• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Diary of a Barn Queen

HankPfister

Well, I'm jumping into this project, and not sure what the outcome will be. Hopefully at the least I'll have a nice riding R75/5. I rescued this 1972 Toaster from an open shed where it had been quietly rusting away for many years.
159107095-S.jpg

Its worse than it looks. Lots of rust, old dried gas in tank and carbs, steering is notchy, front fender is broke, toaster panel is speckled with rust, exhaust system is total rust. I paid $500 for it thinking I could at least part it out, knowing that it is highly unlikely that I would do a R75/5 that way.
159107141-S.jpg

So over the Holidays I got the old derelict in my barn and started assessing it. I changed the engine, tranny and final drive oils, opened up the carbs and sprayed them down with carb cleaner, swapped the gas tank from my running /5, hooked up a battery, and to my surprise she soon fired up and was running. Rough, but running. I shot some air in the dry rotted tires and took it out for a short spin. Engine running rough, tranny shifts real good...for a /5, speedo and tach are working. So maybe there is hope for this old gal. :clap So its back in the barn and dis-assembly begins.

159107159-S.jpg

The exhaust headers are home made, and total rust. This right side one is frozen, and was quite a beeatch to remove.

236964738-S.jpg

The tranny is coming out. The kick starter is not connecting, so it'll have to be opened up.
The forks and steering head also coming off. They will need some work, and new bearing. This is how far I've gotten so far. Not sure how far I will take this project. Is it a full restoration, or a resusitation? Don't know yet. I'm not a great mechanic.
236965443-S.jpg

I haven't decided yet if the engine is coming out of the frame. If it does, then I guess the wiring harness will come off also, and the frame will get new paint or powder coat. I'll update this thead as I make progress, and decisions. Offer any opinions and support please. This will NOT be a "How to" thread, but more of a encourage other wrenchin' retards that a project like this is doable.

nice barn find
good luck
happy new year
happy many road miles ahead for you
keep us posted

Glad to see someone taking the time to resurrect an old bike. My $0.02 is... You've got it this far apart, so you might as well go all the way, and get the frame powder coated. It does look kind of rusty in the photos Who knows when you'll have the bike torn down this far again. Of course it's always easier spending someone elses money. Anyway, keep us informed of the progress

Way to go Hank. Good luck with your project. Patience is a virtue - I'd plan on about two years....We're working on a friend's '73 R60/5. He had the top end (rings, springs, valves) re-done by Tom Cutter this winter. Tranny seems good so far. Exhaust is on the list. Let us know how it's going from time to time and best wishes for a successful outcome.

Good luck with this Hank. It'll be interesting to follow this thread. The more /5s on the road, the better.:thumb

Hank.......Congratulations on your "find" and thank you for your attitude of preservation. Just before reading this thread I stumbled upon, http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/citybike.htm . First time I had read this bit of news even though I experienced the wobbles on an early 72 back in those days.

Anyway, a bit of research as you rebuild, will no doubt cover this problem as you recondition. So many things to do.........Good luck and may God Bless this project.........Dennis

I would not do a "restoration". The paint looks to be in fair shape, so clean the bike up, fix the mechanicals, touch up the frame paint and put a repop exhaust system on it. Although the chrome panels are pitted, consider just cleaning them up with chrome polish and wax to seal it. If you do a frame up total restoration, you will never get your money out and it sounds like a "toaster tank" is not something you just got to have at any cost.

Thanks for all the encouragement, and suggestions. I've made a little progress, which has led to some decisions. I just hope this does not become one of those "basket cases" you see for sale...." ....for sale, lost interest in project...no time to devote to project.... etc...." I truely hope to one day in the not too distant future see a beautiful well running R75/5 in my stable.
I'm making decisions based on what feels right at the moment. So my gut tells me to go ahead and take out the wiring harness. :doh I'm scared to death of wiring harnessess. But if the engines coming out, then so is the wiring harness.
238942666-S.jpg

And then the engine:
238942680-S.jpg

I really feel like I'm getting in way over my head. But I also realize that the finished project is just a bunch of small steps. And as long as I can complete those small steps it will lead to the desired end product. Thanks to my next door neighbor for helping me lift the engine out. That leaves me with this:
238942694-S.jpg

And a big pile of parts. Now to get busy cleaning parts, and deciding on paint or powder coating the frame, and what color to paint the body parts. :dunno

:lurk :drink
finally a soap opera I can follow

keep us in the loop as progress is made

Hank, you'll do fine. Remember the adage about the longest journey and the first step. I find it sometimes helpful, if I encounter a problem for which the solution is not clear, then just walk away for a while. At the shop where I "play", it's not uncommon to have a head-scratcher, and then I'll call up the next day from my "normal" job and discuss some thoughts that usually work out. Yes, it's a challenge, but you've got all sorts of support and help available, although you will be the one getting dirty. You can do it!

Hank, this is great! Don't worry a bit! I started with a pile of parts and built a BMW. Now I have two that I've built, and 2.5 more in parts! (It's a real sickness...)

Little Queen

It is so nice to see the older Bmw's that are found having a carring owner.
And a excelent post as well, hope to see it finished keep the pics comming
:german

If this thread goes anything like my restorations, I'll be a AARP senior member.:lurk

Thanks for posting this. I have a '71 that I wanted to have running by last ('06) summer. It's still not going yet, but this is encouraging. You appear to have a nice,clean comfortable (hopefully warm) work environment. That should help quite a bit!

I'm impressed. :thumb

It is just a series of small steps. Give it an hour a day and you will be pleasantly surprise how well the project moves along.

Your true grit is much appreciated!

Please keep posting those pictures.

Granada Red

I read on the your post to the /5 group that you are thinking of Granada Red. I'm not sure where in VA you are, but here are pics of my bike done by a painter in Durham, NC. The pinstripes were done by a friend of his. I gave him the Glasurit code for Granada Red, and he says he was able to match it using his references. I was quite pleased with how it turned out.

Attachments

• IMG_4923 small.jpg
    IMG_4923 small.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 814
Thanks CaptnD, nice R60/5. I do like the Granada Red. 'Cept I won't do the pin stripe on the gas tank :scratch That was more for the "early /6" /5s, you know, the LWB ones....:hide :brad OOPs, shouldn't of opened that can of worms LOL.
I'm near Roanoke, pretty far from Durham. I have a good buddy who has painted some motorcycles for me and does a great job.
I am also thinking about painting the headlight and ears to match the tank and fenders. I did that on my other Toaster, and liked the effect. I know its not "correct", but BMW was just being cheap painting all the headlights black. So its not fair that only the black ones have matching headlights and fenders...:laugh

Back