Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: BMW Synthetic vs. Mobil 1 Oil

Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by revkev View Post
    I pay them to put the oil in because I don't like oil on my hands.
    I don't like it either. Latex gloves.

Some people just like to maintain their own bike(s) for the things they can do.
    Mike White
    MOA Life Time Member #57882
    '13 K1300S "30 Years", '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '97 Ducati 916, '95 Ducati 900SS CR. Gone, but not forgotten, '75 R90S

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    You know, of course, that BMW North America's oil is Golden Spectro, a company that specializes in motorcycle oil. This oil is not sold in Europe by BMW.

It shows some effort on BMWNA's part to do the right thing.

Worldwide, BMW is closely associated with Castrol and even in car dealerships in the USA stocks German Castrol 10W-60 for M engines.

It rather surprises me there isn't a German Castrol solution for BMW motorcycles available, but it could be that Golden Spectro is cheaper, which is seemingly always important to guilt-ridden motorcyclists.

This is good data, but the best data has yet to emerge in this thread: that is, which BMW motorcycle models require off-normal motor oil. It's probably Airheads these days and some K-bikes with some sort of starter clutch requirement I don't understand. Otherwise, I doubt it's Oilheads/Hexheads and maybe not new K-bikes, either, especially if they have cat converters (which may be as expensive as valve trains). F-bike singles strangely are recommended dino over synthetic and I have no idea about F-bike twins.

Still waiting for good information.

But, as we all know, good information is scarce from BMW and lots of Internet legend rushes in to fill the void.
    Hah! I knew it! I've been using Castrol GTX in my machines since 1970 and have never had an oil related problem in any of them, got 175K on the airhead and 60K on the LT (my current machines).
    but then I also use Castrol Air in my tires,
    Castrol water and anti-freeze in the LT,
    I live in a Castrol house
    and eat only Castrol food stuffs (which I buy at the......

you guessed it, Castrol Market)....

I live in a Castrol house in a town built by Castrol
    and I work for Castrol and my bosses last name is.......

are ready for this?.......

Carter.... (til he got fired for not changing his name)....

some people say I'm a little fanatical about Castrol,

can't understand why myself.....

RM

Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    I've been using Castrol GTX in my machines since 1970 and have never had an oil related problem in any of them . . . some people say I'm a little fanatical about Castrol
    So, do you know who makes the basestock oil (the part before the additives are put in) in your beloved Castrol GTX?
    Mike White
    '13 K1300S "30 Years", '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '97 Ducati 916, '95 Ducati 900SS CR. Gone, but not forgotten, '75 R90S

BUDDINGGEEZER

Castrol Specs

Granted, this is not yer-basic-automobile-Castrol-oil, but it covers all the specs...

Castrol Act Evo XTra
    Features:

Premium 4stroke motorcycle engine oil
    SAE 10W30, 10W40, 20W40, and 20W50 grades
    Exceeds API SG, JASO MA2

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7040549

Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddingGeezer View Post
    The underlying issue behind the SG/SH/SJ/SM discussion is apparently the ZDDP content of the oil. Not all SJ/SM oils have 800 ppm ZDDP contents. Although clearly it would be "safer" from a BMW "after-the-warranty" warranty standpoint to just always put BMW oil in our BMW motorcycles, on the other hand if we always followed BMW's guidance to the letter we would never lube the splines on BMW motorycles, would change the engine oil in BMW cars about every 15,000 miles or so, and would never change the manual transmission or differential gear oil in BMW cars at all.
    Mike White

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by BeemerMike View Post
    So, do you know who makes the basestock oil (the part before the additives are put in) in your beloved Castrol GTX?
    well first off I was mostly just kidding around (in case you couldn't tell) and as to who makes the base oil, should I care? (assuming its not made by baby killers or something) I'm quite sure that engine oil is like gas, the same product is sold under any number of brand names. Oh, and I don't always use Castrol since its not always available in some of the more rural locations I often find myself in; and its not my "beloved" either, that's reserved for my SO!

RM

rocketman
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddingGeezer View Post
    Gee, my 30 year old bike isn't covered for warranty work cause I use Castrol? I'm devastated!

RM

I'm quite sure BMW would never use a product that would be harmful to the engines on any of their machines they sell. The thing is today so many products are really so well reifned in research and development that they may even be over engineered.

We buy these BMW motorcycles for many reasons I, for one have bought 2 of them so far because I don't want to have to work on them. I want to ride my machine just like it is any other form of transportation. I don't like to polish or wax very much, I just want to ride. I can appreciate the riders who treat their machines like a street rod all polished and pretty but, I still want to ride in all weather.

I got the oil/filter thing going before because of how I look at the whole subject. BMW has built a trmendous machine here that is capable of taking alot of abuse and day to day use. We live in a time where evrything has been invented to make our lives easier and most everything in this arena has been engineered very well. When it comes to any product be it peanut butter or even our beloved oil, some makes it and packages it. We all work for someone and many of us have or do work for a company that packages one item in many packages for multiple customers that will be sold at different prices although it's the same. Oil is no exception to that rule and IF we had someone who works for Spectro that stands next to the filling machine telling us that absolutely no other oil is packaged in the BMW bottles but BMW then they have something. But I'm still not convinced it requires such special attention as good as some oil products are today to use BMW only oil.

As I've said before I work in heavy industry and we have abused the $&it out of oil for years and it makes me have faith that the oils today are so good there isn't much reason to pay $11-12 a quart for it. I don't do it for my truck and car so why would I do it for my BMW machine?

BUDDINGGEEZER
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketman View Post
    Gee, my 30 year old bike isn't covered for warranty work cause I use Castrol? I'm devastated!

RM
    Everyone wants to be a comedian. I was only giving actual info about the oil requirements to those who would like to know. I don't give a crap what kind of oil you run.

Ralph Sims