• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Handle bars Risers

coyotebmw

I am looking at moving my bars back and up to create a more comfortable riding position. I have been on the F800Riders.org site and found the "SW-MOTECH top clamp" system. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any recommendations out there?

Risers

The best on my GS and ST. The ROXspeedfx.com look them up $74 !!!! They are great and at the cost !! Joe:laugh :laugh

I put them on my 2005 R1200rt before I went to Alaska last summer. They seemed to make the ride more comfortable, not stretched out as much.

I am looking at moving my bars back and up to create a more comfortable riding position. I have been on the F800Riders.org site and found the "SW-MOTECH top clamp" system. Does anyone have any experience with these? Any recommendations out there?
If you put them on, let us know how they are for you. I may do that for my f800st, but will wait awhile before I do so (at least the 600 mile first service...ha ha). I think my bike might be okay, but haven't had a chance to take a long ride yet because of the weather and I am always interested in what others think of comfort modifications. :)

Delay on putting them on

I did purchase the "SW-MOTECH top clamp", but when I went to put them on realized that having ABS brakes required some control cable changes. I have delayed this activity until I can work with a shop to have it done right. I am still looking forward to installing and using them, but need to work out the cable issues first.

FYI, Bar backs don't work on the 08 F800ST's unless someone can figure out how to lengthen the brake line. :whistle

That is what I am finding

It seems that yes there is a problem with the cable lengths, especially if you have ABS. I have a shop that does a lot of work for me on my BMW's and they said they can get new cables made. Seems BMW really doesn't give you a whole lot of extra cable, or in the case of the ABS, extra tubing length to set back the handle bars.

Have bar risers on my Funduro but not my CS. The bar risers make the bike a lot more comfortable and so I'll be adding them to the CS. I think new cables will have to be made as I have ABS on the CS and it looks like there's not much allowance in the cables to add height.

Really, I can't say enough good things about the risers on the Funduro. It makes a lot of difference in comfort.

Instead of bar backs I put a set of R1150R bars on my F800ST. A bit more rise and pullback than the risers, without (IMHO) the Rube Goldberg appearance. My dealer specked a lengthened Spiegler front brake line for me, and the whole setup is indistinguishable from factory issue.

FYI, Bar backs don't work on the 08 F800ST's unless someone can figure out how to lengthen the brake line. :whistle

Nope. Look at the link with instructions I posted in the message prior to your response. I'm happily buzzing along with risers and stock lines with no issues.

-A

It seems that yes there is a problem with the cable lengths, especially if you have ABS. I have a shop that does a lot of work for me on my BMW's and they said they can get new cables made. Seems BMW really doesn't give you a whole lot of extra cable, or in the case of the ABS, extra tubing length to set back the handle bars.

Again, unnecessary. My bike has ABS. Follow the link I posted for rerouting instructions.

-A

Go them on

Aether's process worked.

I had a shop do it and it went very smooth, except they missed the tie wrap part on the Clutch cable. Had a very "tight" clutch for a while until we figured out that you need to tie wrap the clutch cable to keep it from slipping up on the ignition assembly.

I has made a big difference already. The reason I needed set the bars back was an tendonist problem in my right elbow and now there is no pain when I ride.

Aether, thank you.

I believe that's what is on my '99 F650. Last night, I put on hand guards and the heated grip kit and there was plenty of room for the wiring.

My F650CS has ABS but no risers. I like the F650's risers so much that I'm going to put them on the CS and yes, it looks like I'll have to change the brake lines for the risers.

I just came in from installing the SW-Motech risers on my 07 800 ST.

It took about half an hour, including the time it took to find all of the proper tools.

I moved the brake line to the back of the fork and it fit almost perfectly.

The electrical wiring run on the right side is tight, but it fits.

I've got to get it on the road to tell if the handles and the bar is in the right position, but that's a minor issue.

One positive in the whole thing is that the mirrors seem to be less covered by my arms.

Attachments

• Ventura 001.jpg
    Ventura 001.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
This is from another perspective.

Attachments

• Ventura 006.jpg
    Ventura 006.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 124
Handle bars riser

Aether, just looking at the bike, it seems like the brake lever would have to be removed. The wire coming out of the lever assembly is very short. lIs this the case?

Thanks
Jerry

SW-Motech risers

I just had the risers installed on my 03 F650CS, no ABS. They are great. Makes a world of difference ergonomically speaking. Well worth the cost, delivery was fast and the silver matches the bike perfectly. I'm pleased.

Back