• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Broken saddlebag aluminum latch bracket

brrider

Well, yesterday I was sitting in my den and my 1150RT was sitting in a condor wheel chock. I ride it into the wheel chock every time I pull the bike into the garage. I heard a big CRASH! I ran out to the garage and they was my baby laying on its side. The bike had just fell out of the wheel chock.

I remember reading a articule on lifting this monster and that worked out OK. Then I inspected the damage and it looked as though I may have gotton lucky. The mirror popped off with just a scuff, the cylinder hear was protected by the elf pegs(no damage), but the saddlebag was detached and disconected from the bike.

So the only real damage I can find is on the back side of the saddlebag the lever that comes up to fasten the bag to the bike looks like it has snaped off. The bag is fine except for some small scuffs, however the bag will not lock on the bike.

I am sure I am not the only guy that has his bike fall over.

My question is are there replacement parts? Can this be fixed with out buying a new or used saddlebag?

If so can you give me the link to order the part number, and any tips to replacing this piece of the saddlebag.

Oh the condor wheel chock. I have very little confidence in this stand, and I do not believe I will put it in it unattended any more.

Bump

Wow it is hard to believe I am the only guy that had his bmw fall over and the saddlebag latch lever broke. :scratch

I guess it means a new or used saddle bag replacement:hungover

anybody have any other solutions ?

Wow it is hard to believe I am the only guy that had his bmw fall over and the saddlebag latch lever broke. :scratch

I am trying to visualize what broke and can't pull up the mental image. Granted, I don't have an RT but we have 3 oilheads and I still can't visualize what broke.

More importantly - your Condor chock should not let that happen. If the bike wasn't fully forward in the chock I get it - but if it was then you need to carefully check the bottom pivot pin location to make sure the chock is fully rotating - BUT - still not resting on the bottom plate. This puts the full weight of the front wheel pushing forward on the rear of the tire. If it rotates so far as to contact the bottom then it is only partly gripping the tire. BTDT

The latch mechanism can be replaced. If you look closely at the inner-half of the saddlebag you'll notice that the mechanism is just an insert. I don't know the details of the job, but my dealer was happy to swap mine out at no cost when I bought a new bag-half from him. (I threw a pound of coffee into the deal for the shop guys though.)

The latch mechanism can be replaced. If you look closely at the inner-half of the saddlebag you'll notice that the mechanism is just an insert. I don't know the details of the job, but my dealer was happy to swap mine out at no cost when I bought a new bag-half from him. (I threw a pound of coffee into the deal for the shop guys though.)

OK - I visualize it now - the little "L" shaped tang that comes up to hold the bag on.

You will have to replace the entire handle/latch assembly as far as parts from BMW go. That entails drilling out several pop rivets and installing new pop rivets to hold the new assembly in place. You will also need to remove the lock cylinder from the old assembly and install it in the new one.

So the only real damage I can find is on the back side of the saddlebag the lever that comes up to fasten the bag to the bike looks like it has snaped off. The bag is fine except for some small scuffs, however the bag will not lock on the bike.

Which side? I have a bag in the garage with the latching mechanism in place. Had to fix one that I broke. Might be your Christmas present!

Kevin

Yea that's what I talkin about!

:thumb It is the right side if your sitting on the bike.

Oh I am very careful as to riding the bike into the condor, it was fully in there. This is what I suspect happened. Becuase here in california the temps have been dropping at night time the tire could of lost so air and that caused the bike to keep leanning until whammee!

I think of the damage it would of caused if it happened before my wife had driven the 528i to school in the morning. Now that would of been the double ugly and than my wife would of been pissed too.

Yea! your right about the L bracket that is the one.

Thank you every one for your help and sugestions.....

Brrider:wow

The one I have is for the left side bag. Not sure if they are interchangable, but my guess is not. Can't compare because I have Jesse bags now.

Anyone else know? :dunno I think the key cylinder would be the issue.

Kevin

Picture ???

Picture of what is broken would sure help out here.

I only need the L latch. as that is all that is broken. :banghead

I had an "L" latch broken once and bought a new assembly. Then I attempted to see if the "L" piece alone could be relaced. I found the little slotted bars that move the latch damaged too. You might be lucky and be able to hand build one good one of two but I concluded it would be more problems than it was worth.

Back