• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1200RT antenna installation help needed

G

gened12

Hi

I decided to install a DIY radio on my 07 RT. I purchased the BMW antenna kit and am looking for installation diagram or info. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Denis

Drill a hole in the fairing put the antenna in and tighten the screw...does that help, cause I have no clue.:wave

Bonjour Denis!

If you can wait a couple of days before drilling, I have the service manual on DVD at home, I'm at the cottage until tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it shows the placement of the antenna somewhere there.

What radio have you decided to go with? I'm going to be putting a Pioneer unit on my R12RT - they have a waterproof marine remote control unit that I'm going to mount on the left side of the fairing where the OEM controls would go. There is also an iPod and XM radio attachment that is much more cost effective than adding XM to a Garmin. I'm interested in what others are doing.

Cheers!

I searched the maintenance CD for radio aerial and only found a couple of torque requirements:

Antenna earth strap to fairing bracket, M6 x 16: 6 Nm

Antenna earth strap to antenna earth connection plate, M5: 2Nm

The pre-delivery check addresses "Installing Antenna Rod", but no other details.

There was a bunch on installing and removing the radio, but nothing (not even mentioned) on the aerial.

Sorry...

My farkling project

Bonjour Denis!

If you can wait a couple of days before drilling, I have the service manual on DVD at home, I'm at the cottage until tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it shows the placement of the antenna somewhere there.

What radio have you decided to go with? I'm going to be putting a Pioneer unit on my R12RT - they have a waterproof marine remote control unit that I'm going to mount on the left side of the fairing where the OEM controls would go. There is also an iPod and XM radio attachment that is much more cost effective than adding XM to a Garmin. I'm interested in what others are doing.

Cheers!

Hi I decided to become completely anal for this project and searched the web for months to get ideas for this installation. I wanted an AM-FM-CD-IPod-BMW Navigator-XM radio-Radar detector all wired in the Autocom. My goal was to make a completely hidden installation except for a small remote controller (that had to look stock).

I purchased a Sony Marine unit XPlod X30 and the ipod controller plus the remote
http://www.xplodsony.com/RM-X11M

This remote is black with orange back lighting and looks like it belongs. It fits on the left side where the OEM radio controls would go. There is a little masking plastic plate to hide the holes where the controls would go. a bit of cutting and fitting makes the whole thing look good. It controls all the toys above (except the GPS and the radar detector).

I connected the radio to some Polk 4 inch speakers and the rear output is connected to the Autocom. So when I do not want to hear the speakers I just switch the fader to the rear and still get the music through the Autocom.

I took the time to install an additional horn (the wiring is already there) so now I have a two tone scary loud warning system...

I then modified a garage door opener and used a modified 12-9 Vdc converter to a small switch that I installed in the same space as the remote controller.

Te electrical distribution was made using a 6 fuse box connected to a relay directly to the battery and provides 5 circuits that are key switched and one that is permanently live. I purchased the fuse box and the harness from Eastern Beaver. I also purchased several automotive connectors in order to easily disconnect all my installation should it need to be taken apart for servicing. All connections were soldered and shrink wrapped. In addition I found out that the tape that BMW uses around all the wiring harness is simply stock fabric hockey tape. So I did the same and the result looks really cool.:brad

Total cost for everything is around 1000$ including Autocom Super ProAV. Total farkling time was 2 weekends (one for the power installation, one for the rest).

I will try to post some pictures later.

Cheers

Denis

Some pictures

Here are some pics of the set up I did. Sorry some are not too good but you should get the idea nevertheless.

Attachments

• IMG_1275.jpg
    IMG_1275.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 149
one more pic

This is the remote that controls the radio, cd, ipod and XM radio all in 2 inch diameter with orange backlighting.

Cheers

Denis R1200RT

Attachments

• IMG_1276.jpg
    IMG_1276.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 121
Denis,

I assume you mounted the radio in the glove box? What did you use to mount the radio there?

Here's a couple of pictures that might help with the aerial install..

aerial 1.jpg

aerial 2.jpg

Thanks for your info.

Wow, thanks for the info. I even asked my dealer for info and they could not come up with anything!!! You're the man!

I made a small L-shape bracket out of a stiff piece of aluminium and bolted one end to the back of the radio ( there was a threaded hole already there) and the other through the radio box on the bike (requiring a small hole). the whole thing is pretty sturdy but only time will tell lol.:scratch

If your dealer is like mine, a car dealer who sells bikes, then it does not surprise me. I get the impression they know how to follow the book and are trained not to think outside of the box at all. I pulled this from the CD ROM which they easily could have done.

Cheers!

Back