• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Snow Belt Riders Club idea

BAck when I was spending time in Uncle Sam's Yacht Club, a ship I was on mad a trip north of the Arctic Circle. With some ceremony, crewmembers were invested in the Royal Order of the Bluenose. Now, nearly everybody has a nose, I believe. Or, how about the Frigid Digits? Well, lemme think about that one.... And, yes, on the way home yesterday the sleet was freezing on the faceshield. Fortunately the roads were too warm for the precip to freeze. AAAh, springtime in Wisconsin!

hmmmmmmm

Ice balls? Goof balls?

Do we have to be medicated to join?

What about a rally? The first on the first?

The first of the first on the first to be held at Itasca State Park
in the center of Minnesota. The headwaters of the Mississippi.
On January 1, 2005.

Featuring ice fishing.
Don't use the big ice cubes for bait, as they are now illegal in Minnesota - you must use mini-cubes or chips.

I'll have to check to see if the park is open at that time, as our state budget shortfall has caused a lot of cut backs.

Ole drove past Swen's place and saw his tractor and manure spreader in the front yard. In front of them was a hand lettered sign reading "Boat fer sale."

The next time Ole saw Swen down at the Fetch 'N' Go, he asked,
"Say, Swen, I saw yer sign but I only saw yer tractor and spreader, what's up?" to which Swen replied "Vell, daer boat fer sale."

If you got a chuckle out of these, then you probably shouldn't show up on January 1.
If you didn't, and you want I should explain it to you, then I'll see you at Itasca on January 1.

robR80/RT

It's Itasca State Park -- check it out here: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/itasca/index.html

Itasca does not have any openings on the First. St. Croix does though, and they have a group lodge available.

Ride in on the 31st, party on the 1st (Saturday), and leave on Sunday (the 2nd.) for home.

And, the first of the First on the First doesn't have to be in Minnesota... I would prefer a Lodge, with indoor facilities, as it would be pushing the limit to both ride and camp in below freezing conditions. This shouldn't be a survival ordeal, just a challenge. We should NOT put ourselves or others in danger, but if we can make it, let's do it. You should have to earn braggin' rights to having attended the First BMW MOA rally on the First of the year.

Who knows, this could turn out to be like the Iron Butt run, but different - the Numb Butt Rally. Gotta be in the snow belt though.

Last edited:
Hmmm, let's see what the weather brings then. I usually schedule a ride on 1/1. There's nothing so invigorating as riding along and looking into a cage full of people wondering what you're really doing on a bike this time of year. Standard reply, "Well people ride snowmobiles, don't they?"

Greetings to Ole und Sven.

Heck I will just consider myself a Rounder, and when we get together, just have a secret handshake, that is good enough for me.

Got the secret handshake

all figgered out. But if I share it then it would lose it's secretive value (or secretion).
Screw the club idea - just ride the dang bikes. (Who had the stupid idea in the first place anyway.....)

Count me in Cliffy!

I love the idea!

Snow balls...Snow Glory!

Know Snow....Know Glory.

Ride when your brass monkey won't!

Count me in Cliffy. Where do I sign up.

DANG! Gotta wait six months now to start. Sssssshhhhaaawww.

Re: Count me in Cliffy!

oldcarkook said:
I love the idea!
DANG! Gotta wait six months now to start. Sssssshhhhaaawww.

I can't say that I'm too sad with the waiting six months thing!

count me in

Ya can count me in! I dont mind the cold at all and would love to ride with others that are just as crazy as me to ride when the temps are below 40. Here in michigan we have 2 seasons... winter and construction. winter is over :(

If any one wants some tips on gear that will keep ya warm just drop me a note. (we have riden our ski-doo's at -20 and still keep warm)

Count me in

Where do I sign up, I just performed my first oil change this year. AND yes it did get changed when I put it away in the middle of December.

Let's hear it for the last bike out and the first bike in the parking lot.

I agree, Leather beats the heck out of textiles.

Back