• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

got s%#@ buying RT

G

ghostridery2k

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got f#%^.I made arrengments with seller on the phone,agree on the price,got official check from my bank,had install hich on my car($280),rent a trailer($50 deposit)and plan to pick up my new bike on saturday but NO GO.Got E mail from seller trying to bump me to orginal asking price.I wil not point my fingers at him but i think this was NOT COOL!!!! I will not pay higher price then i agree to NO WAY! This deal cost me $330 so far and i got nothing.I may use new hich some day.
I GOT F@#K!

Sounds like a combination of three elements. Hook & switch, greed and seller remorse. All three lead to unethical and shameless practices. Actually, the seller has a right to refuse a sale but if he agreed to any transaction and you have written evidence, you have an agreement that can be considered a legal negotiation.
My last point. Somebody with these shady practices should not be trusted on their word and what ever conditions he told you that the bike was should be ignored.
You may have dodged a bullet and prevented purchasing a bike which conditions were misrepresented as well. That's my hunch.

There are PLENTY of other good bikes out there for a fair price. I feel for your disappointment and hassles. Best of luck ghostridery2k and thank you for sharing your story. It make us be more alert and prepared for future purchases.

Kind Regards,
Gil

Ghostridery2k,

Sorry you got ripped off - that's a real bummer. If the seller is unethical in this dealing perhaps his merchandise is also suspect. Maybe you lucked out.

Now what do you do? The good news is you are in the season for many good deals on bikes. A local BMW dealer has been selling dozens of bikes on Ebay. You get the lower prices of eBay plus the warranty.

I notice several other dealers have BMW motorcycles on eBay. Tis the season to thin the herd and promote cash flow. January can be even better depending on the weather and how many Christmas bills owners have to pay off.

Go to eBay and set your buyer preference for no more than ... say ... 250 miles. Enter BMW motorcycles and watch all the results. You are in primo #1 territory for finding a good used bike. Illinois is in the middle of BMW country.

There was a primer on using ebay in Owners News a couple of months ago. Read the article. I think one of our regular forum members wrote the piece.

Good luck and good hunting.

That sucks....I was taught that a man is only as good as his word. I guess we know how much this guys worth.

Handshakes aren't what they used to be. :dunno Doesn't seem like you could have done anything to avoid it. Bummer. Myself, I'd name names if the person was selling it here...in the eBay world we call that feedback, you don't owe this person privacy! (as long as you are just stating facts and don't attack them)

I would think of it this way. If he was that dishonest with you on the purchase, it makes me wonder how dishonest he was regarding the condition of the bike.

I say good riddens.

So it does not happen to one of us, what was the vin number on the bike?

Easy :german

Lucky YOU

I agree, You are the LuckyONE.

$300 is cheap, ... or would you rather replace the Clutch, heads .... or whatever may be wrong.. with that bike.

Good Luck, you will find the right one....

mike

I dont think the was anything wrong with the bike,if was i got no problem fixing but i think i fall victim of shady game of hook and swich.I rather pay double what hi try to scam me to a person who is honest,but theat is just me .I was looking forward to buying this bike and taking to next year national rally in WY.Bummer i guess i ride my Z750.

Good luck to you all,ride safe and have happy holdays,Martin

Walk away no matter what even if the seller reconsiders. The guy has shown his true nature. Anything he may have said about how well maintained his RT was, is now suspect.

Call me weird, but for me the buying experience has to be pleasant. I know their just machines, but I can't bond with a bike or car bought from a jerk.
There may be some bad mojo leftover on the bike, and who needs that?

Last edited:
What year RT was it?

I don't want to point out the seller on this forum,my point was the i got scam buying a bike. If i say the year or color i may hurt others who try to sell the same bike.
Ride safe,Martin

Maybe I'm off here, but my knee jerk reaction is that if one of us puts an ad in the fleamarket, that it should be done with integrity. Maybe the person who went back on their word should have their fleamarket privledges suspended? I live in the world of selling vehicles 5 days a week, and that select 1% of the population that doesn't make good on their word is just not worth knowing at all.

I recently won a Garmin 2610 on eBay. The guy refunded the money the next day. His reason for the refund? "I'm not giving that away for the price you paid (do you know how much it cost blah blah blah)"! There are idiots everywhere. :dunno

I recently won a Garmin 2610 on eBay. The guy refunded the money the next day. His reason for the refund? "I'm not giving that away for the price you paid (do you know how much it cost blah blah blah)"! There are idiots everywhere. :dunno

I hope you reported him to e-bay and posted negative feedback.

That Stinks!

I bought an RT from a guy just about a year ago from an ad on the Internet IBMWR site. Two states away, deal done long distance, drove down and picked it up. As I was driving down to pick it up, I was wondering if I was being scammed by the smoothest scammer alive. Nope, the deal went perfect in every way. It turned out he was just a decent as hell guy and honest as all get out. A real pleasure. The bike has been perfect.

A few months before that I also tried buying an old BMW 2002 car off of Ebay that was a nightmare. Guy seemed on the up an up until he offered to sell it to me as the high bidder even though the minimum wasn't met. He wanted to do it outside of Ebay. That should have set off alarms. :scratch I damned near bought it until after much prying I found out it had title issues. Issues by the way that he did not initially disclose and was not going to discuss until I happened to smell a rat and verbally back him into a corner during a long phone call. Then the guy has the nerve to curse at me on the phone as I tell him no deal. Looking back, the "let's do this outside of Ebay" suggestion should have been a clue that he was dishonest in other ways.

Two completely different experiences buying long distance. I am with the rest of the feedback to you. If this guy is welching on the deal, there could well be other issues with the deal as well. Walk away and try someone else. There are indeed honest sellers on the web. Good luck and I wish a happier ending for you next time.

Kurt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got f#%^.I made arrengments with seller on the phone,agree on the price,got official check from my bank,had install hich on my car($280),rent a trailer($50 deposit)and plan to pick up my new bike on saturday but NO GO.Got E mail from seller trying to bump me to orginal asking price.I wil not point my fingers at him but i think this was NOT COOL!!!! I will not pay higher price then i agree to NO WAY! This deal cost me $330 so far and i got nothing.I may use new hich some day.
I GOT F@#K!

Really sorry you got screwed. Reneging on a deal shows the character of a person. He is weak. Do not lower yourself to his level.

The key to a succesfull buy is to not NEED to make the buy. Keep the transaction in the your (buyers) control. I bet once the seller had you committed he felt that he was now in control. You were right not to buy it. Now the process is in your control.

If you like the cycle and he does change his mind insist that he drop the price another $500.00 to pay for your trouble.

Be nice and prepared to get a better deal or walk. If you really want an R1100RT there are hundreds of them for sale. I trailered one 800 miles to get the deal I wanted.

Consider the money spent on the trailer hitch an investment, and the rest spent as tuition.
+1 for the value of the experience. Beyond that, let the other guy's behavior be a statement about him without joining him in the gutter...

I've sold my last three bikes over the web and bought loads of parts and stuff, and can tell you that if you caught on before you had the bike in hand and he had your money that you are money ahead.

Next, now that you've vented just be patient. There are lots of bikes out there, and the wintertime heebie jeebies are yet to arrive. Plenty of people with cabin fever will therapeutically sell their bikes over the winter. Just have your banker on notice and be ready to go when the deal makes.

IMHO

Back