• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

heated vest/jacket liners

MCMXCIVRS

More toys than space
I'm thinking about getting a heated vest to help on those cold mornings around here. I would prefer to get one with sleeves so that I could use it in place of the liner in my First Gear jacket.

What I would like is some input on the available brands. I have looked at the Gerbings and the Widder, I have not found any others so far that have sleeves.

What type are you using and how do you like it? What type of control is best?:confused:

I can't live without my lined Gerbings jacket and thermostat.

I also have the pants and socks.

Using a mock turtle t-shirt under the gerbing and a Darien over I can go form 18 - 55 degrees on a K11LT which is a hot bike. On the F650 it is a good combo up to 60 degress.

No experience with Widder.

fish said:
Gerbing. Don't spend the money twice if you don't have to.

What he said.

Warm is good. Rob swears by the Heattroller, as do a bunch of folks I know.

:bliss

I have a Widder vest and a Gerbings thin jacket liner. The Widder never leaves the closet and the Gerbings is used all the time.

Ya gotta use the heatroller.

Quick tip.......wear very thin long sleeves shirts under the Gerbings. If ya don't you can burn yourself....Don't ask how I know:eek

I got the BMW electric vest

I never ride below 40 deg. It's difficult on a naked bike. That said the BMW electric vest does me just fine with my 'stich Roadcrafter. It's just enough to keep the core warm when I start early or ride after dark. It's cheap, there are plenty of used one's being sold by the Gerbing folks and you don't need a controller.

I admit the Gerbing is better and has all kinds of options for those really cold rides. But, the BMW electric vest is a good inexpensive starter vest. I think the Widder is comparable.

MarkF
:cool:

Thanks for the input everyone.

I may have to make a trip south of the border to get a set of Gerbings. I checked with the only dealer I could find up here and they are charging a small fortune for them. I looked at the online purchasing from Gerbings also, but my past experiences at having goods shipped through Canada customs suggests that it would be not much less than the dealers price. I could make a trip to the US and save myself a couple hundred bucks on the jacket. That way I could bring them home duty free as they would be less than the limit.

Damn, just what I needed, another excuse to go riding.

Gerbings. I have used the thin jacket liner with heated sleeves and collar for 6 years now and it has been just great. Getting warm is what it's all about, and this does the trick very well! Getting warm isn't something you want to 'grow' into! :p

Ya gotta use the heatroller.

Quick tip.......wear very thin long sleeves shirts under the Gerbings. If ya don't you can burn yourself....Don't ask how I know:eek [/QUOTE]

I just use the on-off switch, works fine with me. And I just wear a short sleeved tee shirt under my Gerbings, never felt I was going to get burned but I wondered about riding in heavy rain if I was going to get zapped:doh .
Did a lot of checkin out heated vests etc. before I bought my Gerbings, after 6 mo. I could'nt be happier :newbie

I've used a Widder Vest since they first hit the market (on my third). Clothing is a very personal thing so I would suggest that you go try some of the different makes on. Both Widder and Gerbing make a quality product and I would highly recommend buying your heated choice with a thermostat.

My Widder vest has been great for the past 2 seasons, including many below 30F rides. I have the on/off switch and it is more than adequate. I just bought the Gerbing liner jacket and installed the permanent mount heattroller on the GS dash. The warm sleeves were a noticeable improvement on last weekend's ride. I expect I'll keep the Widder in the side case for back-up but the Gerbing is going to be the first choice.

Eclisps Web Site

Do you know Eclisps web site address? I tried a Google search and came up with nothing.

By the way, my Gerbings jacket liner with on/off switch works great for me.

Voni
sMiling still

Heat Troller

I just bought the Gerbing liner jacket and installed the permanent mount heattroller on the GS dash.

Whats up with this "permanent mount heattroller" Where do I get one?

I've got the el-cheapo New Age vest ($109.00 Cdn) with a $4.00 Canadian Tire switch on it. Works like a charm. Cycle Canada has an ad for it every issue.

Well, I finally got a Gerbings jacket liner. I had been trying to find one in the spring locally, but none of the local bike shops stock it. The BMW dealer could order it in, but the price they quoted me for a special order was way too much. :cry Then summer came and a mesh jacket seemed more important than heated liners. Well, fall arrived and with it cool mornings are back, so once again my search for warmth resumed. On my recent trip south of the border, I checked at a couple of shops I came by to see if they had the elusive Gerbings in stock. None did. :dunno I was trying to figure out if I could order it from the US to be shipped here, when as luck would have it, the local independent BMW shop, Anderwerks, recieved a big shippment of Gerbings gear. Saturday, the owner was hosting his annual Octoberfest and had a 10% discount for that day on all the new Gerbings stock. Although it was a beautiful 24 C (75 F) , I came home with my new Gerbings jacket liner and controller. Now I'm waiting for the temperature to drop so I can try it out :clap

Thanks to all for the advice.

Voni's next adventure?

Hyder -- as in Alaska, I assume? This is a personal, not an Ayres trip??? And what do you used for heated gear???

Mac

Back