• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Photo Assignment: Weekend 12/1/07

R

rocketman

elements? Hmm......

Like a picture of a big "O"?

Now where did I put that periodic table anyway???:brad

RM

The Last

227084489-M.jpg

Now this is what I'm talkin' about. Clever title, thoughtful composition, dramatic angle. Compare this to the photo above; though both worthy images, I prefer the second one. Not the smallest constituent part, a very small part of what was obviously a much larger whole.

In talking about composition, would you have included the natural bit (the tree) in the far left margin? I can see arguments for yes and no.

Beautiful shot. 200 bonus points for posting the picture within 8 hours of the start time.

In talking about composition, would you have included the natural bit (the tree) in the far left margin? I can see arguments for yes and no.

I was more interested in the columns straddling the bottom corner of the frame and creating that blue sword shape within the columns and the corner of the frame. Putting myself in the position that removed the tree, removed the various blue sky shapes, which I kinda like.

These are actual Roman columns in Nyon, Switzerland. It's funny how the subconscious works. When I read the assignment, all I could think of was a clove of garlic......... I was riding the moto this morning down to the lake and when I saw the columns, the light went on.

Oh, I was chopping garlic for tonight's dinner when the title "Pi" came to me......hmmm

And for the record, this is the first assignment I've ever turned in early.......

Interesting, I never knew the Romans invaded Switzerland! :brad

great shot. tree or no tree? Hmmm... I too would probably have gone the no tree route, if that had been possible, as well, though it doesn't have any seriously negative impact with this shot as it is so "removed" from the whole being mere wisps of thin branches, and at least the placement within the frame and the manor in which they line the edge just between the column and top of the picture does add a nice fringe just in that section. (boy, talk about a non-comitial statement! Ha Ha!)

RM

Cr - Chrome is an element right? :dance Oh wait...this may be photoshopped...

2053534795_19642f3f34.jpg
Shhhhhh.........
not too mention that the "blue" in the rondel is not exactly "blue" and we all know how sensitive BMW is about the proper use, display and color correctness of the rondel!:brad Quick, remove it before we all get hit with a big law suit! Ha Ha!

RM

(sorry 'bout that, now back to your regularly scheduled maddness, already in progress....)

Busy bees

Interesting, I never knew the Romans invaded Switzerland! :brad

RM

Yes, the Romans got around. You can find their litter ( bridges, roads, aqueducts, coliseums....) as far north as England, they never did get Germany, despite the great scene in The Gladiator they never established settlements there. To the west they held as far as Spain and Portugal, North African coast all the way from Morroco to Egypt, eastward all of Turkey to Iraq and above that, all of the current Baltic/Slavic countries ( formerly Yugoslavia and who can keep track of what they're called this week:dunno

I'm still looking for that one coin that they left behind, that would make some serious Bling for my 12 year old at his disco:blah

Yes, the Romans got around. You can find their litter ( bridges, roads, aqueducts, coliseums....) as far north as England, they never did get Germany, despite the great scene in The Gladiator they never established settlements there. To the west they held as far as Spain and Portugal, North African coast all the way from Morroco to Egypt, eastward all of Turkey to Iraq and above that, all of the current Baltic/Slavic countries ( formerly Yugoslavia and who can keep track of what they're called this week:dunno

I'm still looking for that one coin that they left behind, that would make some serious Bling for my 12 year old at his disco:blah

heck, who didn't invade England at one time or another?:laugh
RM

What Am I?

For my first entry I thought i'd start out with a little game...

you all remember "What Am I?" right?

so here goes....

I am black, although some of my brethren come in chrome or shinny steel.
I sit at the junction between solid and liquid
I pivot and move
I enjoy flying down the road, feeling the wind on my smooth surface and the firm, warm touch of my companion
I am strong though sometimes my existence has ended abruptly and I find myself laying in shattered ruin by the side of road
I am an essential (one could even say ÔÇ£pivotalÔÇØ) part of the whole
I am responsible for imparting forward momentum to the assemblage of which I belong

What Am I?

0083-handle-web.jpg

RM

here it is again only in blue, note this was not done by photoshopping it, I used a different color temperature setting in the camera, shooting RAW as above and faster shutter speed. Also in the one above I used both slow and rear curtain with a longer exposure and discovered the flash actually would then flash twice, at the start of the shot and end, so by using an off-camera flash cord I could move the flash between firings to get a more even lighting. I shot these looking INTO the mirror of the LT while holding a white sheet behind the handle bar in the first one, so you would not see anything else in the reflection. The blue shot being so much darker I didn't really need to. I used a 90 mm fixed lens and large F stop to ensure shallow depth of field shooting close up.

Camera mounted on tripod in both shots.

handle two
in blue.

0073-blue-handle-web.jpg

RM

Trigger-finger

one, or perhaps you could view it as two, the pusher (finger) and the pushed (shutter release button) of the quintessential elements of any successful photographic effort

again with 90 mm lens shooting into a mirror, bathroom this time, on tripod, close crop. No flash.

0107-trigger-finger-crop-web.jpg

RM

Trigger-finger

one, or perhaps you could view it as two, the pusher (finger) and the pushed (shutter release button) of the quintessential elements of any successful photographic effort

again with 90 mm lens shooting into a mirror, bathroom this time, on tripod, close crop. No flash.

0107-trigger-finger-crop-web.jpg

RM

This is a really cool shot, very imaginative. I am entirely impressed by your immaculately groomed fingernails.

Village idiot

Weeping window........
227719304-M.jpg

an element of this church, village, canton, country, continent, hemisphere, planet, solar sytem, galaxy, cosmos......oh, no........

227719302-S.jpg

Stoned!
227719299-M-2.jpg

again, and again, and again........

227719294-S.jpg

Back