• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

AutoSwitch for auxiliary lights

queretaro

I am using a Kisan Signal Minder on my '95 R1100R. Since the stock turn signal cancel switch continues to function notmally, I assume that I can use an AutoSwitch AS-5NCY single press unit to switch my new (for Christmas) auxiliary lights on and off. Can anyone confirm this.
Regards,
Mark

Do you mean the aux light will flash with the turn signal? If yes, then do you know another way.
Mark

I run my auxiliary driving lights with a relay, and with the relay coil triggered by the feed to the high beam only, then through a switch. If the switch is "on" the lights are on with high beam. When I dim the headlight for oncoming traffic the driving lights go off.

I also run a set of Motolights which are wired so they can be on all of the time or on with low beam only. Riding at night I run them as low beam lights. Then switching from high beam to low beam kills the driving lights and turns on the Motolights. Daytime riding I run the Motolights full time for conspicuity.

In case of a modulator you need to take your power for the relay coil from the harness feed prior to the modulator. This will leave them on, unmodulated.

Paul,
In addition to the Kisan Signal Minder, I also use the Kisan Headlight Modulator, which runs on the high beam. I like the idea of using an AutoSwitch to switch the aux lights on/off with the stock turn signal cancellation button. Since with the Signal Minder, the stock turn signal cancellation button still cancels the turn signals, do you think the AutoSwitch will work?

Followign is a description of the AutoSwitch taken from Cycle Gadgets webpage.

"Model AS-5NCY - BMW, Single Press. This version installs on any non-CanBUS BMW that has a separate turn-signal cancel button (works on all R1100, R1150 models; K1200LT; K1200RS; K1200GT through 2004; R1200C. Does not work on R12GS/RT/ST, K1200GT 2005+, K12S/R, or any other CanBUS bike. See AS-6B and AS-6B2). To activate or deactivate lights, press & hold turn signal cancel button for 1 second or longer."

regards,
Mark

Paul,
In addition to the Kisan Signal Minder, I also use the Kisan Headlight Modulator, which runs on the high beam. I like the idea of using an AutoSwitch to switch the aux lights on/off with the stock turn signal cancellation button. Since with the Signal Minder, the stock turn signal cancellation button still cancels the turn signals, do you think the AutoSwitch will work?

Followign is a description of the AutoSwitch taken from Cycle Gadgets webpage.

"Model AS-5NCY - BMW, Single Press. This version installs on any non-CanBUS BMW that has a separate turn-signal cancel button (works on all R1100, R1150 models; K1200LT; K1200RS; K1200GT through 2004; R1200C. Does not work on R12GS/RT/ST, K1200GT 2005+, K12S/R, or any other CanBUS bike. See AS-6B and AS-6B2). To activate or deactivate lights, press & hold turn signal cancel button for 1 second or longer."

regards,
Mark

Mark,

I don't know for sure. It depends where the autoswitch takes the signal power to turn on the lights. If it plugs into the headlight circuit the modulator may interfere.

I would call Shawn at Cycle Gadgets - 877-742-3438 - I think he can answer your question.

Shawn at Cycle Gadgets confirmed the AutoSwitch will work in conjunction with the Signal Minder.
Thanks, Paul.
Mark

Back