• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R 1200 RT Final Drive

zigzag

:dance Have not owned a BMW for several years and recently purchased a new 07 RT. Really like the bike and looking forward to riding it a lot. I have seen a lot of comments on sites about the final drives on these bikes and was wondering has anyone had problems or is it a lot of I heard it could happen stuff? The BMW's I've owned in past years were nothing but reliable bikes that I enjoyed , hoping this one will be the same! Thanks for any comments

Bought my '07 RT a year ago. 14k miles later, she's still going. Not an ounce of problems.

Yeah, it's not a lot of miles, but it's a new annual record for me!

Check the November edition of the Owner's News, on page 26 the benchwrenching section. Provides a good update on the final drive issue. I seem to remember it implies the problem is affecting the GS to a greater degree than the RT. Also it appears the problem is first a fluid leak that leads to mechanical failure. Check the article for yourdelf and check for leaks often.

Bought my '07 RT a year ago. 14k miles later, she's still going. Not an ounce of problems.

Yeah, it's not a lot of miles, but it's a new annual record for me!

Have had my R1200RT for two years now, and after 22,000+ miles - no problems; just smooth running.

And Hey - 14k miles in the midwest in one year IS a lot of riding, man - Congrats!

2 years, nearly 19,000 miles. Only problems have been the faulty oil level warning common to '05 & early '06 models (fixed under waranty), a flat tire and, currently, weather unsuitable for riding. Some design issues include the seat (easily remedied by a number of after market suppliers), the anemic single horn included after 1/06, the pessimistic gas gauge/OBC, and the obsessive desire to purchase any and all accessories that can possibly be attached to the bike!
Enjoy your new ride.
Tom

RT Final Drive

:dance Thanks for the info everyone I appreciate it. Did go back and read the Nov. issue and as you said just keep an eye out for leaks should be fine. Anyway Merry Christmas and a Happy Safe New Year to you all!!

:dance Thanks for the info everyone I appreciate it. Did go back and read the Nov. issue and as you said just keep an eye out for leaks should be fine. Anyway Merry Christmas and a Happy Safe New Year to you all!!

Don't forget to check the alloy adapter that is an interference fit to the splined axle tube. Your rear wheel and brake rotor are attached to this adapter. It can and has loosened on the tube causing a wobbly rear wheel that is held on by a safety c-clip. Mine failed at 16000 miles on the 05 R12ST. Other "hex" models have also failed. You will not see an oil leak but may see black dust from the adapter after washing the area. Some who have had this failure, noticed a burning smell like a slipping clutch prior to the failure.

Check you rear wheel by grasping it at 12:00 and 6:00 and moving it side to side (not in the direction of travel). Look for wobble in excess of 1 mm when cold. I now check mine every time I check tire pressure...

I have close to 20,000 miles on my '07 R1200RT -- No problems at all.

final drive

I don't think there is a real problem here. I have an 07RT with 31,000 miles and zero problems. None, nada, with anything. Just ride and enjoy.

05 Rt

I have something close to 19k on it and have had a few issues but none with the final drive... I have had the brake control unit fail and the Electronic suspension require a reset but it hasn't stopped being fun yet...

I don't think there is a real problem here. I have an 07RT with 31,000 miles and zero problems. None, nada, with anything. Just ride and enjoy.

final drive:

You mean that it's probably no more than a 5% FD failure? 'Cause mine was a REAL failure, there have been other real failures, and I'm betting there will be more real failures...

Of course I didn't discuss the 1st (covered under warranty) rattling mirror glass or the 2nd now starting to rattle mirror. Oh yeah I forgot the just discovered flaking powder coating on the front timing cover. Better yet BMW not bothering to return my calls about their approach to repairing my drive.

The bike is a great one to ride though...

Back