• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What was wrong with the Criusers?

Not so perfect?

Mine is a 2000 -- did not come with quick-disconnects, but I will be installing metal ones. There was a recall for the back rests. However, mine was equipped as a Montana and had no back rest, just the passenger comfort seat. I added the back rest to the comfort seat, and it came with the new parts.

No rust under the tank, or anywhere else for that matter, and this bike is not pampered nor is it a garage queen. It is ridden 10-12K per year in all kinds of weather.

The bike is not completely perfect--what bike is?--but the problems have been rare and fixable without major hassles. I will put it up against any Harley ever built for maintenance costs vs miles ridden . . that is, Harleys that are actually ridden!

I don't remember what your big problems were--it's been a long time since you were on Chromeheads--but obviously you are bitter about the experience. I am bitter about Fords, but a lot of people love them.

The big problem with Chromeheads is the owner and his evil minions. I left the sight for the same reason Jugheads was created. It is run by Bozos. Their social ineptness and ostridge views created a road block to finding actual corrections to BMWs inept Engineering Creations.

As for the bike it is literally rotting away. BMW must have changed their rubber and paint formula around 04, I was told it was to pander to Europes ECO nuts.

The internal gas tank pressure valve was also changed from the original design, and leaked when ever the bike had a 75% to full gas in it, from new. I had to put in an old style filler head and over flow bulb from the junk yard to correct another dangerous situation of leaking gas on the garage floor. The BMW mechanic had no Idea because he didn't know it was changed.
Another problem is the ecu on this year, it seems to have a problem with cold weather starts, it can buck you off if you are not ready for it.

It seemed like the idiot who put this year and model together had come from the Yugo design team. The original suspension on anything other than a straight line is crap. The entire headlight assembly and windshield brackets are made of pot metal. The head lights and the high beams are cheapest brittle plastic I have ever seen. They can't handle normal usage let alone, God help anyone who hits some road damage.
Earlier models had metal lights. The aluminum head light bracket in the garage is broken in 2 pieces in a box. The headlight itself broke in side just tightening the external screw, so it wouldn't flop up and down while driving down the road. The driving light was tossed a long time ago because it shattered around the external case. It looked like broken glass or "Corelle", shattered in shards.

Everything had to come out of my pocket to fix this crap. I after a year and a half owning the Yamaha FJR 1300 never, never had to fix a damn thing on it from incompetent engineering.

I after owning this have to spend more time looking at other motorcycle parts to figure out what will keep this abomination running another day, so I can steer others away, and keep them from making the same mistake I did. It is a magnet you know.

I can keep going on and on all I have to do is look at the receipts I am keeping.

Revenge is best served cold ,Oh yeh and oh so sweet.

What is the problem with the cruiser? Its not a cruiser. Cruisers have V-twin engines, they rumble, they look and sound like a bike from the 1940's. They are retro and they are cool and I love them so.

I liked the R1200C and whatever the heck else they were. No matter who walked by the bike, somebody was gonna say something. It was, ummmm different. Its not a bad bike, it just wasnt a cruiser, nor was it that BMW efficient lean and mean everything you need and nothing you don't bike.

Chrome... I live in Ohio. The chrome on that bike was a disaster up here. Many of the paint schemes..... wow, a cream motorcycle. Cream... I've got a Rockster and felt like a blasphemer until I got home with a rattlecan and a hair dryer...

It was not as fun to ride as a twin cruiser. I rode one, it wasn't fun. It didn't sound cool... Not a cruiser.

I don't think it was a bad bike, I just don't think it was what the BMW crowd wanted. I capitalized on the same issue when I got my new Rockster on the cheap... but it just needed a color change.

Wow.....ya sure got em back really, really good. Too bad you weren't able to share your glowing reviews of the C in this month's BMW ON. After reading your posts I'm convinced the only right thing to do is put my 98 R12C down and sell her for scrap...:cry

CLC Remembered

Today is my first in many months when I don't own a CLC. I swapped it yesterday for an '07 R1200S. I can't tell you how happy I was getting off that bike for the last time. I owned it and rode it for over 3,000 miles. During many of those miles, I wondered if I was going to drop it at the next light or in the next parking lot maneuver (I'm 6'3" and 240 pounds and muscular).

While typical BMW build quality drips from this bike, ergos and handling fall far short of both other BMW offerings and competitive products, I'm sorry to say. Of the three cruisers I have owned, BMW, Harley and Kawasaki, the BMW had - by far - the worst handling characterisitcs, from miserable cornering to topheavy feel. Harley's Electra-Glide offers far better handling in every way and is more comfortable (I know that's subjective) right out of the box.

I am not surprised or unhappy that BMW pulled this model from its ranks, even though I respect and defer to owners who have had happier experiences on this bike.

Yep, that's a big reason I didn't buy the CL and replace my C. Even though I long for the 6 speeds, I hated the change of handling due to the front end modification on the CL. Too sloppy at slower speeds, although it should be more stable at higher speeds with a heavier load (two-up). Since I ride alone, the C meets my needs and is damn nimble, too.

