• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Changing rear brake line

drswift

After my last ride I discovered brake fluid all over my rear wheel and right side case. Closer inspection suggests the hose has separated from the crip connection next to the caliper. Replacing the hose looks fairly easy, but I just started doing my own maintenance on this R1100RT(with ABS), and I am somewhat concerned about how to bleed out air from the system once I replace the hose. Do I just treat it like a brake fluid flush?

I'd say you should be able to treat it like a brake system flush. The rear master cylinder is lower than the ABS modulator, but I doubt the system fluid has drained out from above the rear brake resevoir. Here is a chance to do two upgrades.
I would replace the failed hose with a stainless-steel braided brake hose from Spiegler or Russel, its a much better hose than the stock one. Also, I would install a SpeedBleeder caliper bleeder nipple in place of the stock one. It makes blleding the brakes much simpler, with more positive results.

I would not replace the brake hose with a stock hose. I deal in hydraulic hose for my job, and stock brake hose is some of the least expensive hose out there. Upgrade to the good stuff.

Back