• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin 2610 to Autocom adapters?

jbfields3

Is there a special lead or jack to connect the 2610 to an Autocom?

I've been using a 2610 the last few months and find it to be pretty nice. I did re-mount my old GPS V for storing tracks of where I've been. The 2610 does not have enough memory to prevent overwriting and loosing details from early in the day.

This last week, I added an Autocom and looked forward to being able to hear voice instructions in my helmet instead of having to take my eyes off the road. I suspect that the wire that I routed to the GPS was meant for some audio (stereo) device as it only kinda works. If it is pushed in all the way I only hear buzzing and not words. If I pull the lead out part way I can hear words with a lot of static.

The Garmin output is mono. If you plugged it into a stereo input on the Autocom that may explain some of the problem if not all. I used a cord supplied by Autocom to connect to my Garmin. I think there was also an adapter that accepted that cord and plugged into the Autocom. Mine works flawlessly, with good sound, and it reduces volume on the stereo whenever "Michelle" speaks.

When connecting the Garmin to your Autocom, you need an isolation transformer. The audio circuits have different ground references. I believe Autocom makes an adapter.

I made one for ~$2.00 from some Radio Shack parts.

Back