Thread: Spam Increase

Greg

Angry Spam Increase

Has anyone else noticed an increase in their SPAM or Malicious SPAM? Since joining mine has increased but I've now hidden my email address. Hope it's not too late

Oh well unno

Greg

Re: Spam Increase

Originally posted by Greg
    Has anyone else noticed an increase in their SPAM or Malicious SPAM? Since joining mine has increased but I've now hidden my email address. Hope it's not too late

Oh well unno

Greg
    I haven't.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Oh well unno

Greg
    I have not had an increase, but I have done something to deter spam. If you want to have a visible email address, you may want to try this. I set up a Yahoo email address that I usually use to give out to anyone outside of "friends." Registered with Amazon - give them the Yahoo account. Buy something from Chicago BMW, Yahoo account again. Etc., etc.

BTW, FWIW, I did NOT use my Yahoo account here and I haven't received any new spam.

YMMV.

Re: Re: Spam Increase

Originally posted by BMWGypsy
    I have not had an increase, but I have done something to deter spam.
    Sorry. Deter isn't correct. I use Yahoo as my *spam collector.* Yeah, that's the ticket.

no more spam than usual here. Making your email address "visible" here doesn't make it any more susceptable to grabbing. It just allows vBulletin to enable the email form. Nobody can see your address, unless you respond to the email form, and then it's only to the recipient.

That said...anything is possible, I suppose.
    "No one wants advice -- only corroboration." -John Steinbeck

Like San Jose BMW Motorcycles on Facebook.

Since switching from a Mac to a PC recently, I've been getting several of those damn "messenger" pop-ups a day. I mean, penis enhancement sounds SOOOO tempting, especially "without painful stretching". :yow

Can anything be done about these things?
    AMA Charter Life, BMWMOA, IBA, CRBMWOA, CHI-TOWN CREW

"The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see."

G. K. Chesterton

Originally posted by Ron B
    Since switching from a Mac to a PC recently, I've been getting several of those damn "messenger" pop-ups a day. I mean, penis enhancement sounds SOOOO tempting, especially "without painful stretching". :yow

Can anything be done about these things?
    Have you run AdAware from Lavasoft?

If you've got spyware, it may help you get rid of it. You didn't accept installation of Gator, did you?
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Has anyone else noticed an increase in their SPAM or Malicious SPAM?Greg
    Life would be so simple if my ISP had a "smart" e-mail filtering program where I would upload both approved e-mail addresses of friends and acquaitances and a code to look for in the subject line. The program would then do a compare of incoming mail and look for approved e-mail addresses and the subject line code and bounce back everything else. Basically, it would f**k those capitalist *******s that want to sell me something every second of the day.

Considering supply is usually based on demand and that 50% of spam mail deals with pecker enlargement, I can only assume there are a lot of teeny weenies walking the face of this planet. Go away and target the ones that really need it!

Originally posted by KBasa
    Have you run AdAware from Lavasoft?

If you've got spyware, it may help you get rid of it. You didn't accept installation of Gator, did you?
    Don't know what "gator" is, and am not aware of any "spyware". Am I correct in assuming that spyware is something that is surreptitiously placed on ones computer by the bad guys? "AdAware" will help rid me of this pestilence?
    AMA Charter Life, BMWMOA, IBA, CRBMWOA, CHI-TOWN CREW

"The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see."

G. K. Chesterton

Originally posted by Ron B
    Don't know what "gator" is, and am not aware of any "spyware". Am I correct in assuming that spyware is something that is surreptitiously placed on ones computer by the bad guys? "AdAware" will help rid me of this pestilence?
    Yep. Some websites (not ours, of course!) place small programs on your machine that track where you go on the web. AdAware will help you get rid of them. Don Eilenberger turned me on to it and it works terrifically well.

Gator is kind of like that, except that it runs on your machine and puts ads up when you visit websites that are different than the ones the web site has actually put up. Kinda confusing....
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Has anyone else noticed an increase in their SPAM?
    Greg
    Not only an increase in SPAM, but an increase in dumb SPAM artists.

These losers try everything in the way of slick "subject line" headings to get you to open their crap. Sorry guys, it just won't work.

My e-mail is sorted at another site before it makes it to my computer. During the last two days, I received a slew of "Delivery failure", Undelivered Mail Return to Sender", "failure notice" and "Out of Office AutoReply" notices, but all from different addresses.

Will these losers ever get creative enough to outsmart me? Nope, your mail just gets a "Select All" and "Delete". Too bad we can't find another DC sniper to take care of people that send out SPAM. That would be better than winning a lottery.