Yep, that's a big reason I didn't buy the CL and replace my C. Even though I long for the 6 speeds, I hated the change of handling due to the front end modification on the CL. Too sloppy at slower speeds, although it should be more stable at higher speeds with a heavier load (two-up). Since I ride alone, the C meets my needs and is damn nimble, too.
Absolutely agreed. I checked my mileage again tonight and see I put 4,000 miles on the CLC, a very fair trial. While folks don't like to hear criticism or comparisons about the bike and will tell you to learn to ride the bike, I'm afraid the handling of this bike is so bad that it overshadows its good points. I have a GS Adventure - big, tall and topheavy - and it is so much better at slow speed handling than the CLC. You are right, the CLC is fine at higher speed and with a passenger but you still need to bring the ship into harbor at the end of the day...and that's when the handling is an issue.

Today is my first in many months when I don't own a CLC. I swapped it yesterday for an '07 R1200S. I can't tell you how happy I was getting off that bike for the last time. I owned it and rode it for over 3,000 miles. During many of those miles, I wondered if I was going to drop it at the next light or in the next parking lot maneuver (I'm 6'3" and 240 pounds and muscular).

I am not surprised or unhappy that BMW pulled this model from its ranks, even though I respect and defer to owners who have had happier experiences on this bike.

I don't understand why you big muscular guys have so much trouble riding the CLC. I'm a weak 5'7" fat old retired guy who has no problem riding and enjoying my CLC (the brown one on page 56 of the current ON). Over the last 40+ years I have had and ridden many other motorcycles that were far harder to ride than the CLC. The early Honda CBs (500, 550 and 750) were tall, top heavy and terribly awkward as were the early Goldwings. I found the Kawasaki KZ900 to be far more difficult to ride than the CLC. MY CLC has almost 33,000 miles on it and repairs have consisted of one headlight bulb and one brake light bulb. All of the chrome looks great and there is not a spot of rust anywhere.

Today is my first in many months when I don't own a CLC. I swapped it yesterday for an '07 R1200S.

that's like falling next to your /2 in 1967 and waking up 40 years later next to a R12S, quite a change:laugh

how ya liking the S????

that's like falling next to your /2 in 1967 and waking up 40 years later next to a R12S, quite a change:laugh
;) Rip fell asleep about 50 miles from where I live. Every time I go by the clove where he layed down, I'll think of your metaphor.
how ya liking the S????
I love both my Ss, the'03 and the '07. Even though there isn't a screw that will interchange between the two, it's amazing the similarity of the rides. Those bikes are so tight, quick and nimble, riding them becomes an addiction.

C Ride is Subjective For Sure

Aside from the dude with the bitter experience with what was obviously a lemon, Most C owners love their bikes and have either adjusted their riding style to the bike or adjusted the bike to their riding style. I did not enjoy the first ride I took on one. It had the mini ape handlebars adjusted upright and pegs that put your feet under the jugs. I rode several other configurations until I found one with wide bars, floorboards w/ a heel/toe shifter, and a pedigree. I know this one has had no problems with 21K miles and only two sets of tires.
The front end is anti-dive and forgiving when approaching turns a tad to fast, and the ABS is outstanding. I find it nimble for a bike its size and smooth riding overall.
I especially like the seat that others complain about. It is the stock seat and fits my skinny butt fine(that's the only part of me that is skinny). The chrome is perfect and the paint has held up well. The frame has no rust and the bike is really easy to maintain.
All motorcycles are subjective and the C is no exception. I find it a strong testimony that the folks who do enjoy their Cs have one of the most civil, helpful and sharing sites on the web. I plan on keeping this bike for the long haul. As the first owner told me, it's practically bullet-proof. He also said that if I didn't buy it (from the last owner) he would.
How's that for customer satisfaction? I'll admit that they are not for everyone, but what vehicle is?

Cheers

New to it but liking it better every day.

My opinion hardly counts since this is only the second BMW bike I have ridden. The first being 1938 R12. But even from engineering point of view alone there can be no comparison with the HD. The R1200C with its good and bad parts is a century ahead of HD. The Harley's are typical American dinosaurs with technology from times gone by.

Since I grew up in Eastern Europe and I am used to working on and living with Russian misconception of cars and bikes I don't mind fixing up a few things on the R1200C.
On the same notion, since I grew up driving sick shift cars only, I can work up and down the gears to make the bike do what I want and don't mind doing it.
But...
One thing I would like to hear more here is, instead of slamming down or praising the bike is, how to make it better.

I am certainly looking forward to tuning it for higher performance and more touring options.

Maybe some one should start a tread about the modifications that can be done on the R1200C

Performance and Touring Options

Petvet -- have you visited or joined Chromeheads.org? More information there than you will ever find anywhere else on performance enhancements, equipping the bike for touring, maintenance, etc. Not to mention it is also a great forum with a lot of good people.

What is wrong with the 'C'

I bought my CLC in '05 with 17k miles. The handlebars needed risers and lowering. I had to add crash bars and change to a taller windshield for better wind protection. The images in the mirrors vibrate at certain RPMs. The handling
at low speed can be ponderous and must be practiced. The brakes with ABS and
servo-assist can be very sensative and grabby. I now have 53K miles on the bike
and still love it. I've added Saeng mirrors, recently replaced the rear floating rotor
for a fixed EBC and a driver's backrest. It's easy to work on, comfortable and fun
to ride long distance. I recently won a slow race held at a biker event for all makes. Not bad for a 145 lb. weakling. The Chromeheads wedsite make working
on the bike a fun challenge. Hope everyone else has just as positive an experience with their bike of choice.:thumb

Back