• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Not Quite Stranded

B

BobMielke

Yup Murphy's Law has struck again. My 2005 R1200RT is 32 months old but has 43,600 miles on her. My starter dropped dead today but not before I made it to my bike mechanic. For the past few weeks starting has been questionable with the bike hesitating when the starter button was depressed. I thought it was the battery so I bought a brand new gel battery. I barely got the bike started after a stop on an errand today so I rode straight to my mechanic at D&S Cycle in Beaverton, OR. These guys do great work at super fair labor rates. They do all the work on the police R1200s. I actually saved myself money by turning them on to Chicago BMW for the starter. They sell new BMW parts for 20% off retail. Saved myself $60 there. I'm just grateful I got the bike to my mechanic before I found myself stranded somewhere. Even though the warranty is for 3 years I don't qualify since I've put 43k on the bike already. It would seem BMW's starters are good for that amount of use. My mechanic says the police bikes, because of their riding habits, don't last that long.

I still think a starter should last longer. Of course it depends on how many start cycles it's gone though.

I've had some trouble with the starter switch . . . . possibly corroded contacts? When my 'starter' started to struggle, I did the same thing you did and buy a new battery, but it still had the problem. I've learned to depress the starter switch from the side rather than head on. I have 80K miles on an '00 RT and use it to commute, so it gets plenty of rain on it . . . . possibly contributing to the switch problem.

Pete

Back