having a few beers and getting behind the wheel of a 5000 lb SUV or jumping on a 600 lb motorcycle. While both situations are inviting disaster, the potential for doing harm to others is far greater in a car than on a bike. That being said, I believe we all have a responsibility to avoid behavior that endangers others, but if you are a solo rider and you want to stop at the local biker bar and have a few beers, do so at your own risk.

As far as beer at rallies, the vast majority can enjoy the social camaraderie without pushing it too far.