• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tampa, FL - Gillette, WY

AnMar

I'll be heading out to the 08 Rally in Gillette this summer. Any riders from the Tampa bay area going to make the trip? I plan on stopping in Kansas City for some BBQ and pick up another BMW rider. Camping and an occasional motel are in the plans...welcome to anyone who wants to come along.

Anthony M.
2004 R1150RT

hey anthony - i wrote an article that outlines a good ride for you. i think it is going to be published in the february issue of bmw on.

here are a couple of teasers:

k12rs.jpg

believe it or not, this is in kansas.

and....

sculpture.jpg

this is also in kansas!

however... by the sound of your ride plan, you might enjoy the other part of the article... riding across south dakota with NO slab.

hope you have a great ride to gillette!

ian

Savannah Rider Would Join

I live in Savannah GA and would like to ride with you. When we select a route I can meet you. If you don't mind keeping the speed around 70/75:laugh for my old K100.

DSC04349.JPG

Last edited:
Kansas: Its really not flat

If anybody traveling to Gillette wants to/needs to have a place to stop, you are welcome to camp at our place in the Flint Hills or stay at the treehouse in Elmdale, Ks. http://www.middleamericariderssociety.org/index.html for more info.

I will be going to the Rally and want to leave a few days early for a round-about trip to Gillette thru northern Colorado and up the west side of WY to Yellowstone then onto Gillette. I travel two lane roads whenever possible at speeds that are comfortable, given the conditions, and usually stay in Mom and Pop motels while traveling. I expect to avg about 450-500 miles/day. You are welcome to join me.

Tom

Meet you in Tampa

Anthony - My wife and I are planning on making the trip to Gillette from South Florida.
We'll be two up but we move down the road pretty well. I haven't given much thought to a route yet but Kansas BBQ sounds alright with me.

Jim N.
Weston, FL

Hey everyone,
thanks for the response. looks like I may have some company and that would be mighty nice. Tom thanks for the offer of the camping in the Fling Hills. I'll seriously take you up on that. I'll get the directions as the time nears. I'll look for your article Ian in next months issue. Thanks again!!! Anthony

Hey everyone,
thanks for the response. looks like I may have some company and that would be mighty nice. Tom thanks for the offer of the camping in the Fling Hills. I'll seriously take you up on that. I'll get the directions as the time nears. I'll look for your article Ian in next months issue. Thanks again!!! Anthony

Just give me a holler.:ear

Tom

How long do you think the trip to Gillette, WY will take?

I'll keep an eye on this thread. I may either be riding up from here in Brevard County FL, or possibly the Rome, GA area depending on which relatives my daughter ends up "visiting" while I'm gone to the Rally.

I'm also looking at mixed camping/motels. Some sightseeing on the way up, but lots more on the way back. I also want to use as little superslab as possible and still get there on the same calendar page I depart on.

I'm figuring 2300-2500 miles up or more depending on side excursions. So at a minimum four 600 mile days or five 500 mile days. A couple of years back I rode from GA to western OH for a gathering immediately before the MOA Rally in OH. I was able to keep on schedule with a decent mix of slab and state/US hiways - maybe 50-50 on each.

Mark,
Just perused the site and saw your post. I'll be planning a more detailed route sometime this month and will post on the site. would enjoy having the company and comraderie for the trip. Planning on a 50:50 ride of highway and interstate to South Dakota and then all highway through SD to Gilette. I plan on volunteering at the rally, so will want to be there by wednesday afternoon.

Sounds good. I'll be figuring out my starting point probably by early June - either here or Rome, GA as mentioned above.

I'm still collecting ideas on desirable waypoints to make the trip up interesting without burning too much time. So far, routing myself up through Land Between the Lakes, KY looks promising.

