• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What was wrong with the Criusers?

We don't have to justify anything, only enjoy OUR ride of choice, much like most everyone here already does.

Mine does everything I want it to: carving up the twisties, fast on the sweepers and haulin' down the highway (when needed). Daily commuting, weekend trips and week long adventures, it's all good. My preference is for the backroads, and that is where my bike excels, 43 K and going strong!

It is a cruiser, not a sportbike, and should be evaluated as such. In my opinion, it does everything that BMWs have done historically. Mechanically sound, reliable, leading technology and "unusual" styling. A lot of character and truly a work of art.

Is it for everybody? Not hardly. But then again, neither is a GS. Or RT. Or LT. Or F. Or H-D, Duc, Triumph, or Honamakasuzki. But I like to look at them all and ride a different one sometimes. (Looking forward to the Big GIG tomorrow!)

Will I ever get rid of my C? Probably not, but one should never say never, because you never know what's coming next. I am limited only by the space in my garage and my wife's acceptance of my (now 2) bikes.

Wishing everyone a safe and Happy New Year with many enjoyable miles ahead!

Cool Cruisers

Fastest.

Cruiser.

Ever.

:ha

40599728-L.jpg

I can't say I like the ape hanger bars on the one cruiser, but I hate them on HDs or any other cycle. However, these photos are excellent examples of cool cruisers. I think that most of these styles will be collectibles.

I can't say I like the ape hanger bars on the one cruiser, but I hate them on HDs or any other cycle. However, these photos are excellent examples of cool cruisers. I think that most of these styles will be collectibles.

I will confess to a certain fascination with the Phoenix version of them.

I love the BMW Phoenix and Montauk.

What would you have done to them if you were an engineer at BMW to make them more acceptable to the Cruiser crowd?

How could they evolved to make them compete with the HDs & VTXs?

Is there any chance that BMW will again pick up a cruiser line.

For the record, I despise HD's of all types and cruisers in general EXCEPT, the BMW R1200C is a beautiful bike. I've been on the lookout for a perfect example that I don't have to ship across country.

The styling is beautiful, it's safer than a HD (telever, ABS, etc.), and the brand is for riders rather than for the "lifestyle" crowd. I see the BMW for persons like myself and most others on here: We go our own way and don't follow the crowd or care what others think.

It's hard to say if BMW will bring a cruiser back, but I agree, they will be classics.

Regards,

Randy Kasal

Differences?

I know what the CLCs were, but can someone please tell me the differences between the Phoenix and the Montauk? Where there other models of the R1200C series than these?

Regards,

Randy Kasal

I know what the CLCs were, but can someone please tell me the differences between the Phoenix and the Montauk? Where there other models of the R1200C series than these?

Regards,

Randy Kasal

The Phoenix had BBS wheels, a yellow/black paint job and a sort of low, beach bar handlebar setup.

I generally don't care for the styling of the cruisers (personal taste, don't get huffy), but the Phoenix was kind of cool looking.

2002r1200cphoenix.jpg

Twice

Two times I saw this come up for sale. Both times it broke my heart to turn away.

Attachments

• IMG_0006[1].jpg
    IMG_0006[1].jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 150
Among non-cruiser riders I may (once again) be odd man out. I test rode a Cruiser when they first came out, and rode the CLC that MOA had as a press bike one year at the Open House. In both cases I was riding around urban areas. I wasn't canyon carving by any means. But I found them to be very workmanlike motorcycles.

But, I couldn't get used to the riding position. The feet forward position is not as extreme as some, but I still didn't like it. I didn't like the bar position either. So for me it was all ergonomics - not performance - that led me to decide it wasn't the bike for me.

Most of that stuff can be changed and I think the CLC could be made into a good touring bike for me - but I don't have the desire to do that much rearranging of things.

Regards,

Randy Kasal

The diiffences are minor. The Montauk has different paint colors, a larger front wheel, and a Tachometer.

...They will not accept the fact that BMW has turned its back and dumped the whole Cruiser line.
The whole group is still living in their dungeon and dragon world, unable to realize the world has passed them by.
I sense the wrath of the Airheads will arrive any minute, to be joined by the K75xx owners.

The C came in colors (options for bodywork and also driveline, frame and fork finishes) and varying accessories, sort of like the different model names for light pickup trucks. The Classic (basic) C, the Montana, the Phoenix (Independent in Europe), the Euro (Avantgarde in Europe), the Stiletto are all C bikes, all parts are interchangeable.

The CL(C) is the largest framed, more plastic, touring bike (dual heated seats, running boards, lots of luggage). I can't think of any C accessories that fit this bike.

The Montauk has the CL front end (wider forks, longer telelever and more trail) but the C rear frame. The C rear end accessories (seats, luggage) fit this bike. The bars on the Montauk are like the Phoenix/Euro/Stiletto C bars - fat and low.

Spec: C models
wheelbase inches 65.0
ground clearance inches 6.8
steering angle degrees 60.5
trail inches 3.4
electrical system 700 w

Spec: CL/Montauk
wheelbase inches 64.6
ground clearance inches 6.2
steering angle degrees 56.5
trail inches 7.2
electrical system 840 w

I think we could use a "build your own Cruiser" kit. I'll take the 6-speed from the CL, the twin-spark engine from the newer year runs, and the rest of the C parts.

What was wrong with the Cruisers?

What was wrong with the Cruisers?

I have a 2001 R1200C - Phoenix.

Maybe it's the rock-hard leather seat. I took care of that with an Air-Hawk and a sheep skin cover.

Maybe it's under-powered. I had no problem cruising the interstates at 80-85 mph in AZ and NM. In fact, that's the sweet spot for this engine. I never had an issue passing 18 wheelers at 95 mph. I haven't gone triple digits, yet.

