• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

latest project: "Old Cro" the R-evolution

V

VANZEN

The design work is done (after years of research, sourcing parts, and saving funds) and the actualization of my design obsession has finally begun. First order of business: a track-worthy chassis. Like a new father, I'm anxious to share pictures of the new-born, and entertain thoughts and comments.

Progress so far:

vanzen3rdrightsideSAneck.jpg

design: vanzen
frame fabrication: Randy Illg & FRAMECRAFTERS

stay tuned for further development..

more pics at ROCKERBOXER:http://www.rockerboxer.com/page/page/5324463.htm

Last edited:
back again:

A composite thumb-nail of my blueprint drawings:

X-FRAMEWEBOLDCROdev.jpg

kbasa: I could load a disk with development sketches that plot the course of this result !

Another innocent Airhead bites the dust.

Makes the remaining intact ones more valuable, I suppose.

bites what ?

Another innocent Airhead bites the dust.

Makes the remaining intact ones more valuable, I suppose.

actually, the R80GS frame was a salvage.
as are MOST parts used in this project ÔÇô recycled!

... and don't think that the R68 sitting in my living room is anything but bone-stock! LOL.

another K100, R100GS, & R100R bite the dust

What do you have in mind for the front suspension?

a Marzocchi set salvaged from a K100, of course.
wheels will be tubeless BMW hubs e-bay-salvaged from a GS and an R100R... (this IS fun!) laced to more appropriately sized rims. the rear hub is from a Paralever ekwipt GS and will be machined to fit the Mono final drive.

Interesting about the salvaged frame.

So with a new frame being made out of the old one, will you get to title it as a new bike? That would be pretty cool- you could (in certain states) assign a VIN of your own creation, and legally name the make/model whatever you wanted to.

You could have a lot of fun with that.

note marking on swing arm:

note marking on swing arm, "92 R100RS":

vanzentransverseuppertrans.jpg

one more bite for the R-evolution.

resulting geometry:
"I assembled the front end and wheels. The steering head angle is 26.5 degrees with the bike sitting on the bare wheels and the forks slid up in the triple trees 1 inch. With tires it should be about the same or slightly less (26 deg). The trail figures out to 3.96" at 27 deg and 3.69 inches at 26 deg so we are right in the ball park." – Randy Illg

On matching wheel centerline and frame centerline – relating to why BMWs like to drift to the right, and this one won't:
"The engine sits about 1degree offset from true centerline (it points slightly to the left when looking down). This brings the thrust lines of the engine in line with the driveshaft centerline. The rear wheel is on centerline and the swing arm must be all the way to the right. It all works with no binding." – Randy

Last edited:
Do you ever have positive input?

I wouldn't have done it myself, but :bikes

This is going to be a cool thread to watch.

No kidding, crazydrumerdude. Mein Gott!

On the reals, that's a fantastic re-cycling (Har! I yam FUNNY! Har!) of old technology. I can't wait to see more!

Now maybe he could tag-team with floridaroadkill..

good question

Have you tried getting the motor and gearbox out since buiding the frame?

simple answer: No...
The eng/trans won't need to come out until the basic main-frame fabrication is complete. What you don't see yet, and what happens next, is that the right lower rail (yes, just one) will be 'cut out' and made to be removeable to allow that task.

Kent knows his airhead stuff so don't dismiss him too lightly.

He's also (for better or worse) a purist when it comes to all things airhead...something that isn't always appreciated when you are in the midst of hotrodding something, but will be invaluble 10 years down the road when you decide to do a period correct restoration of a "classic" 1984 R100RS.

Steve

Kent knows his airhead stuff so don't dismiss him too lightly.

He's also (for better or worse) a purist when it comes to all things airhead...something that isn't always appreciated when you are in the midst of hotrodding something, but will be invaluble 10 years down the road when you decide to do a period correct restoration of a "classic" 1984 R100RS.

Steve

Not dismissing your man Kent, just a general "lighten up, Francis".

I've had my wars with the vintage Triumph crowd over 'chopping' everything is sight, so I completely understand the gentleman's point....just don't agree with the delivery. (not this one particularly, but the previous 99 as a whole) :)

hey, Veg:

Interesting about the salvaged frame.

So with a new frame being made out of the old one, will you get to title it as a new bike? That would be pretty cool- you could (in certain states) assign a VIN of your own creation, and legally name the make/model whatever you wanted to.

You could have a lot of fun with that.

you know, I am not familiar with the specifics of the law in Michigan regarding "assembler's titles".
Guess it's time to find out ...

fwiw- i like the project. stiff frame = mo' bettah handling- and one of the things that airheads lacked was a suitably stiff frame.
but then, i like things like this too....
rogersmotosport.jpg

rogers2.jpg

rogers1.jpg

rogersmsport2.jpg

I believe Roger's motto is "nothing is sacred".

Back