• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Why I Go To Moa Rallies

O

ontheriver

:whistle The adventure of riding to a destination is high on the list, kind of a quest for fire. It takes a certain type of personality to endure the rigors of 2 wheeled travel and the constant companionship of mother nature. I've been happy,sad,thankful and scared half to death through the years of traveling the black ribbon of death, but that is the point in my world. Arriving at a place where like minded individuals gather is a welcome solace and the MOA rallies I've been fortunate enough to participate in are some of the best ever encountered. 25 consecutive years of making the run to Sturgis and Daytona are no match to the BMW events. My first MOA event was Redmond followed by Missoula and Lima. These rallies offer so many interesting things going on that it still blows my mind. Add the fact that the Marque is an exclusive small and above average community of intelligent individuals (check out all the seminars) willing to impart their knowledge to others makes me proud to be associated. When I tell/show future members the Annoymous book and the plethora of benefits of MOA membership they can't believe how well organized this group of people is. The cost of membership and rally fees are such a deal (compared to other marque events) that they are once again in disbelief that it is a non profit organization with mucho volunteers filing the void. I'm closing in on 10 yrs of membership and 41 years in the saddle and in the many moons passed have never run across anything that compares to the MOA. Everybody has an opinion (some folks 2 or more) and this is mine. A BIG THANKS to all who make this club work!
Hope to see/meet you in Wyoming!
MOAFFMOA TRANSLATION: moa forever, forever moa:whistle

:whistle The adventure of riding to a destination is high on the list, kind of a quest for fire. It takes a certain type of personality to endure the rigors of 2 wheeled travel and the constant companionship of mother nature. I've been happy,sad,thankful and scared half to death through the years of traveling the black ribbon of death, but that is the point in my world. Arriving at a place where like minded individuals gather is a welcome solace and the MOA rallies I've been fortunate enough to participate in are some of the best ever encountered. 25 consecutive years of making the run to Sturgis and Daytona are no match to the BMW events. My first MOA event was Redmond followed by Missoula and Lima. These rallies offer so many interesting things going on that it still blows my mind. Add the fact that the Marque is an exclusive small and above average community of intelligent individuals (check out all the seminars) willing to impart their knowledge to others makes me proud to be associated. When I tell/show future members the Annoymous book and the plethora of benefits of MOA membership they can't believe how well organized this group of people is. The cost of membership and rally fees are such a deal (compared to other marque events) that they are once again in disbelief that it is a non profit organization with mucho volunteers filing the void. I'm closing in on 10 yrs of membership and 41 years in the saddle and in the many moons passed have never run across anything that compares to the MOA. Everybody has an opinion (some folks 2 or more) and this is mine. A BIG THANKS to all who make this club work!
Hope to see/meet you in Wyoming!
MOAFFMOA TRANSLATION: moa forever, forever moa:whistle

Sometime last year I passed the 30 year mark in MOA. I managed to enjoy 24 National Rallies. Some years we attended 14 or 15 or 16 local rallies too.

What he said! For sure!

Quote; " The adventure of riding to a destination is high on the list"

But I think the best reason is the people I have met and became friends with along the way. The circle of friends keeps geting bigger & bigger!

Of the 21 years that I have owned my 1977 R100RS I have attended 20 MOA National Ralies only missing Rapid City SD. 435,000 miles later (on the same bike) I can only say "Where is the next Rally?"

Darryl

To visit and ride in places I have never been, to spend time with old friends and meet new ones and to be with a group with a common interest.

Sometime last year I passed the 30 year mark in MOA. I managed to enjoy 24 National Rallies. Some years we attended 14 or 15 or 16 local rallies too.

What he said! For sure!

You and Voni have me beat. I joined in '84 and went to the 1st Missoula. Missed the next 2 rallies cause they were too far away for me to ride "all by myself":laugh

I've missed a total of 3 out of the last 24. For me it's the friends, vendors and seminars. I don't think I've made it off the grounds for the last 10 rallies.

If you're new to the rally.....volunteer!! (We'll have the list up soon) It's the best way to meet fellow members!

I used to backpack all over the high country of Colorado and Wyoming; I have summated most of the 13ers and a handful of the 14 thousand ft. mountains, bought tons of packable camp gear, and enjoy loading "my little world" into a pack along with a good book and heading to some destination. Motorcycle touring is an extension for me of what my old knees can no longer tolerate; the travel, the same thrill to pack up the night before, and the thrill of planning a route to go is the same!

But what is over and beyond the solitary travel I have done via hiking boot or motorcycle is the rally experience. I went to my first BMWMOA rally last year, and met many like minded people, extremely friendly people from all sorts of backgrounds, with one major thing that brought us together; the bike! Sure many have same backgrounds now that I've got to know them, but the group thing was way different than I have ever done before, and I like it! It's what brings me back; the people!

I STILL use the same gear I used for hoofing it on my bike, my tent, my bag, my stove, etc...Still get the same rush of going to unknown destinations, of risk, of unknown, of danger (on the road, NOT AT the rally, duh) so the same rush is there.

Last year I did about five overnighters on my bike, two being rally trips. I still enjoy my solitude trips, but one or two rally trips absolutely will be on the agenda because of the people, AND the destinations.

red

Last edited:
I STILL use the same gear I used for hoofing it on my bike, my tent, my bag, my stove, etc...Still get the same rush of going to unknown destinations, of risk, of unknown, of danger (on the road, NOT AT the rally, duh) so the same rush is there.

red - i need your help in contributing to the "always an adventure" column... interested???

ian

Riding new territory, meeting up with friends, making new friendships and of course checking out all of the farkles to be offered by the vendors are reasons for going to Wyoming or any National Rally. I took a GW friend to the Green Mountain Rally last September. He could not get over the organization, the cost and the friendliness of all the Beemer riders. I told him that he should experience the MOA National, the grand daddy of Beemer rallies. This community is a very warm and giving group.

Back