• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ISO: warm but not bulky gloves with gauntlets

ducatipaso

hey all

...it gets kinda cold here in OR, and the R80 has zero hand protection. I have small hands and do not have a tremendous amount of grip strength, which gets much worse as my mitts get colder.

Should I retrofit some heated grips? Maybe but it's just not quite in tune with the cafe theme. So, I'm looking for advice in gloves.

Warm, not overly bulky, not hyperexpensive.

Thoughts?

Rev-it Fahrenheit (i believe they used to be called Celsius) gloves are an updated version of what i have. while not cheap they're not like Held expensive. a tad "bulky" but anything warm will be. good for below 50-55 or so, too hot above that.

ducatipaso,

Take a look at the simple grip heaters from Symtec and Kimpex. Thin adhesive sheets with integrated heating wires that go under your grips. We put a set of the Kimpex on my XT225 in just a very few minutes. Lots of info on Advrider.com if you want to do a search. Best of luck; I can't tolerate cold hands and gloves just don't do it for me.

Sarah

Heated grips will change your life! Once you try 'em, you will love them.
Might I ask what kind of temps you ride in, or rather want to ride in?
I rode for a couple of winters (here in Michigan) with gloves made for snow boarding, then last year I bought a pair of Tour Master Winter Elite gloves and they do a nice job.
There are some really cool battery operated heated gloves available these days, from $70 and up from what I am seeing.

Heated grips will change your life! Once you try 'em, you will love them.
Might I ask what kind of temps you ride in, or rather want to ride in?
I rode for a couple of winters (here in Michigan) with gloves made for snow boarding, then last year I bought a pair of Tour Master Winter Elite gloves and they do a nice job.
There are some really cool battery operated heated gloves available these days, from $70 and up from what I am seeing.

I had heated grips on my K11RS, I know all about 'em :)

I have neuro problems in my hands that make it tough to ride anywhere below 50F

Maybe a hidden heated grip retrofit will have to be the solution, but I really don't want to clutter up the bike with more wiring as I've been trying sooo hard to reduce it down to nothing.

Battery operated gloves? This sounds nifty, maybe I'll look there.

GS handguards will help. They're readily available.

An alternative would be Hippo Hands, which will enclose your hands in a pocket of still air.

Note that keeping your core warm with a heated jacket or vest will keep your body from pulling blood flow away from your hands and feet. When you get cold, the body does that to protect the organs. That's why we get frostbite on our appendages and not on our stomachs.

GS handguards will help. They're readily available.

An alternative would be Hippo Hands, which will enclose your hands in a pocket of still air.

Note that keeping your core warm with a heated jacket or vest will keep your body from pulling blood flow away from your hands and feet. When you get cold, the body does that to protect the organs. That's why we get frostbite on our appendages and not on our stomachs.

GS handguards are absolutely out. Like I said above, I'm trying to maintain the cleanliness of the bike, which is in cafe style.

The problem with my hands is neurological and is exacerbated by cold. Even with a heated vest on, and a toasty warm core, my hands are still in great pain when they are chilled. I lose grip strength and find it difficult to operate the clutch and throttle. Worse yet, my later /7 cannot accept the easyclutch, which would be a huge benefit for me.

GS handguards are absolutely out. Like I said above, I'm trying to maintain the cleanliness of the bike, which is in cafe style.

The problem with my hands is neurological and is exacerbated by cold. Even with a heated vest on, and a toasty warm core, my hands are still in great pain when they are chilled. I lose grip strength and find it difficult to operate the clutch and throttle. Worse yet, my later /7 cannot accept the easyclutch, which would be a huge benefit for me.

Reynaud's Syndrome, I assume. I have some familiarity with it.

I've got some BMW gloves with phase change material in them that are very warm. Ultimately, though, you need a way to minimize heat loss and perhaps put some back in. Heated grips might be the way to go, along with some decent gloves. The Kimpex stuff is terrific. I've had them on my VFR for 9 years.

Reynaud's Syndrome, I assume. I have some familiarity with it.

I've got some BMW gloves with phase change material in them that are very warm. Ultimately, though, you need a way to minimize heat loss and perhaps put some back in. Heated grips might be the way to go, along with some decent gloves. The Kimpex stuff is terrific. I've had them on my VFR for 9 years.

can you tell me what the BMW gloves are called?

you were on the right track, but it's not Reynauds... it's the after affects of Guillain Barre.

I'm thinking that heated grips it is going to be. It needs to be a super-sano install.

Back