• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Subject: How Many Horses Does It Take?

redclfco

The first time I experienced the feeling of going so fast that my eyes teared up and my cheeks were flapping in the wind was on the equine, not the motorcycle! On a horse, I learned the PLEASURE of riding double:)

I first learned what "carving a turn" and stopping up short and acceleration meant due to fast horses! I also learned about your ride not wanting to start, and how to fix it! Sadly I also learned when the equine ride wore out:cry

I do believe this is what brought me into two wheels, sort of a precursor to riding.

Horse camping for a week straight riding high above the Big Thompson Canyon on the meadows above the steep canyon walls gave me the desire to camp out on the move. The first experience I had tieing everything I owned for camping on a "vehicle" called a horse and leaving for long spells of time was with my dad when I was 9 or 10!

Anybody else there relate?

Last edited:
Wife grew up horsey and we had a few in the barn for a while but life, liberty, and the pursuit of happieness (also called working for a living) kept the time short so sold off the farm section of the property and found homes for the horses (mine was Mail Order Annie, a great little appendix quarter who with a good rider was push button. Unfortunately I wasn't a great rider and pushed the wrong buttons, oh well.)

I envy you the open spaces out west and apparent time to enjoy them. I lived out there 25 years ago and will retire (God willing) back that way some day. Until then, I can only dream of the times you are having.

On the horse as precussor to the M/C. That was my wifes thinking as well but after taking the rider safety course she decided she liked pillion on the bike better. Apparently horses are smarter than most drivers and try real hard to avoid running into each other.

A few years ago I sold my horse (nasty ol'witch!) and took some time away from riding them. I fought with that mare for four years and she almost took away the joy of riding for me. About a year after she was gone, I bought my first bike because I got tired of looking at the back of my hubby's helmet. The bike wasn't compensation for another hobby.

I've found a lot of similarities between the two such as weight distribution in turns, riding position over certain terrains, etc. I'm lately finding that I need to get back in to the horse world but I have no desire to give up my motorcycle riding either. I just need more money!

I've found a lot of similarities between the two such as weight distribution in turns, riding position over certain terrains, etc. I'm lately finding that I need to get back in to the horse world but I have no desire to give up my motorcycle riding either. I just need more money!

Yup, buying the horse is the cheap part.

We have two thoroughbreds at home... I ride a little when there's one to ride (one of ours is not yet broken).

I learned a bunch from horses, too- like if you break your shoulder blade in 2 places (along with your collar bone and several ribs) the ER staff will give you morphine and a standing ovation... :doh

But I like them anyway.

However, don't ever let anybody give you a "free" horse....:rolleyes

I grew up on a horse farm and showing reining horses. That is a performance based horsemanship at speed. It was natural to grvitate to the BMW GT as it is similar, except, when it is parked it doesnt need to be cleaned, fed, shod and vetted! I can relate!

I grew up on a horse farm and showing reining horses. That is a performance based horsemanship at speed. It was natural to grvitate to the BMW GT as it is similar, except, when it is parked it doesnt need to be cleaned, fed, shod and vetted! I can relate!

And the exhaust of your GT, doesn't fall to the ground for those behind you to step in.

The first time I experienced the feeling of going so fast that my eyes teared up and my cheeks were flapping in the wind was on the equine, not the motorcycle! On a horse, I learned the PLEASURE of riding double:)

I first learned what "carving a turn" and stopping up short and acceleration meant due to fast horses! I also learned about your ride not wanting to start, and how to fix it! Sadly I also learned when the equine ride wore out:cry

I do believe this is what brought me into two wheels, sort of a precursor to riding.

Horse camping for a week straight riding high above the Big Thompson Canyon on the meadows above the steep canyon walls gave me the desire to camp out on the move. The first experience I had tieing everything I owned for camping on a "vehicle" called a horse and leaving for long spells of time was with my dad when I was 9 or 10!

Anybody else there relate?

I can relate. We had cattle so our horses were working cow ponies. A good cow horse doesn't require much input from its rider to do its job. They're said to have "cow sense", but I know they also have "rabbit sense."

When I was 6-7 yo, my job was to be around to go for help if my 10 yo brother, who was driving the tractor pulling a brush-hog mower, should somehow get hurt. That meant finding something to occupy my time from daylight to dark. I started saddling my mom's horse and riding around the pastures. Jack rabbits would jump up and run like, well a scared rabbit. Naturally, I started chasing them. After a couple of weeks of my herding the rabbits, my mom climbs on the horse to help pen the cows. All was well until she was galloping across the pasture to head an errant cow back into the herd, and a rabbit takes off at a 90 degree angle to the cows. I probably don't need to tell you what happened next. Thankfully, Mom was strong enough to stay on, but that same strenght was a detriment to my bottom. Needless to say, rabbit chasing was out. Thankfully, my brother's girlfriend liked to ride on back. That gave me someone to play with while he worked.

Ever since I got my first K, I have thought of them as my "horse."

I learned a lot about leaning into a turn, countersteering, keeping your weight down low and in tight, and limiting your input when I ran sled dog teams. When I went from dogs to horses I learned that my own strength isn't that useful and it's all about technique.

I find I still ride my motorcycle with my heels slightly lower than my toes and feet turned inward with some weight on the balls of my feet, plus a loose and comfortable grip on the bars - that's from endurance riding the horses crosscountry.

I enjoy not crashing through the woods anymore. I don't camp in the snow anymore. I go a lot faster and farther in a day now.

If I could convince my wife, I would go back to making my living on the back of a horse. I rode a lot when i was younger. Had two horses when I lived in California. None now. I spent two years working from the saddle. That was a great job.

I live in Jersey now. Not much for riding around here. I miss it.

endurance

My horse, Brayzn, is what got me into endurance riding. This photo is of him on his first 25 miler. I know several endurance riders who are also moto-heads. :D

Attachments

• Brayzn.jpg
    Brayzn.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 85

That's exactly what my riding partner said when I started talking about getting a horse.... I chose not to.

You want a rush, try galloping racehorses. Most of the time, you go for long, slow gallops to build up stamina. You jack the stirrups up so that you are off their backs, and you get in rhythm with them. They're strong, and a lot of them will pull your guts out.
Then you get to 'work' one, which means to let them out at speed.
WHO-ah!
:dance
I love my bikes and my auto racing, but I have to say, nothing gives me the same adreneline rush as balancing on tiptoes astride a 1,000lb horse going full bore. There's nothing like it.
And oddly enough, for the most part, they're easier to ride at speed than going slow. When they are going slow, they have time to fart around and throw things at you. At speed, it's all about pure, raw power.:clap

Sympathy - ER wise

If or when you crash off your horse - ER staff give lots of sympathy, empathy and maybee even a standing O.
If or when you crash while skiing - ER staff are sympathetic.

If or when you crash while driving a brand new to you sidecar rig - ER staff believe that you are semi suicidal and in need of immediate correction. Sympathy = 0 DAMHIK :blush

Last edited:
Nothing is as good to the inside of a man (woman) as the outside of a motorcycle or something like that. Sorry Teddy.

Dave H
San Antonio, TX

Back