• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Loading a Kendon

tvtommy

Is it really a two person job?

BTW....so I dont get "trailer flame" when its below 20 degrees in Chicago, and I wanna ride someplace nice.....the bike is going on the trailer .

T

BTW....so I dont get "trailer flame" when its below 20 degrees in Chicago, and I wanna ride someplace nice.....the bike is going on the trailer .

T

If you have two ramps - one for the bike to roll on and one for you to walk on, then one person can do it - usually. If the ramp the bike is on is securely attached to (not just on) the trailer you can power the bike up the ramp with little need to push.

That said - I will always choose to have a second person on the opposite side of the bike as a safety against it falling away from me if that is at all possible.

The need for the second or third persons is directly proportional to how badly you wish to make sure you don't drop the bike off the ramp. Your bike! Your choice!

Last edited:

T

Two persons is always more secure.

If you're loading the dual bike trailer using the RH side or the solo trailer where you a place to put down the kick stand. you can load it and tie it down pretty easily by your self (make sure the trailer is hitched to something). If you have one of the newer Kendons with the wheel chock, either side would seem to be doable.

The kendon is low enough to the ground that I haven't needed an additional ramp to walk up.

If you're loading the dual trailer on the LH side you'll most likely need someone to help with the tie down process.

T

Greetings,

I have a Kendon Dual Rail Trailer.

I can easily load the GS Adventure or the RTP on the trailer solo. I do need to use the engine to get the bike up the ramp, but the deck of the trailer is low enough that it is a very easy step. I can easily load the /5 or a F650 alone without the motor.

Once the bike is on the trailer there is a front wheel chock that will hold the bike while you strap it down.

Greetings,

I have a Kendon Dual Rail Trailer.

I can easily load the GS Adventure or the RTP on the trailer solo. I do need to use the engine to get the bike up the ramp, but the deck of the trailer is low enough that it is a very easy step. I can easily load the /5 or a F650 alone without the motor.

Once the bike is on the trailer there is a front wheel chock that will hold the bike while you strap it down.

Let the record show that I am neither as big, nor as young as Rob is! :)

When I first saw the title of your post, I wondered if it was a revolver or a semi-auto.

I see it is a trailer :)

Let the record show that I am neither as big, nor as young as Rob is! :)
Same here. I once tried to unload an R1200CLC by myself. It fell, doing about $800 damage, and took 4 hefty guys to lift it and roll it off the trailer. I always look for at least one extra set of hands.

Same here. I once tried to unload an R1200CLC by myself. It fell, doing about $800 damage, and took 4 hefty guys to lift it and roll it off the trailer. I always look for at least one extra set of hands.

Before I got the Kendon I had a F350 which I used to tow the YB Toy Box.

I had a special setup at my house where I could go "off road" with the truck and back it around the embankment so the tailgate was almost level with the drive way which made for very safe and easy loading.

The issue with this method was that the bed of the truck would be at a down angle, easy for loading but getting a bike out without calling my boys to help was impossible.

One day I got home with my 1150 GS in the bed of the truck and decided I didn't need any help unloading so I parked the truck in the driveway and got out the ramp and my aluminum stool / bike stand to use as a step.

I had done this many times before so confidence was high. As I was walking the bike down the ramp I went to step off the stand and my ankle turned under.

The bike came down on top of me, coming to rest with the left jug about an inch away from my shin. If it was not a boxer I would have been seriously injured.

I have since releived myself of the F350 as a daily driver and thanks to a fellow MOA member was able to purchase the Kendon used at a great price.

As the step height to the deck of the Kendon is only 16" or so I find it pretty easy to step up as I load the bike using what I described above. Of course YMMV.

I would suggest that if it is important to you to be able to load and unload yourself that you practice a few times with a few friends around to help spot you. Take care to gage your comfort, if you find yourself getting anxious it is better to stop and find help than to be a stubborn RPB and bust yourself up. While I was lucky I didn't get my shin broken, I still was off the bike for a month, had to undergo tough physical therapy and when I was riding again it was in a pair of MX boots for the rest of the season.

One thing I learned at sea was technique tumps strength every time.

Kendon single trailer

I have a Kendon single trailer and I load and unload my '04 K1200 RS by myself. I am always extremely careful as I find it to be a risky process that requires attention. If I can get a second person, great, but most of the time I do it by myself. I have developed a technique that helps me a lot.

1. I take off the seat so I sit lower and keep my feet on the groung/trailer floor longer. THIS IS A BIG HELP
2. I alway look to place the trailer in a place that places the trailer floor close to the level the bike is on so I can ride onto the trailer without going uphill. At a motel, I line it up with the sidewalk so I ride the bike from the sidewalk onto the ramp onto the trailer.
3. Unloading the bike is much easier than loading it.
4. I always use engine power to load it, I ride it up the ramp.

Kendon sells a winch to pull the bike up the ramp. I ordered one when I ordered the trailer. It was on back order. I developed the techniques above and I cancelled the winch. The winch would still require two people, but I figured my wife could operate the winch button.

BTW, I am 5' 10" and 170 lbs and consider myself a weakling, specially when it comes to the heft of my K bike. I dropped it once and flat out could not pick it up, using the back into it and push up with the legs technique.

Ron

Back