• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Photo Assignment: Weekend 12/8/07

Women and scented candles? Where in the evolutionary calendar did those two converge?

Mrs L, can rarely take a bath, without first bedecking the bathroom like a saint's shrine. And all those years striving for electricity...wasted!

White you say. I'll give you eggshell...now I'm frightening myself!

Oh, god, I'm going to hurt myself if this insanity keeps up!

Please Tom, save us all and post the next challenge! Ha Ha!

RM

The orange thing revealed

This is a gazing ball in our front yard. The base is an antique from a long closed Downtown Kansas City MO Department Store Harzfeld's. We have the original ball, but the one you see is a new one. I took the shot hand held looking straight down at the top of the ball on an overcast day. Thanks for playing along.

232142844-L.jpg

This is a gazing ball in our front yard. The base is an antique from a long closed Downtown Kansas City MO Department Store Harzfeld's. We have the original ball, but the one you see is a new one. I took the shot hand held looking straight down at the top of the ball on an overcast day. Thanks for playing along.

232142844-L.jpg

We also have a gazing ball in our yard and I have been thinking of trying a Escher type photo using it based on his hand holding the ball showing his reflection. With the addition of the snow/frost on top that could be a lot fun. If you're unfamiliar with the print of which I speak it is this one

LW268.jpg

I've tried my hand at a simple sketch based on this, it is amazingly difficult to get the proportions correct.

RM

I think the crew is worried on you getting burned out. I suggest you make the assignment and everybody sticks to the rules ( I found that Titling or is it Titleing) the photo was both fun and made me think............:banghead Everybody self-edits there weekend masterpieces and submits one photo to the "Assignment" thread. In addition to the Assignment there is a companion thread of the same topic called "Gallery" Here is where we can post our other masterpieces and frolic about with comments regarding our fellow submitters ( uh, that's a word, ain't it?) work. You can peruse the gallery and add pictures from there to your critiques when they illustrate techniques that we can learn from.

Oh, that's not a cat in "Good boy" that is a person walking their dog inside the mall. It's the upper level of a staircase I was on. I saw this exact image, went the 5 minutes back to my house to retrieve my camera, and lurked on the landing waiting for another shopper to parade their dog inside the mall as for the Swiss and the French walking dogs inside malls and restaurants is a "pattern".

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner.

This is very thoughtful and I appreciate how many people seem to be concerned about the workload on these threads. I think your ideas are quite good. We had the "anarchy" threads for a while. . . . Not sure why those fell by the wayside. I think a given assignment seems to be a single conversation and perhaps we are reluctant to split it in two.

Rocketman has thrown a proposal out to the web team about having our own photography home. Maybe one would take care of the other. I've been kicking around a number of ideas for the assignment threads, some or none of which could be implemented with the new year. It would be simple enough for me to set up a "Gallery" thread with each assignment. I guess I just want to hear what others think. There's more than a handful of regulars who have a vested interest. What do you all think about having a Gallery/Anarchy thread for each assignment?

Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner.

This is very thoughtful and I appreciate how many people seem to be concerned about the workload on these threads. I think your ideas are quite good. We had the "anarchy" threads for a while. . . . Not sure why those fell by the wayside. I think a given assignment seems to be a single conversation and perhaps we are reluctant to split it in two.

Rocketman has thrown a proposal out to the web team about having our own photography home. Maybe one would take care of the other. I've been kicking around a number of ideas for the assignment threads, some or none of which could be implemented with the new year. It would be simple enough for me to set up a "Gallery" thread with each assignment. I guess I just want to hear what others think. There's more than a handful of regulars who have a vested interest. What do you all think about having a Gallery/Anarchy thread for each assignment?

Well being the photo post whore I am quite naturally I think its a great idea!:thumb Of course then I'm going to have pick and choose my shots for the main thread more carefully (oddly enough the one that folks liked best from my last set was the one I had the most doubts about, :scratch ) which really might again be another way to learn about the work you submit. If there was a parallel thread or gallery then you could always add comments there, such my fellings above, and in so doing still get some feed back. here again, as you get to "know" your audience you learn something, that ability is also a part of photography. Which is not to say that should be the main factor by any means, but rather it is just another skill. As you share your work, you will come to know better what is most likely to please the individual/group with which you wish to share those images.

RM

232142844-L.jpg

You evil so and so. There's no way I'd ever have guessed that!
I didn't even know they existed...shame on you for being so obscure. In future may I please request you stick to indoor decorations, where at least if I can't work out what it is, I can refer to a dulux colour chart and make fun of your paint scheme. Respectfully yours...:thumb

You evil so and so. There's no way I'd ever have guessed that!
I didn't even know they existed...shame on you for being so obscura. In future may I please request you stick to indoor decorations, where at least if I can't work out what it is, I can refer to a dulux colour chart and make fun of your paint scheme. Respectfully yours...:thumb

No, THIS is a CAMERA OBSCURA!

180px-

or this one

sfco[1].jpg

at the clifhouse project in SF. Say we should send Kbase on a mission to photograph this and report back, looks totally kool! talk about getting "in to your work" ! Ha Ha!

RM

Woah. Is this a giant camera obscura?

Yes, and it works. It's behind what used to be called the Cliff House, or maybe your more familiar with Pronto Pups. OK, near the Sutro Baths, then head down hill towards Seal Rock.

Last edited:
Yes, and it works. It's behind what used to be called the Cliff House, or maybe your more familiar with Pronto Pups. OK, near the Sutro Baths, then head down hill towards Seal Rock.
Is that near the dog park near Land's End?

Camera Obscura

Is that near the dog park near Land's End?

OK, that's pretty close. The road along the ocean by Ocean Beach is called The Great Highway, at the north end it's called Pt. Lobos Ave. The GIANT CAMERA is right where Pt. Lobos avenue takes the hook inland (eastward) at the top of the hill.

OK, that's pretty close. The road along the ocean by Ocean Beach is called The Great Highway, at the north end it's called Pt. Lobos Ave. The GIANT CAMERA is right where Pt. Lobos avenue takes the hook inland (eastward) at the top of the hill.
Oh, yeah, that is close. I've only been there one time. I thought I recognized one of the rocks with all the bird crap on it. Probably a bunch of those of the coast there.

There's a shot of that camera on Google Earth which someone took from the Cliff House.

Back