Originally posted by cruisin
Yep, it took a few months of serious training to get to the point where he actually rides. In the picture we are rolling along about 15mph. I have had him up to 55 with no problems. The 'sunglasses' are actually doggles made specifically for dogs. I think they come in about 4 or 5 sizes and can be found on E-bay for around $15. The training involved several steps:
1. tank bag (on living room the floor) training with lots of treats
2. doggles training with lots of treats
3. tank bag + doggles training (still on the floor) with lots of treats
4. tank bag on the bike with lots of treats
5. tank bag on a running bike (the RT) with lots of treats
6. tank bag + doggles + running bike with lots of treats
7. tank bag + doggles + rolling bike in garage (Honda Rebel) with lots of treats
8. tank bag + doggles + running bike then driving with lots of treats (do you see a pattern here?)
9. Graduation to the R1200C on the day after his first ride on the Rebel. He went 15 miles and I only had to tell him to sit one time. Even practiced tight, lock-to-lock figure eights in a parking lot with him on the tank. I think he's a natural.
Step 3 of the training.