• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What's in that big ol' muffler?

ANDYVH

I always wondered myself, because I am curious about exhaust tuning. The older Oilhead mufflers are known to develop a crack at the weld of the tube to the muffler canister when the bike gets some high miles on it.

When it develops the crack, the sound increases slightly and is actually kind of a better sound than stock. Some people drill out the end cap of the muffler to get some more sound, but in most cases unless you pump in more air and fuel you are not making any more power. It may be slightly better at high rpm, but not at low to mid-range. A Techlusion will help that though.

When my 94 R1100RS developed the crack, I had it TIG-welded to repair it. But I later found another failed one at my dealer and decided to do some research, sawzall wise. I cut the muffler canister off at the weld to the large bend on the CAT section of the exhaust. It cut off quite easily and clean. The attached photo shows the stock innards. The exhaust first comes out the perforated tube. It then resonates in the large volume of the canister (that's beneficial for both low noise and tuning for mid-to-high rpm power). Then the exhaust is directed into the opening at the CAT elbow, makes another 180 degree turn and finally exits through the long bent tube. That long tube is also benficial for quiet sound quality with a low tone frequency.

Once I figured that out, I designed my owm internals based on Flow-Master style mufflers. I got my own special sound and a stronger running bike. But the other design I have considered is a muffler in place of the current CAT, that exits below the bike like a Buell system, with no muffler canister at all to block the view of the rear wheel. Had BMW done that the saddlebags could have been larger capacity still.

Attachments

• StockExhaust.jpg
    StockExhaust.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 178
Ya think!?

Ummm,....well yeah. Can't ride with 6" of snow all around Green Bay. But my mind keeps working on everything to do with cycles.

MUFFLER%20BEARINGS.jpg

Thanks for the research.

Your research is great.

I really would like to make my R1100RT louder. I have looked at the replacement exhausts and do not like the styles. If I could modify the stock that would be great. If looks like the welds need to be cut in two places on the can for any modifications. Can this muffler be modifed without having to rechrome it? Can you post a picture of your new system?

Great Scottt!!!

you have found the all illusive muffler bearing.....

Back