• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

pillion heights

ultracyclist

What is height from the ground to the top of the rear pillion (highest point) on the:

1.) F650GS?

2.) F650CS?

3.) F800GS?

thanks in advance.

happy New Year!

Just curious as to why the height of the pillion seat matters?

I realize I may be ignorant because I almost never ride with a rider. However, as far as I can recall, the instructions to the rider are to NEVER put their feet down unless the bike is stopped and the driver has their feet down.

The only other issue is whether or not the rider is limber enough to get back there. I've always had the rider get seated after I'm aboard and settled. They can use the peg as a step and my shoulder to steady themselves. I also try not to have a rider who's heavier than me, although I've done that too.

Just curious as to why the height of the pillion seat matters?

I realize I may be ignorant because I almost never ride with a rider. However, as far as I can recall, the instructions to the rider are to NEVER put their feet down unless the bike is stopped and the driver has their feet down.

The only other issue is whether or not the rider is limber enough to get back there. I've always had the rider get seated after I'm aboard and settled. They can use the peg as a step and my shoulder to steady themselves. I also try not to have a rider who's heavier than me, although I've done that too.

MrsK has a hard time getting her foot up high enough to climb on the back of the GS. Her gear has knee pads and it restricts her leg movement. Once she's up there, she's fine, but climbing on that bike can be a problem.

She's been climbing on the back of my bikes for 30 years and uses my shoulder as the grip and the footpeg as the step with a dainty pivot to get seated.

I just traded PMs with ultra b4 I saw this thread

and his concern over the pillion height is for him mounting the bike due to an injury.

Thank you, bigdelta...

I do not wish to dwell on personal injuries, but yes that is true. Combo of sports injuries.

I am looking for a commuter/city bike.

The two contenders are now a newer Bonny and a K75.

The Kawa Versys has a 36.5" pillion height, the BMW F650 (and now by default-the F800GS) according to bigdelta is 37", and the Suz SV650 is about the same. I have no interest in entering a high jumping event every time I mount the bike.

The scooters do not do anything for me.

Ride safe bigdelta, and drink only bottled water in Mexico!;)

Good luck in your search

I do not wish to dwell on personal injuries, but yes that is true. Combo of sports injuries.

I am looking for a commuter/city bike.

The two contenders are now a newer Bonny and a K75.

The Kawa Versys has a 36.5" pillion height, the BMW F650 (and now by default-the F800GS) according to bigdelta is 37", and the Suz SV650 is about the same. I have no interest in entering a high jumping event every time I mount the bike.

The scooters do not do anything for me.

Ride safe bigdelta, and drink only bottled water in Mexico!;)

I had a hip problem a few years back and it was a concern for me too.Mine was a combination of sports injuries and OLD AGE!:laugh

The spec sheet on p. 67 of the January ON (from the Milan show press kit) says that the F800GS seat height is 880 mm which is 34.6 inches.

I haven't seen the bike, and haven't measured, but that is what the spec sheet says.

I have the f650GS with the factory lowered option; I jut went out and measured, and it's 35.5 inches to the highest point at the extreme rear of the seat . . . the original seat. If yoy ride any distances at all, you most likely will not be keeping that original seat.

Back