• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin BMW Mottorrad III GPS Power Cord Installation

calmil

EyeBiker
I need suggestions/help with installing a power cord for my my Mottorrad III GPS (came as a kit for 1150RT) on my '07 R1200RT. The mounting hardware for the unit fits the bike perfectly and I have purchased a power cable (# 71607686670) which would attach the GPS unit to the CANBUS unit. Is this something I can/should be able to do or must it be done at a dealership? The dealer is 2 1/2 hours away. If I it is a simple plug in, as it appears to be from the cable, I would like to know how to proceed.

Is it necessary to remove fairings? If so which, how is the cord routed in the bike, and is it a simple plug in to the CANBUS or must additional wiring be done, etc.?)
Cal Miller
:scratch :scratch

Cal -

If the power cord you purchased is the same as the one supplied with the 12RT kit, then your connection is very easy to make. There is power connector for the GPS located under the fairing near the center fairing mounts. It is attached to the frame with a zip tie and has a rubber plug inserted it to protect it from the elements. Just remove the plug and plug in you power cord, and you should be good to go. You can get to it from under the fairing without removing any parts, although there is limited room to manuever.

If you can't find the outlet I will snap a photo of mine for you.

Good luck. You do not need the dealer.

Cal -

If the power cord you purchased is the same as the one supplied with the 12RT kit, then your connection is very easy to make. There is power connector for the GPS located under the fairing near the center fairing mounts. It is attached to the frame with a zip tie and has a rubber plug inserted it to protect it from the elements. Just remove the plug and plug in you power cord, and you should be good to go. You can get to it from under the fairing without removing any parts, although there is limited room to manuever.

If you can't find the outlet I will snap a photo of mine for you.

Good luck. You do not need the dealer.

Thanks, Steve, My bike is in the carport and it's about 20 deg so i'l wait until tomorrow when I think we will get back to freezing. But it sounds like I should be able to find it.,
Cal

I installed my Garmin Zumo on my R1200RT using a touratech mirror mount and a power connector from BMW. I didn't need to take anything off, although it was a bit crowded. There is a thread at http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=2798.0 that has a lot of detail. I used that for the power connection, works like a champ. Took about 30 minutes, most of that was splicing the BMW connector onto the Garmin cable and carefully zip tying the cable along the handlebar etc.

I installed my Garmin Zumo on my R1200RT using a touratech mirror mount and a power connector from BMW. I didn't need to take anything off, although it was a bit crowded. There is a thread at http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=2798.0 that has a lot of detail. I used that for the power connection, works like a champ. Took about 30 minutes, most of that was splicing the BMW connector onto the Garmin cable and carefully zip tying the cable along the handlebar etc.
Thanks. The photos were a great help. Thanks to you and Steve, you saved me a 5 hour trip and a dealer charge to make this relatively simple installation.
Cal

Thanks,

I need suggestions/help with installing a power cord for my my Mottorrad III GPS (came as a kit for 1150RT) on my '07 R1200RT. The mounting hardware for the unit fits the bike perfectly and I have purchased a power cable (# 71607686670) which would attach the GPS unit to the CANBUS unit. Is this something I can/should be able to do or must it be done at a dealership? The dealer is 2 1/2 hours away. If I it is a simple plug in, as it appears to be from the cable, I would like to know how to proceed.

Is it necessary to remove fairings? If so which, how is the cord routed in the bike, and is it a simple plug in to the CANBUS or must additional wiring be done, etc.?)
Cal Miller
:scratch :scratch[/QUOTE

I just got a gamin 650 for my 1150 RT. Anyone know if there is a power outlet up front on the 1150 (04)?

I just got a gamin 650 for my 1150 RT. Anyone know if there is a power outlet up front on the 1150 (04)?
Hi Kent, welcome to the forum. Thanks for using the search feature to try to bring up info on your question. As this thread is in the Gear section-appropriately-if this new activity on an old thread doesn't get you an answer, try a post in the Oilhead section. As that is the bike specific area for your bike, that would be a place to check next. Again welcome and enjoy, Gary

A common place to take power on the R1150RT is the parking light. Easy access. Comes on and off with the ignition. I think I powered a GPS and a radar detector directly from the light, but my memory could be wrong. I might have used it to trigger a relay, instead.

A posi-tap or similar can be used to access power at the leads to the lamp.

Thanks Marchyman,

I'll take a look under the fairing, got the chatterbox today- going to try to blue tooth everything- tired of wires. Ordered a Migsel fairing bar with ram ball to mount the gamin, but had to order it from England, seems like a clean solution.

Will the "super moon" create super tides?

Back