Maybe it's the suspension. On the twisties, I ride at 10-20 mph above the posted speed limits in PCH1 - CA, Hwy. 64 - NM and Hwy.14 - AR. I haven't scraped the pegs. I'm guessing that the bike is more capable than what my skill sets would allow.

Maybe it's the styling. This bike is great conversation starter with different people and at the end of those conversations, more often than not, I get a compliment on the bike.

We haven't put very many miles on our C yet, but I enjoy riding it.

Two things I don't like:

1) The fancy key. Sure its purdy, just like the bike, but with out an opening on the top for a key fob or even a piece of string, it gets lost in your pocket.

2) The fold down back rest. I like the backrest, but most of the vibration from the bike can be felt through it.

Other than those two minor things, I love the bike. It gets looks where ever we take it, fuel mileage is OK (if I want better mileage, I'll ride a smaller bike). It has enough power for me. Its one of the few stock seats that is comfy as is. Handles just fine.

Oh well, to each his own. I'm happy with it, and that's all that matters to me.

1998 Cruiser: 31,000+ miles and still going strong

This thing is either for you or not (especially with regards to aesthetics.) It is neither powerful nor agile enough for many folks. It is powerful enough and agile enough for its intended purpose: just cruising along and enjoying the view and freedom only a motorcycle can afford. It is alos flexible enough a design to make it a decent tourer. Most of all, it posseses the most important trait of all: it is reliable.

In the next year or two I will be putting my baby to rest. It has been a good friend so I will not trade it in for the R1200RT I will be purchasing. It will be stored for the longterm, and who knows, maybe on day again it will find its way to Cape Bretton or Osh Kosh.

Dragon Yes, Dungeon No

Not sure about the Dungeon part, but my ugly bike and I have been in the Dragon world. It's a 2004 R1200C Classic and the photo is courtesy of Killboy.com. If I ever find out what's wrong with this bike, I'll be sure to let you know.

Attachments

• Dragon 4.JPG
    Dragon 4.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 164
Give me a break!

I wish you chromehead guys would quit bragging about our bikes, the more unappreciated they are the less I will have to pay for a used "new" one to replace mine in a few years! I have 36k on my 03 CLC now, ride it YEAR ROUND , daily to work. Been on a couple of 2K mi vacations. Most folks in the BMW community have been influenced by bad press on our bikes. ironically most poke fun at the HD crowd for playing follow the leader with their decision on which bike to like and therefore buy, while the BMW crowd does the same thing. Not all riders are cut out for the luxury and accessories of the CLC, just as all of us cant put our feet on the ground on a R12GSA. Many comments on here I have noticed are heresay. If you dont like the CLC just say so. No one will be offended.

Interesting Discussions!

Just sitting here between Christmas and New Year's "cruisin" the MOA website and came upon this thread. I have to admit I, I've enjoyed reading all the comments about the C/CLC line.

I've had my 03 CLC almost 4 years now. At the time, I was trying to decide between the CLC and, believe it or not, a RT! As we have seen from all the previous post, most decisions around motorcycles are personal. And many purchase decisions involve a personal compromise. For me, the 1150 RT, did not have want I wanted more of: CD vs. cassette tape, cruise control vs. nothing (except aftermarket), lower seat vs. stretching to reach the ground. After buying the CLC, I was a bit disappointed in the power...only because I spent to much time listening to the "hp" crowd. Like most boxer engines of any model, they take time to break-in. Mine was around 15K when things seem to come together (in my mind, anyway). I live in CO, so I'm one of those who appreciate the low RPM/high torque that the C/CLC lines offers. After 31K miles, I'm satisfied with my decision.

As to why BMW did not continue with the cruiser line, I think it has to do with the nature of the cruiser market. Every year, manufacturers are increasing bore and stroke. It's a never-ending race on engine displacement. BMW does not play with annual changes very well...prefering to keep an engine platform longer and insure reliability...a BMW virtue regardless of model line. Besides, how wide would a C/CLC be if you had a 4 inch stroke?? If you think back to 98 when the C was launched, it's 60 HP was about the same as any H-D model.

Because BMW decided they were not willing to compromise how they go to market, the cruiser line did not compete well with the cruiser crowd in the long run. I don't believe it is (was) their intention to get a RT rider, for example, to switch to a cruiser....that's not gaining market share. At the time, they were into conquest sales....from the H-D and H-D wannabes.

only36K?

I wish you chromehead guys would quit bragging about our bikes, the more unappreciated they are the less I will have to pay for a used "new" one to replace mine in a few years! I have 36k on my 03 CLC now. . .

At only 36K you shouldn't have to worry about replacing for -- oh say -- another 200K and if you only have 36 on an '03 that's 9K per year. So, 200 / 9 is a whole bunch more years before you will HAVE to replace it (wanting to is a whole 'nuther discussion :laugh ). Me, I may add another classic to the stable if the SO will get enough miles and enough desire to graduate to a larger bike. But if she doesn't, I am perfectly happy taking her on the back of either of mine any time she wants and for just about any distance.

I liked my cruiser, but...

My '00 CA was my first BMW. The more I rode it the more I loved the design features and the overall quality compared to my Yamahas and Hondas. BUT, I started using it for my 70 mile daily commute on California freeways and dissatisfaction set in. The wind buffeting at freeway speeds with the OEM windshield was serious. Power was marginal. Gas mileage dropped off significantly. I couldn't see any clear images in the rear view mirrors because of vibration.

To top it off, I would spend almost every Saturday cleaning and polishing the chrome. About the time I finished, the sun was setting!

So I bought an '05 RT and all of the problems I mentioned above disappeared instantly.

Back