• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R100GSPD questions

willtraubel

willyt
I have a 92 PD which I bought used about 7 years ago and have taken it many places and many miles.. finally gave into the lust for a new GSADV this Fall .. 2007 and beautiful. I did, however, keep the PD... just can't let her go...
The differences: airhead is simpler, and I do all my own work, but needs constant tweaking, which is fine since I can do it myself. Replaced the charging system with one from Euromotoelectrics a couple years ago... makes all the difference. Also run a Fox Twin Clicker on the back, fork brace, K+N filter, Supertrapp exhaust, re-jetted carbs.
Yet even with all the improvements, she still handles like crap in the corners, knocks pings and whines when I need a good dose of horsepower, rattles my fillings even with a fresh carb-synch and tune up, and my driveshaft blew apart at 50k miles even though she sees largely paved roads and always has luggage on the back (just got back the beautifully rebuilt one from Brunos in Ontario). So, she has character and I know her, but....
The new ADV is generations beyond... so much smoother, safer and handles like I never thought a bike like this could. I can go all day without an ache and hit some dirt like it was pavement. Truly a magnificent bike... then again, I haven't had to fix or service her yet... and when it comes to that.. I can see that she won't be hard to service myself, and even repairs won't be any more or less difficult then any other new bike..
Guess what I'm saying is... for slower paced not so far riding, you can't beat the PD.. sort of like taking an old Jeep for a tour.. it'll get you there, just beat you up a bit.
The ADV is the Land Rover... a fantastic long distance ride, but not as repair friendly.
If you want to ride with a friend, get the PD, just avoid anything resembling highways or panic stops, and set aside some time for repairs and upgrades. If you want to simply ride, get the ADV, set a turnaround point of 300 miles for a day trip, and set aside some money for repairs..

If you had both for a while, you could then compare them.

If you don't like the Airhead, it will still be easier to sell on than your R1200 anyway.

"If you had both for a while, you could then compare them."

"Decisions, decisions...why torture yourself... Get both!!".

Thanks for all the comments. I have decided to get both, at least for awhile. I've bought the PD but haven't picked her up yet (Denver). I live in the frigid midwest and am in no hurry to bring her home so I'm having some work done. Namely a transmission/driveshaft inspection and I'm also replacing the the charging system with the Euromotoelectrics system just like willyt suggests. (BTW, I had a black lab named WillyT. He was named after the first black driver in the Indy 500: Willy T. Ribbs)

I'm familiar w/ the R12GS and am looking forward to the comparison. I think I'll pick up the PD in January and, weather permitting, head south to Austin, TX where I can store her til Spring. Then, I think it would be fun to dip down into Mexico for a week or so.

I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but have never wrenched an airhead. Can anyone recommend a good book/DVD/manual that covers the basics?

Thanks again to all.

Having an Airhead really almost requires becoming a member of the "Airhead" Club. Lots of good information. I have three mannuals, the BMW owners manual, the Clymer, and Haynes. All have their own benefits, but the most accurate is always the Airhead guru's... Congrats on both bikes...

I DO value reliability, dependibility and comfortable performance.

You must be talking about an airhead GS.

I've read that the electicals are not so reliable on the R100s.

So have I, yet in the 17 years that I've owned my R100 GS, I have yet to have a problem with any electricals. I even run a heated vest and gloves.

In fact, the original Mareg battery finally failed in the middle of the 9th year. I don't think my oilhead GS battery will last anywhere that long. Thats progress. :laugh

Bottom line: I have two airheads GSes and two oilhead GSes. If I had to sell two of them, both oilhead GSes would go.

I own an 07GSA and two R100PDs. If I could only have one, it would be one of the R100PDs. Not because it is better than the 07 (performance or reliability) but because it is simple and fun (remember fun?).

I own an 07GSA and two R100PDs. If I could only have one, it would be one of the R100PDs.

Bottom line: I have two airheads GSes and two oilhead GSes. If I had to sell two of them, both oilhead GSes would go

That's what I want to hear! I'm a bit of a minimalist and the airheads appeal to my minimalist senses. However, I've now got two motorcycles and feel a little guilty about it.

You have a GSPD Classic?!? I love the looks of those! My PD is the gawdawful lavender/white color. I'd love to paint it the Classic black, but don't wan't to look like a poseur. Part of my reason for riding to Austin after I pick it up is that I have access to some good painters there. I intend to give it a repaint and would like to paint it black, but not try to make it look too much like a Classic. It's a '93 and has the old style round covers on it now. I'm contemplating going back to the '93 square covers just so that it looks appropriate.

Please, please, please post a pic or two of your Classic. Or for that matter any other GS or PD.

Haynes and Clymers will soon be ordered. I also found this DVD on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BMW-R100GS-PARI...ryZ76120QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BMWr100GSPD 1995, 60000 kms

Hello, I am the proud owner of a BMW R100 GSPD, 1995. Reliable and agile (60,000km). The problem is that it vibrates around 4000 rpm and this on virtually all speeds of the transmission. Before 4000 rpm and after 5000 rpm it does not vibrate. The bike is in an A1 state. Would anyone have any idea where these vibrations might come from? Thank you and ride carefully.

Have your carbs been synced or balanced? If they're out of adjustment or balance even a little that can cause a vibration at a given rpm. Does it vibrate at the same rpm in each gear? If so I'd suspect carbs, if not, may be something else. Drivetrain vibration usually doesn't get better with increased rpm. Good luck with your project. Great bike that needs some ridin'.

Back