• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1200LT clutches/lifespan;

Polarbear

Polarbear
At 95K on my KLT,'01 model, the clutch still works just fine, BUT? How long I ask myself. I have not heard of too many folks talking about such and I wonder how far some have gone with theirs? I ran into one guy a few years back with 125K on a KLT, before he did the deed of clutch replacement. Any other long distance KLT owners here? I have towed a trailer about 25K total behind this bike and I consider myself very easy on my clutch, so I am expecting more life, into the six figures on the odometer:). Hope, anyhow! You know these bikes are very very expensive to have a clutch job done at the BMW dealer. Its quite an extensive teardown of the bike. I have all the tools, but have no desire to dig in. As a mechanic, I have always prided myself on my ability to keep my bikes going, without much of any aide from the BMW shops. I surely would have never been able to afford my bikes without my ability to wrench a lot:). The KLT has been no exception to my wrenches and my largest challenge of a bike, since I began 40 years ago and I grow tired of wrenching on the "faired" monster, so it goes away soon to my brother, who cannot wait to have it. Its one fine motorcycle and has much life left in it indeed, but I most likely will never buy another faired, mech. unfriendly bike like this. 800lbs. too, is a challenge I won't miss. Back to my GS's:) and my ever so faithful R100/7, which is my savior, regarding BMW's. :violin :thumb Randy13233

Yeah, at 69 I have a 2005 K1200LT, but I'm keeping my bare-bones '75 R90/6 for when I get really old.........!

clutch failure k1200lt

The clutch on my 01 is slipping at 25,000 miles in 5th gear around 5000 rpm. I understand it is probably from a seal leak from the engine bearing and is a $1200 to $2000 repair. I'm thinking I should just push it over a cliff and buy a Goldwing.

The clutch on my 01 is slipping at 25,000 miles in 5th gear around 5000 rpm. I understand it is probably from a seal leak from the engine bearing and is a $1200 to $2000 repair. I'm thinking I should just push it over a cliff and buy a Goldwing.

did you have the weep holes drilled?

The life of clutches and brakes are very user dependent (just like a car or truck). For the most part, the life will be determined by where the bike is used and the riding habits of the user. You can take two identical bikes and one rider may wear out his clutch and/or brakes in 20,000 miles and the other may not wear them out in 100,000 miles.

Let me know which cliff - there are some parts I might be able to use.

06 LT Clutch

At 26K miles, I took the bike in for the dreaded $2000.00 clutch job. Bike is still under warranty, but the clutch is not covered, not even at 26000 miles? I will know in a week if it is an oil leak, good news, but that bothers me too. Anyway, the news will not be good, but hopefully not an impact on my wallet!

LT Clutch life

as osbornk stated there are to many variables to accurately say a clutch will last XX number of miles.

On the 1200LT there are usually two resons the clutch fails.

1) The Slave cylinder seals fail which then allows the DOT 4 brake fluid to pumped through the tranny input shaft and onto the clutch plates. This fluid is not compatable with the seal material on the tranny shafts so they may also start to leak.

2) The O-Ring on engine output shaft starts to leak. This also allows oil to run down the shaft and into the clutch plates.

2a) I personnaly do not believe that the real main seal engine seal leaking would contaminate the clutch unless it it fills the bell housing with oil. Do to design of the pressure plate housing it has a tendancy to fling the oil off before it would ever get to the clutch.

Actual wearing out the clutch I think would takes lots of miles. Example my 85 K with 65K miles, the clutch was still with new tolerances when I replaced the leaking O-ring this spring.

Roy

I am with Paul G. on this. Since I have an LT could possibly use some parts also.

Back