As one of operations bosses I worked for on a large staff used to say... Plan early; Plan often. So I collect ideas until the last moment and then the plan gels. Or as us staffers used to reply to the boss.... If you wait til the last minute, it only takes a minute. Planning strategies to live by :thumb

although i will be leaving from NY and riding backroads my first two days out but from Lima OH i will run the slab (75 N to 90 W towards Chicago, but will avoid that mess) into Devils Tower where i will camp at the KOA before heading into Gillette. not sure how you guys are going but perhaps some of us can exchange cell numbers in case someone runs into any trouble along the way.

George

hey anthony - i wrote an article that outlines a good ride for you. i think it is going to be published in the february issue of bmw on.
<snip>
this is also in kansas!
<snip>
ian
where is the Kansas Chopper sculpture located?

USMC69.
BBQ sounds good. My wife and I love the back roads. My son is a new young rider and arriving to WY earlier is a good thing, since my son will be participating in the Camp Gears. We always enjoy group rides and good company.
Count us in. :thumb :thumb :thumb
Miami Beach, Florida.

Tentative route to Gillette

I've been doing some brainstorming over the route to WY and trying to mix it up with some haulin' on the first two days and then some moderate crusing and enjoyment. Here it is (subject to change...):

Depart
July 10: Dunedin, FL to Atlanta, GA (or thereabout) Interstate 75 474 miles,
(8hours) Motel probably.
July 11: Atlanta to Dover TN (Kentucky Lake) Camping, fly fishing. 329 miles
(6 hours)
July 12: Dover to Granite City, IL (just outside St. Louis) camping, more fly fishing.
250 miles, (6.5 hours)
July 13 Granite City to Kansas City, MO 255 miles, Interstate 70 (4hours 20 min)
Lunch, KC BBQ. Investigating best of KC BBQ.
Kansas City to Nebraska City, NE 164 miles (4hours 20 min) scenic,
State recreational area, 30 miles south of Omaha. Camping. Yep, more
fly fishing!
July 14 Nebraska City to Yankton SD 204 miles (5hours 30 min). Lewis and
Clark Lake. Camping and maybe some....fly fishn?
Jyly 15 Yankton to Hot Springs SD 359 Miles (8hours 45 min) On the edge of
Black Hills Natl Forest, several places to camp or camping cabins.
July 16 Hot Springs to Gillette WY 144 miles (3 hours 30 min). Less any
excursions we may want to do to get there.

I like to ride safe and stay around the speed limit or just sprout over a few mph.
As you guessed, I love to fly fish, (fresh fish dinner!) so I tried to pick places that have water for just that, and add to the spendor of camping, "cabining" sometimes. Most of the campgrounds being considered have the option of cabins vs camping. I prefer stopping about every 2 hours, hydrating, and a power/protein bar if not lunch at some Mom and Pop establishment. All the routes are State or US highways unless otherwise noted. All the destinations selected have been done on the Tom-Tom. Just input the data and you'll probably get the same routes I have. One and all are welcome to ride partway or all the way out with myslef and friend James. Thoughts and suggestions are welcome!!! Peace to all, Semper Fi ; Anthony

I just posted a tentative route and departure date. Take a look and let me know if your interested. Ride safe and ride happy. USMC69

USMC69
The route looks good.
We can meet on I-75 on the way to Atlanta.
Since I do not like Ocean fish and prefer freshwater fish, we will gladly join you for the portion of the trip up to the KC BBQ. My son needs to be at Rally on the 15th. I hope you will be catching lots of fish. I don't like to go to bed hungry.
P.S. How do you cook the fish? Should I bring a fry pan?:thumb :thumb :thumb
Count us in.:usa :usa :usa

104: looking forward to the ride with you. No fry pan needed, I have everything.
I like to poach, sautee, fry, bake...just whatever tickles my fancy.
Sometimes, I might even get a little gourmet with a reduction of some sorts.
None the less, I just have to catch it first. Always have a plan B. Ride safe
and ride happy.

Visian: thanks for the heads up. Custer is on the list !!!

Back