• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1200S cost of ownership

jay.s.levine

I'm shopping for a used K1200S and there are lots of of 2005, 2006 and 2007s out there.

Can I get some feedback on what to expect with respect to regular maintenance costs? I put on 15K to 20k miles per year, and the used bikes I'm looking at all have over 10K miles them already. Just want to know what post acquisition costs to factor into my bargaining.

Thanks for the help!

Jay

Jay,

I own a 05 k12s, so I can give you some insights.

1) Oil changes are easy, so do your own to save a few bucks.
2) Unless you are an experienced mechanic, not much else on the engine and transmission can be serviced by the owner (think of BMW cars).
3) The 18,000 mi service interval is the expensive one, when spark plugs are replaced and valves are checked/adjusted.
4) ABS maintenance interval is 4 years, so that isn't a big worry.
5) Replacing the ESA shock absorbers is reported to be ~$3000, though I don't think there is much solid data regarding when (mileage/years) before they need to be replaced.

One piece of advice. Buy one that is still under warranty. I'm guessing that many of the 05s coming onto the market are from buyers nervous about paying for repairs. If not under warranty, the work performed on my bike would have cost me several thousand dollars.

I have a .pdf of the maintenance schedule for the K12 series bike. PM me if you would like a copy.

good luck,

peterh

Back