• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

07 ride is finished...maybe

HFbmw

Weather people and most media persons have been hyping the storm which is or was barreling down.. err up to the midwest. This morning I checked the weather maps on the tv and yep the clouds were in place. However Minnesota had dry dew points over the night time hours.
Its was snowing alright but too the air was too dry to let the moisture hit the pavement.
Took the keys for the K1100RS out with me. I had planned to go up to work and spread salt at the doorways of this church building that I manage.
Stared at the K bike, looked outside at the clouds and dry pavement...

I noticed as I rode by the bank that the clock was at 7:10 am. Did see a few flurries as I rode. Not too far. However the temperature was around 20 degrees and the bike kept me warm or rather the excitement of one last ride in 07!

I can't claim I ride every day... I do ride every month though! So 2007 is in the log as a complete ride. Now if the weather warms maybe I can take the bike out and enjoy a white winter ride!

As of 4pm we have 4 inches of white and blowing snow. However I also have a smile of contentment.

tim lindstrom
columbia heights, mn
95 k1100RS... hibernating maybe

Oh surely there will be another opportunity in Dec to ride. Actually, I thought the same thing so I went out this morning as well. Got a few blocks away & it started snowing, so I turned around & came home.

I've ridden every month I've owned a bike, & since it was clear this morning, I figured I might as well get December taken care of just in case... :wave

I spent all day doing last minute yard work. Lots of time was spent cleaning leaves out of the gutters (hauling around a large ladder since it's a two story house), hauling in flowerpots, raking leaves for the last time, and other "winterizing" projects. I finished around 4:45; right as it was getting dark. Imagine my surprise an hour later when I got up to close the blinds and saw everything covered in a layer of white. First snow of the year; how fitting for December 1st.

Time to pull the GS apart and get working on making it "expedition ready". I still have the R80 for those few days I'll have to ride between now and spring.

All done

It is snowing here in Wis. Suppose to get 6 inches.:cry. I did have a good thing happen though. My RS fairing is repainted, picked up and ready to put back my R80.:clap YEA. Thanks to Tim the red looks so great. Santa came early. Spring will be here soon. This is the time of year I wished I lived in a warmer place. :brow

in Chicago

It was hard enogh to drive a car in Chicago today, let alone a cycle.

We're waiting patiently in Michigan for the storm to work its way here. I had some of the same thoughts as our western neighbors, and got on the RT for a little ride. The temperature was in the low 20's and I had Gerbings pants, jacket and gloves keeping me warm. Funny, but it always seems colder when the sky is gray and the wind is blowing.

Alabama

Sorry about all the snow and cold weather. Forecast for the next few days. Rides planned for the 3rd thru the 5th.

Dec 1 Mostly Clear N/A/49?? 10%
Dec 2 PM Showers 71??/45?? 30%
Dec 3 Sunny 55??/30?? 0%
Dec 4 Sunny 59??/35?? 10%
Dec 5 Mostly Cloudy 63??/36?? 20%

M Benson
Alabaster, AL
1997 R1100Rt

Today was the official start of Winter for me in Indiana, I live in a suburb of Notre Dame. The snow forecast was such that I went out and put the "curb stakes" in so.

Curb stakes are stakes at the curb so that when the snow is plowed the driver knows where the curb is and my yard starts. I also put them in for the driveway so I can know where the snowblower is supposed to go.

They kind of looks like these...

REFLECTIVE%20MARKER.jpg

6 inches of snow on the ground, 1 inch of packed ice on the side streets, main streets being plowed as we speak, low of -25C tonight, high of -14C tomorrow.

The season has been over for 3 weeks and will not resume until April.

Winnioeg wins

I always forget the types of winters canada gets, it's easy to get narrow minded in Chicago thinking these winters are sooo bad. Still wish it would be dry and 40.

Here I thought I was done riding for a while, but I was wrong! :)

I took today off to do some Christmas shopping and burn a vacation day. It's dry and hovering right around freezing. After putting up with people in the stores I went into, I was ready to do something fun. I came home, get the GS out, checked the tires (needed air!), and got layer upon layer of clothing on; including my heated vest. I ended up riding about 65-70 miles, not bad. The main part of my ride was running Route 65 along the over-full Maumee river. I ride this road frequently during the summer along with many other riders - but I was the only one out today. Aside from a few "Wet" sections that I took slowly (could have been icy), it was a nice trip, and the GS ran pretty well.

Right before I got home I stopped and picked up one more Christmas gift and then finished my trip. I was stopped at a traffic light waiting to turn left and a truck was turning to go in the direction I came. When the driver saw me, he smiled and gave me a "Nod". I'm assuming he thought I was crazy, or he's a rider and understands why I was out in freezing temperatures.

I may not get out again for a while, but it felt good to ride, today. Really, really good. :thumb

Wednesday

Here I thought I was done riding for a while, but I was wrong! :)

I took today off to do some Christmas shopping and burn a vacation day. It's dry and hovering right around freezing. After putting up with people in the stores I went into, I was ready to do something fun. I came home, get the GS out, checked the tires (needed air!), and got layer upon layer of clothing on; including my heated vest. I ended up riding about 65-70 miles, not bad. The main part of my ride was running Route 65 along the over-full Maumee river. I ride this road frequently during the summer along with many other riders - but I was the only one out today. Aside from a few "Wet" sections that I took slowly (could have been icy), it was a nice trip, and the GS ran pretty well.

Right before I got home I stopped and picked up one more Christmas gift and then finished my trip. I was stopped at a traffic light waiting to turn left and a truck was turning to go in the direction I came. When the driver saw me, he smiled and gave me a "Nod". I'm assuming he thought I was crazy, or he's a rider and understands why I was out in freezing temperatures.

I may not get out again for a while, but it felt good to ride, today. Really, really good. :thumb

Down here in Mansfield, Wednesday was great for riding--sunshine, not much wind, dry, salt-free roads, 34 degrees. I was out for an hour and a half. Pretty nice.

Been riding just about every day here in the Washington/Baltimore area. It's been in the 40's to high 50's. As long as it stays above 30 and the roads stay clear it's enjoyable without having to get suited up in that heated gear. This was taken today outside of Gettysburg, PA

12-26-07Ride004.jpg

We've been fortunate here in western ND to have clear roads and no snow in December. That is highly unusual.

I was able to get in a Christmas day ride!

236221231-L.jpg

Got in a Christmas Eve Ride!

I managed to sneak in a Christmas Eve Ride... My bike was happy to be out, and I was grinning from ear to ear for the entire time.

Is it spring yet?:bikes

Ended the year like it started...

Riding!!! I rode the bike to work today (I guess since it's after midnight, I mean yesterday) on a clear gorgeous California day. It was in the mid-30s when I left for work at 7:10 for my 40-mile commute to Salinas. Beautiful skies, partially painted with high clouds, lots of con-trails (from high-flying aircraft) and the sun coming up over the mountains.
Got away from work at 3 to make my way home on the last day of the year. Windy (I estimate a steady Easterly wind of ~20 mph with gusts to 30 mph) but that kept things clear. What a blessing to be able to ride the motor to work year 'round!!
2007 started out the same for me with a fantastic 340-mile round trip ride from my home, down the Highway 1 on the coast thru Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur and past Hearst Castle. Then over to Paso Robles, up Highway 101 and home again. Warm day, clear cold night.
RIDE ON MY FRIENDS - BE SAFE AND SMART IN 2008!!

No last rides this winter

Good riding today in Ohio. 65 degrees, sunshine and dry, salt free roads. I rode the bser first and then took the R100RT out. A real January treat.

Back